Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2013, 01:05 AM   #43
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I would also like to see a forum for people with disabilities and those who care for them who travel by RV. We have issues that are unique and often difficult to deal with when we are far from our usual doctors and pharmacies.

I am currently dealing trying to get my Fentanyl patch RX filled in Florida. My Dr is in Oklahoma. Many states don't accept Rx written by out of state doctors. I need the Mylan brand due to an allergy to the adhesive on other generic patches. Walgreens charges about $32 per patch, Sam's charges me $8.75 for the EXACT SAME product. But Sam's can't always get the Mylan brand.

I also deal with how to carry a power wheelchair on a small RV and not have it ruined by weather.

okmunky is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2013, 07:41 AM   #44

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
I would also like to see a forum for people with disabilities and those who care for them who travel by RV. We have issues that are unique and often difficult to deal with when we are far from our usual doctors and pharmacies.

I am currently dealing trying to get my Fentanyl patch RX filled in Florida. My Dr is in Oklahoma. Many states don't accept Rx written by out of state doctors. I need the Mylan brand due to an allergy to the adhesive on other generic patches. Walgreens charges about $32 per patch, Sam's charges me $8.75 for the EXACT SAME product. But Sam's can't always get the Mylan brand.

I also deal with how to carry a power wheelchair on a small RV and not have it ruined by weather.
We use this ramp Folding Power Wheelchair & Scooter Carrier with the Aerfoil cover in addition to a chair cover behind our van. It does a good job.

Old 01-21-2013, 08:39 AM   #45

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipshot View Post
I think we have more members with handicaps/disabilities than we know. Most people I know with handicaps/disabilities do not advertise thier problems or seek special consideration. I think we need a handicap/disabled forum. ALL THOSE IN FAVOR PLEASE POST. The administration says there is not enough interset, LETS SHOW SOME INTEREST.
HERE, HERE.............
[ moderator edit ]
A couple customers of mine actually have wheelchair lifts in pull type trailers to get out like everyone else. They drive their own vans with hand controls. Totally independant...................You should see the glow on their faces when you talk to them about it.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:36 AM   #46

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We have threads here that run for 1,000's of posts - Walmart - Thread Killer - and some others. They basically are diversions - good - clean fun but serve no real purpose other than "conversation". Nothing wrong with that - but I doubt anyone would say - look how much interest there is. Let's make them forums. And yet they take up memory. Sure - not a lot of memory and not being an expert in such things I can't compare that space with the space it takes to setup a forum.

I find it interesting that a request to allocate a little space for a forum for RV enthusiasts with or caring for people with disabilities is even questioned in 2013. If nothing were ever posted there - it would stand as proof that the RV community here welcomes and supports all - encourages people to stretch their minds their abilities - and consider RVing as a form of mental and physical therapy. After all isn't the therapy aspect of it a big part of why we all love it.
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-301271341.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	182.1 KB
ID:	32324
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:21 PM   #47

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by akadeadeye View Post
It is difficult but there are many websites where you can get some limited information on campsites that are accessible and those that are not. Also, these websites offer some insight on disability access issues and living the disabled life in an RV. Just google it.

It would be nice if such a forum were here.

Don
Just planning a car trip with my mom in a W/c from Kansas City to Newton was a lot of research. Handicap accessable is a variable term... looking at , what sort of bathroom, most all will give you grab bars, but you must specify if you need a roll in shower, etc. Bathroom accessability varies by location also... never mind how high is the toilet, how about how big is the threshold to try and get over to get into a restranunt or gas station, is there enough room to turn a W/C around in the room, and is the sink so they can weash their hands afterward, .... you literally have to take a checklist with you and do a dry run anywhere you plan to go and check every service you might need to use on your route. With a motor home, this changes somewhat, but restaurants are something you still might want to check out as well as laundry facilities unless you have washer/dryer in your rig. so... the other concern I think of immediately is how far away do you have to park at attractions you are going to go see since many won't use public facilities...and, can you make it back out to your rig in time if you must park out in the boonies in a motor home?

