Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-26-2013, 09:42 AM   #127

Wouldn't it be wise to have the word "Disabled" as a part of the name so that searches are easier and searches from the outside internet world could lead someone to iRV2 for additional input?

I can't imagine anyone being offended by the use of the word Disabled, but in my world some do wince at the use of the word Handicapped. Trust me, disabled or handicapped people are very used to either word. It is their world. Their daily struggles are far more challenging than worrying about words.

Call it like it is. It would be a group to share and gain information related to Disabled Persons in the RV'ing community.

Don

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2013, 10:41 AM   #128
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Right on Don.

The word "Disabled" is visible on just about every States license plate for those with disabilities. And the blue placard hanging from the mirror usually has "Handicapped" written on it. Many would prefer to be called "disabled" instead of "handicapped."

Extract from the University of Delaware

"All disabled people are impaired, and all handicapped people are disabled, but a person can be impaired and not necessarily be disabled, and a person can be disabled without being handicapped."

However, it is not the word in the title of the thread that makes the article searchable. it is the META TAG in the header of the page that triggers search engines. There is also a META TAG for a web page to "NO-FOLLOW" which will cause the search bots to just move past and not index the page.

I'm not sure how the internal site search engine works but the admins can straighten that out. I personally prefer the generic term "disabled." It is not a stigma.

It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:42 AM   #129
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Please don't use the word "handicapped" as part of the forum's name. Many find it offensive due to it's association -- begging with cap in hand. The more politically correct term is "disabled".
okmunky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:10 PM   #130

Workhorse Chassis Owner
In my case, I am not disabled, but I am handicapped when trying to do certain things as compared to non handicapped people. I have the ability to walk, drive a vehicle normally, can even ride a bicycle, and can lift some items. I am handicapped because, I can't walk very fast or far, I can't lift very much, or for very long, bicycling leaves me winded with a pounding heart after 1 block of pedaling, so I consider myself as handicapped or limited, in what activities I can do when compared to "normal persons". Disabled, or handicapped, doesn't much matterr which word is used. Just don't use abnormal, now that would be offensive!!!!
Old 01-26-2013, 12:35 PM   #131

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR
As so often is the case topics seem to stray off topic and the suggestion that money is the driving point is uncalled for even if from uniformed sources.

Some also need to take into account the tone of their posts this thread will not deteriorate any further than it has, so please keep it on topic and quit with the personal jabs.
Thank you for your service as a moderator. While I detect some "tone" in your direction to perhaps me and others - you are a mod and can proceed any way your choose. I do not mean to offend now - or in my previous posts. I apologize to any and all who may have taken offense.

That said - regarding money - it makes things happen - puts a Motorhome beneath me and food on my table. It is not evil and does much good. For clarification purposes - I was serious about a donation if that was needed to help get things started.

So here is my question. Does iRv2 take donations either for specific purposes or to the general fund? Or is it offensive and out of line to discuss such things? When I saw that things were moving ahead - I looked for a way to donate the $150 because I was willing to put my money where my mouth was. I could find no way to do so.

Now as to tone in general - I usually use the iPhone app and the smileys and such emotes must be typed and I don't know all the short hands. So I generally try not to be too sarcastic or attempt humor without using the only one I know but it didn't seem appropriate in trying to address creating a forum for RVers with Varying Abilities - or whatever it ends up being tagged.

Please let me know about the donation policy and accept my apologies for any unintended offense.

I commend the staff for taking action to meet a need that seems to be of interest to many and I look forward to participating in the future.
Steve and Annie
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:52 PM   #132
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post

So here is my question. Does iRv2 take donations either for specific purposes or to the general fund?

Steve and Annie
There are no programs or avenues know to me that the iRV2 board accepts donations nor requests them. With all the years of history behind iRV2 there is always the possibility I could be mistaken about the past, I like everyone else here do not know it all or have all the answers.

I can not speak to what may or may not have happened at any rallies because I have absolutely no idea what so ever.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:06 PM   #133
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
John, I have to disagree with your statement regarding donations.

A "Supporter" is just a donation under a different word since it is not a requirement to belong to this forum. Many will argue that there are additional benefits, but recently every member became a supporter and could still "donate."
Old 01-26-2013, 01:11 PM   #134

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:

There are no programs or avenues know to me that the iRV2 board accepts donations nor requests them. With all the years of history behind iRV2 there is always the possibility I could be mistaken about the past, I like everyone else here do not know it all or have all the answers.

I can not speak to what may or may not have happened at any rallies because I have absolutely no idea what so ever.
Thank you. Maybe something could be added to the online store or a button elsewhere. Being a supporter doesn't contribute much - and the price should not be raised - lol - but some folks might like to provide a little more support - maybe not. But in this case - I would. I like free things but realize everything costs somebody something. Just a though and not the place to pursue. Thanks again.
Old 01-26-2013, 01:39 PM   #135
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
John, I have to disagree with your statement regarding donations.

A "Supporter" is just a donation under a different word since it is not a requirement to belong to this forum. Many will argue that there are additional benefits, but recently every member became a supporter and could still "donate."
I do not consider the sponsor program as a donation as the question was asked, the supporter program is just that assistance in the general operation of the board. Could you please point me to where "every member became a supporter" and could still "donate."" and I will consider myself corrected at that time as well as answering Steves question.

Steve I guess we'll both wait a bit for a better answer.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:50 PM   #136

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:

I do not consider the sponsor program as a donation as the question was asked, the supporter program is just that assistance in the general operation of the board. Could you please point me to where "every member became a supporter" and could still "donate."" and I will consider myself corrected at that time as well as answering Steves question.

Steve I guess we'll both wait a bit for a better answer.
I posed my question in iRV2 Forum Issues which was probably not the right place either but thought it might reach the right people that way.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:46 PM   #137
Moderator Emeritus

Sorry I have been away from this thread for a few days - had to attend to my wife's own special medical needs for one whole day and then provide some help to some animals with special needs, specifically funds to create an expanded animal refuge here in north-central Florida.

It looks like some interesting ideas have been circulated and some opinions shared, so I won't try to add anything further just now.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:12 PM   #138
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
JohnRR,
I'm not hijacking this thread anymore than it has been hijacked, but if you do a search on "donation" you will see the word used in many thread dating back to 2008, possibly earlier, I'm not going to take the time to search for you, nor debate you. Please check with Andy, NLOVNIT, JanetH, as they, and others have posted where donations were accepted. So please do your own homework if you need to. I am not mentioning these items again.

Thanks for your posts, and your work as an administrator.

Happy trails.

To Andy, Lory and Janet, sorry I had to use your names, but it was posts with the word "donation" in it that triggered the response.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:26 AM   #139

My husband calls himself handicapable!!
Old 01-27-2013, 10:35 AM   #140

iRV2 No Limits Club
Having worked with Developmentally Disabled Adults I have found many people are very sensitive to any labels. Some do not mind handicapped most dislike disabled and others prefer "physically challenged".

With my back problems I find myself to be "Physically Challenged" at times.
Utilizing my back support and pain pills I can do 90% of what I use to do.
They want to do surgery on 5 compressed disks but I am too stubborn for that.

Plus my wife is recovering from open heart surgery; a heart valve replacement, that occurred in December. So I am in the role of caregiver.

Conversation on how each of us adapts helps even those that have not yet faced
these problems. As we grow older we all will face something, if we have not already. How we can adapt to the RV lifestyle will not be found anywhere in any study or text, except in forms among fellow RV enthusiasts.

Tags
disabled, disabled rvers, handicap, handicapped