Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2013, 08:42 PM   #57
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Administrators, what say you?

Move this thread and make it the first one in the new forum, please.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2013, 10:19 PM   #58

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Administrators, what say you?

Move this thread and make it the first one in the new forum, please.
Yes ......................That's a "No Brainer" Senior Member. Should have been done a long time ago.
TRAILERKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:20 AM   #59

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thank you for all the input concerning a handicap type forum, seem's this is running about a page a day so far, since my inquirey if somthing like this could be needed. Most replys are just in support of gathering information of how to get more mobil with a better more enjoyable quality of life...Hmmm isnt that what this forum is all about, please dont take that the wrong way Mr Moderator, I absolutly love this forum, ton's of fantastic information and people who love to share.

Running any forum I imagine is very expensive as I know very little about those things, perhaps a new venue of revenue could help by a hanicapped type MFGs and I dont even know if this idea is a valid or fruitfull one ???

I can also see various topics relating to this type of forum, accessability, back up battery system for lifts, lift maint, saftey, oxygyn and its saftey, and how to get a RV bathroom accessable, so to be able to help the person without breaking your back an account of incontenence.
One topic should be for the caregiver's themselves as anyone (either me or you reading this) can become one, as quick as a lighting strike in time. These are the people who take the burden on and try as hard with love and devotion as they can, to not just give up and instutionalize the person, this can be extreamly stressfull as they need as much information as possable not only about the disability (from other med type forums) but how a RV is the anser to mobility, what they need in equipment, accessorys, and other special needs from vans to 5'ers to MH's

I can also see in the above posts a wealth of knowledge in various topics concerning more information. Also I believe other members will add to it by noticing a new device or effective modification they see in there travels and share it here giveing someone new idea of mobility or accessability type equipment. If you have ever pushed a wheel chair through gravel or sand, you know what Im refering too.
Have a great day... John
Jwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:18 AM   #60

iRV2 No Limits Club
Add me to the list of people who would love to see a handicapped forum.
LadyFitz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:17 AM   #61

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by judy3972 View Post
We have used this ramp with our prior MH a class C, and traveled on one trip of over 4000 miles without problems. Checked the straps each evening. DH's four wheel scooter made the trip with no problems. We put those foam shop innerlocking pads under the scooter to protect the scooter from small rocks that might find their way through the grate and any road splash up from rain. Ali went well.
I have only been in my chair since October, that is a great idea about the foam pads. I have been trying to think of a lightweight strong material for the floor of the ramp. Thanks for the idea!
Old 01-22-2013, 06:26 AM   #62

Damon Owners Club
A new area would be helpful. I ran into only one park during my travels last year that could be considered not handicap friendly (lack of wheel chair access, few paved areas, ect), but it would have been nice to have shared that data (or found it) somewhere first.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:44 AM   #63

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Jwar - I'm obviously a supporter of your idea and appreciate the thoughtfulness of your inquiry. I believe folks are voicing support over entering "information" as they are holding back to see what happens.

Like you, I don't know much about the workings of an enterprise such as this either but suspect there's a lot of thought that goes into it.

I don't know how deep we need to go with "sub" categories and I'd be happy with a single forum in the RV Lifestyle Forums area. Currently only Hobbies and Clubs have sub-forums. The Solos, Military and others seem to do ok with that. With time we could see how threads emerge but at least we would have a searchable forum and central location to share experiences in.

Hopefully folks will continue to add their support for the idea in numbers big enough to warrant the forum. I would like to see this happen quickly and not be tied to a vendor / sponsor coming on board. Early on Sky_Boss suggested the "if you build it they will come" notion and users are coming - once we prove we will come - vendors will surely follow. Still - excellent idea on your part.

I am glad to see that the naysayers have stayed away. Clearly there are those that believe adding a forum dilutes the usability of the site. I get that concept as it relates to many RV topics. I just don't believe this is one of those topics.