Just a whole lot to consider before packing up and taking off after you finally get your handicap rig!
MartySQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:58 PM   #48

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
MartySQ - I think you just listed a parcel of reasons why a dedicated forum would be really useful. I have read tons of CG reviews - both official site - here and elsewhere and rarely if ever is any useful accessibility information provided. Just not a mainstream consciousness. Doesn't mean it shouldn't be or isn't out there but wouldn't it be nice if it were here.

Some have posted about age bringing with it its own limitations. I've hopefully got many miles to go in class A but have given thought to downsizing maybe back to a B before letting age take me off the road. Tips and tricks for getting out there or staying out there longer are another area that I think fit the bill and can help in planning.

If a forum can't be achieved maybe we can at least keep this going enough to make it one long and somewhat useful thread. Although a forum would be more efficient. I can't imagine looking through 5,000 posts to find your list of things to consider or suggest others to consider somewhere down the line.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:04 PM   #49

I saw this handicapped equipped travel trailer at the RV show last year. Even though I'm not that handicapped, I liked the way it was made and the floor layout. I like the bigger doors and aisles. It looked much more comfortable than a standard TT.

Old 01-21-2013, 06:16 PM   #50

Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyMPFromMO View Post
We use this ramp Folding Power Wheelchair & Scooter Carrier with the Aerfoil cover in addition to a chair cover behind our van. It does a good job.
We have used this ramp with our prior MH a class C, and traveled on one trip of over 4000 miles without problems. Checked the straps each evening. DH's four wheel scooter made the trip with no problems. We put those foam shop innerlocking pads under the scooter to protect the scooter from small rocks that might find their way through the grate and any road splash up from rain. Ali went well.
Home base Phoenix Az
judy3972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:29 PM   #51

iRV2 No Limits Club
Interesting timing.

We made one nice trip to visit out of state family and the wife went to her cardiologist when we returned. He said it was heart valve replacement time.
So that was done the start of December. She came home in time for Christmas.
We hope that her disability is temporary as recovery is moving at what feels to her as a slow pace. We hope that we can get going by the late summer or early fall.

On the bright side she wants to get going as soon as she can manage the steps.
Hopefully other issues will not be in the way.

Even with this being a hopefully temporary thing, as the a 65 year old only caregiver, I really feel for anyone who faces this daily for years. Some people are bore caregiver others are not. I never felt I was a good one.
What little time I have out of the house I am using to upgrade the interior.
This helps me to stay sane.

I really believe the old song that says: "What a long strange trip it's been".
Old 01-21-2013, 09:19 PM   #52

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I am on oxygen full time. I belong to a support group for people with a hereditary form of Emphysema. So many people have questions, but don't want to ask professionals. They want to find out from people who live it, deal with it, and figure out how to do the little things to get by.

I am going to full time next year. I hope to boon dock or dry camp a lot. I will be more than glad to help, or make suggestions or give advice in the area of oxygen. I have no qualms about how I am going to survive out in the boonies.

Count me in as the resident oxygen expert. Maybe I will change my avatar!
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:28 PM   #53

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1
Count me in as the resident oxygen expert. Maybe I will change my avatar!
Hmmm. The eyes of Texas are upon you. Lol. Mr. Oxygen

Name:   image-3693868148.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  42.8 KB
Old 01-21-2013, 09:31 PM   #54

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
That looks like a character on spongebob squarepants! LMAO!
Old 01-21-2013, 09:36 PM   #55

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1
That looks like a character on spongebob squarepants! LMAO!
October is just around the corner - assume you're still on track for full time then. My Jan 1 '14 date may be slipping a bit - Maybe March or there abouts. It's really a process to throw stuff overboard and I've slowed down since it got cold. Will definitely make time for you guys if you come through Texas!
Old 01-21-2013, 09:42 PM   #56

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
That will be on our way our west. First we head south to FL, then out west via 10. Even if our house doesn't sell. I will sue look you up and let you know when we are on the way Flaggship!

Tags
disabled, disabled rvers, handicap, handicapped