Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-18-2013, 03:22 PM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
People with disabilities constitute the nation's largest minority group, and the only group any of us can become a member of at any time.

If you, a family member, friend or loved one is not - odds are one or more of you will be before the bell tolls.

Enough said.

flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2013, 07:31 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Unfortunately, so many people with disabilities, would never dream of doing the RV lifestyle. There are very few on this site that are really disabled, or that have a totally disabled family member that they want to travel with. There are MANY on here collecting disability, displaying disability plates or placards, or declared legally disabled. Most of these people can walk in and out of their RVs without out too much difficulty. I see all the time disabled vets that are discussing the maintenance and repairs they perform on their RVs. I would bet 20% of the members on this site fall into the category of disabled. However, the truly disabled, the people that have to pay everyone for every single service they receive, can do nothing but barely take care of themselves, constitutes less than 1% of this site membership.

Maybe the best way to start a forum like this would be a wheelchair forum. Members with disabilities that require them or a member of their family to be wheelchair bound. That would be a start, but to throw out something like a general disabilities forum would not be targeted enough.

Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:06 PM   #17

iRV2 No Limits Club
How to RV economically with a handicap has been one of my intrests. This, particularly for those with limited means is problematic. We own a very sophisticated teardrop trailer. The access from a wheelchair to the interior and the rear galley and low cost of both construction and towing.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:19 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I can assure you our son Christopher can do nothing for himself He is truly disabled. It is a real chore to get him in and out of our Holiday Rambler Navigator. It is a 1996 40ft no slides. I have looked into lifts etc as we are getting to the age that can make it difficult to help. Any time you looks at lifts etc the costs are extremely high it seems. He is on Medicade as we could no way afford all the care and expense. As I said the everyday care such as diapers,feeding is done by us. He is a real joy but can also be a real trial.

There is nothing more frustrating than people that take advantage of the "system" with regard to disability even down to parking permits etc.

Just a vent I guess!! Sometime it does help to just speak it out and on a forum it is eaiser as its kind of faceless.

Thanks for the opportunity

Regards
Stephen S.
'96 Holiday Rambler
Old 01-18-2013, 08:23 PM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
WoW - many, very few, 20%, 1%. Not disabled enough - too disabled. Somebody's been studying the "hard data". Wheelchair only for a forum because disabled is too broad is like saying chassis manufacturer is too broad and we need air brakes only. Why not make humor Sven and Ole only while were at it. Varying Abilities or Handicapped is specific enough and not necessarily of interest to the general population.

Having a forum of it's own would, as the OP indicated - organize the threads specific to the handicapped. Just my opinion.

On Edit: I don't think this is thread that should be used to deride the gamers or schemers. Concede they exist. Again - my opinion.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:36 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post
We create new forums when we see sufficient posts to sustain a new forum.

Unfortunately, there have not been enough posts on this topic to warrant a new forum at this time.
Dirk,

We have had 20 posts in 24 hours. That is probably not enough for your quota but I assure you that the handicap population is in the minority and will probably never generate the number of posts you expect with other more popular topics. But, there certainly is a need for this exchange.

Handicaps come in all shapes and sizes and more of the population is going to come across "challenges" as the baby boomers move on into their 70's.

Heck, I would think those in their late 70's and 80's who don't consider themselves "handicapped" might benefit from the discussion.

Plus, I see you joined in after only 8 posts! Maybe a bit premature?

I always enjoy your insight and wisdom but I echo the desire for a board of this type.

Don
Old 01-18-2013, 09:05 PM   #21

I have some friends who have a parent that is handicapped. They use a toy hauler to go camping with. It is difficult for them to find the right location that works for them.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:08 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
RV.net does have a section, just looked at it and it had four posts over the past 14 days. I would agree that it would be useful, but probably not enough traffic to warrant one here, too.
Luv2go is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:10 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caveman CBB View Post
I have some friends who have a parent that is handicapped. They use a toy hauler to go camping with. It is difficult for them to find the right location that works for them.
It is difficult but there are many websites where you can get some limited information on campsites that are accessible and those that are not. Also, these websites offer some insight on disability access issues and living the disabled life in an RV. Just google it.

It would be nice if such a forum were here.

Don
Old 01-18-2013, 09:54 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post
We create new forums when we see sufficient posts to sustain a new forum.

Unfortunately, there have not been enough posts on this topic to warrant a new forum at this time.
Perhaps this is a case of, "If you build it, they will come?"

Sometimes you just have to try something in the hope that it will work. I think a well crafted forum title might broaden the topic from "Handicap" to something wider in scope. Maybe a forum of "Physical Challenged RVers" might make a more inviting place. That avoids quantifying what "handicap" might means and allows for more folks to participate.

Keep in mind that the term "handicap" has different meanings to different people. Many of us know folks that have had amputations or other "obvious" features that refuse to consider themselves handicapped. Yet, they would admit they are subjected to more impediments to mobility.

Just think about it like that. I think you might find it a topic with a broader spectrum of folks that might benefit from a place to exchange ideas about gaining the most out of the RV life they can.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:28 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
Perhaps this is a case of, "If you build it, they will come?"

Sometimes you just have to try something in the hope that it will work. I think a well crafted forum title might broaden the topic from "Handicap" to something wider in scope. Maybe a forum of "Physical Challenged RVers" might make a more inviting place. That avoids quantifying what "handicap" might means and allows for more folks to participate.

Keep in mind that the term "handicap" has different meanings to different people. Many of us know folks that have had amputations or other "obvious" features that refuse to consider themselves handicapped. Yet, they would admit they are subjected to more impediments to mobility.

Just think about it like that. I think you might find it a topic with a broader spectrum of folks that might benefit from a place to exchange ideas about gaining the most out of the RV life they can.
I agree about the title issue. Some title encorporating the words accessible, physically challenged, or how about "The Accessible RV Life".

Something that, when googled, would lead them to IRV2.

Don
Old 01-19-2013, 04:32 AM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Has anyone seen this site?

http://www.handicappedtravelclub.com/

This would be a good referral when someone does a search.

I googled handicapped RV.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:02 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1 View Post
Has anyone seen this site?

http://www.handicappedtravelclub.com/

This would be a good referral when someone does a search.

I googled handicapped RV.
Wow some cool rigs on that site. Have put it in favorites, one never knows when it will be needed. Right now my DW has some serious issues wherein we may need to look at the travel vehicles shown there.

Thanls
Old 01-19-2013, 07:36 PM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The thread of the day is - "More Forums" and all the reasons not to do it. 10 posts there and what 27 or so here. Apparently whether something is deserving of a forum has to do with interest level and number of posts. Those interested in an accessibility forum need to post up or the next forum added may well be devoted to why we don't need new forums.

Tags
disabled, disabled rvers, handicap, handicapped