I would encourage users to post their knowledge related to this thread but more importantly - ANTE UP everyone. It's apparently our numbers that drive the decision.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:03 PM   #64

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I will add, that I am a member of the Alpha-one Antitrypsin deficiency support group. There are chapters all over the united states. If anyone wants info on this, please feel free to contact me.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:37 PM   #65

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1
I will add, that I am a member of the Alpha-one Antitrypsin deficiency support group. There are chapters all over the united states. If anyone wants info on this, please feel free to contact me.
Sent me running to Google. Learned something new today. For a minute I thought - isn't that where spongebob square pants lives? Ya taught me something Davedeb1.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:56 PM   #66

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
I am currently dealing trying to get my Fentanyl patch RX filled in Florida. My Dr is in Oklahoma. Many states don't accept Rx written by out of state doctors. I need the Mylan brand due to an allergy to the adhesive on other generic patches. Walgreens charges about $32 per patch, Sam's charges me $8.75 for the EXACT SAME product. But Sam's can't always get the Mylan brand.

I also deal with how to carry a power wheelchair on a small RV and not have it ruined by weather.
I had these same two issues when I started traveling and let me share my solutions. Perhaps one of them will help. For a wheelchair cover, depending of course on type and size, you can usually find a BBQ cover (the type for your patio for example), that come in various thickness (thicker the better for wind resistance) and sizes that you can alter with tie downs to meet the contours of your lift and chair. It's working for mine over 12k miles and it was a cheaper solution than ordering "special" covers from the chair dealers.

For medications, those not from the VA for example, things get a little more difficult. Usually if I travel for 120-150 days, I will request my doctor write a 90 day Rx with multiple refills, just prior to departure at my local CVS or Walgreens. Both of those stores have "transfer" policies that would allow refills in another state on a one-time basis, repeat one time basis, during your travels.

(*) Now, before someone points out the accurate fact that this doesn't apply to "controlled" medications - i.e. pain or sleep meds - you're correct. Those are typically for 30-45 days, and if transferred (the one time refill) while traveling, you must go back to the originator to obtain a refill

One solution to this - again asking for your Doc's assistance - is to start several months before traveling asking for 45 day instead of 30 day fills on those meds. Most Rx's will fill that maximum amount. Further, refills may be done within 7 days (some states 5) of the actual refill date due (in other words, 5-7 days early).

I take those 5-7 day double doses, adding them away for travel over a few refill cycles, and in addition to refill prior to travel, and one refill on the road, usually have an adequate amount to get me home again.

It works for me....so thought I'd share. Good luck.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:44 AM   #67
Moderator Emeritus

I'm happy to see so many people responding to this thread, but I perceive some misconceptions about what we (the staff) considers "interest" in a topic. There was never any doubt that we have members with disabilities or that there are related problems to be solved when traveling by RV. The issue is not so much whether there are people interested in these subjects, but whether we need to have a dedicated place to group those discussions. Currently the General Discussion forum would be the appropriate place to post such threads.

A better measure of "interest" is how many and how often messages and threads routinely appear in the forums on a topic. If those of you who professed interest were regularly starting threads to discuss your questions or participating in threads begun by others, the case for a dedicated handicapped RVing forum would be much more convincing.

I would also like to offer a somewhat broader perspective. Many RVers have what I will loosely call special health care needs but are not "handicapped" in the sense of the ADA. Obtaining specialized prescriptions drugs while traveling, for example, is hardly unique to the handicapped. Finding qualified medical professionals - and ones that participate in a given insurance plan - is another common problem shared by many RVers. Use of oxygen, CPAP machines, etc. is yet another common thing among RVers. Perhaps any new forum we consider ought to have a broader scope than just handicapped RVing?

Please don't take this as a rebuttal or refusal - that is not my intent. Nor is this the official position of the IRV2 Staff.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:54 AM   #68

iRV2 No Limits Club
There are many types of disabilities, not handicaps, covered by ADA. Breathing, walking, mental impairments, etc.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:58 AM   #69

iRV2 No Limits Club
I posted my first topic in General if that's what we have to do then.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:59 AM   #70

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Gary,

Thanks for your thoughts. I certainly understand the desire to make sure forums don't get too watered down or so specific that they don't get used correctly.

Perhaps the answer is a sub forum under RV LIFESTYLES. Within that sub there could be further subs relating to medical, ADA, RV modifications and such that could be an effective way to draw upon the experiences and questions of these subjects.

Certainly living the RV life style with medical and mobility issues is a lifestyle subset on par with pets, solo RVers and such?
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
disabled, disabled rvers, handicap, handicapped