Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-23-2013, 09:06 AM   #71

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyMPFromMO View Post
There are many types of disabilities, not handicaps, covered by ADA. Breathing, walking, mental impairments, etc.
Not to mention color blindness.
LadyFitz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2013, 09:15 AM   #72

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFitz... View Post

Not to mention color blindness.
I wasn't trying to exclude anyone. Sorry about that.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:57 PM   #73

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Gary you indicate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer
A better measure of "interest" is how many and how often messages and threads routinely appear in the forums on a topic. If those of you who professed interest were regularly starting threads to discuss your questions or participating in threads begun by others, the case for a dedicated handicapped RVing forum would be much more convincing.

I would also like to offer a somewhat broader perspective. Many RVers have what I will loosely call special health care needs but are not "handicapped" in the sense of the ADA. Obtaining specialized prescriptions drugs while traveling, for example, is hardly unique to the handicapped. Finding qualified medical professionals - and ones that participate in a given insurance plan - is another common problem shared by many RVers. Use of oxygen, CPAP machines, etc. is yet another common thing among RVers. Perhaps any new forum we consider ought to have a broader scope than just handicapped RVing?
Gary,
Can you tell us now how many threads have been started or posts related to any of the topics you mention above so when can know how many isn't enough? Or provide an idea as to how many will be enough? Or perhaps suggest a 2 or 3 letter abbreviation or code we can use at the start of a thread to tag it as disabilities related to make counting, professing interest and searching easier?

As for the many types of things people deal with one is trying to fit in while being different. The other is standing up for being different without being needy or demanding. And then there is privacy. Many people do not want to lay there personal circumstances out for all to see / read. I have read time and again that people often never look at forums they aren't interested in. So telling this group - put your posts in a very open forum - one I believe many if not most read may not be as inviting as a dedicated forum.

I do not belong to RVnet but they have several forums for disabilities. I chose here but this thread made me look again. I have no interest in going there. I like it here but choosing this ground to make a stand seems outdated and misguided. I have no more to add to this thread. I have stated my personal position and you yours. I do not pretend to speak for anyone but me. I do have 38 years personal experience in the subject and have learned to deal. I can certainly deal with no special consideration for a forum.

In closing I want to thank and encourage all that posted support for OPs idea to keep posting, exploring ideas and stretching yourselves in pursuit of and in living the RV lifestyle. Each and everyone of you are an inspiration to me and to others - unique and the same.
Steve
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:43 PM   #74

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Hi Gary

I fully agree with you and I was only trying to see if there was a general consenses where one with any type of medical problem relating to RVing, could in one place find a solution for any kind of "medical mobility" related problems.

Please dont get me wrong here, I am not trying to hi-jack the forum LOL,.. hope I did not open a can of worms as it was no my intention to do so.

Have allways believed in the K.I.S.S. methods, and hope there is a simple solution, if the powers to be feel there is a need and that it will benifit the members of this excellent RV site.

Have a great and God Bless.

John Warren
Jwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:43 PM   #75
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
When we consider a new forum, we look at many things, including the number of threads on the given topic, the number of posts in those threads, what forum are those threads started in, are those posts on topic, how frequently are new threads started, how often members post to those threads, are the threads and posts providing any value to our members and more.

There is no set number of threads and/or posts, it's an evaluation of the items in the previous paragraph and our staff's evaluation of the value of a new forum as to it's projected use.

We have many under utilized specialty forums now (engine, chassis, RVsystems, fulltimers and pets for example) as many members prefer to post only in their own manufacturer's forums because they only want to hear from their fellow owners even if a post in a specialty forum or General Discussion would generate many more responses.

In searching 2012, only 6 threads are found with "handicap" in the title.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:05 PM   #76
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Gary,
I think you came up with a name, unsuspectingly, called "Special Health Care Needs."

That should cover all types of disabilities, and ailments. Just don't call it Special Mental Needs, or we will all be members.

A Special Health Care Needs forum would cover everything. If warranted later, sub groups could be identified. Sounds good and fills the bill.

I am a disabled veteran although to look at me you would not necessarily know that. There are many types of disabilities, ailments, and Special Health Care Needs of many different varieties. Just the fact that this topic alone has generated 6 pages, and growing, seems to justify a Special Health Care Needs forum.

The only problem is that those that post in owner's forums would most likely continue to post in owner's forums, even though the thread would pertain to Special Health Care Needs. I would think that it would then be the moderator of the Owners forum to move it to Special Health Care Needs forum. Seems manageable.

You summed it up quite well in the different types of special needs.

Who knows, there are probably some RV enthusiasts out there searching right now for a forum to go to and they have those special needs.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:10 PM   #77

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I havent been a care giver for a few decades since my wife passed on.
Being we were dealing with MS and she could get 100% immobile due to heat, we found a Class C that was HC equiped. Had full HC driving controls, double electic swing out doors on the side, Electric WC lift, and a wide bathroom door for access.

Being we had an AC problem with our car in 105 heat, was actually returning from Redding Ca after looking at this RV, thinking it was to darn expensive. when the air conditioning quit she went limp with no muscle controll whatsoever, that was a bit stressing while we got the car fixed far away from home. The price of the RV became a no brainer and decided this RV had to be a better solution due to the MS. If the main engine AC failed the roof AC was a backup along with ice in the fridge and mister spray type bottle. It was the perfect solution for our needs.

We dry camped a bit and one problem was the Lift was on the house batterys, I drew the batterys down (learning lession One LOL) and fortunitly I had a onan gen for its operation

I then set up a WC lift only battery that was charged and floated off from the house batts, but could not drain back into the house batts. Also a volt meter so I could glance at, as I operated the lift controls, never had another issue with a low batt. Also felt in case of an emergeny, fire, collision, with this isolated battery I could get her out of the vechicle. Also a bit of overkill with three 10 bc fire extinguisers, but seen a rv on fire, that got very ugly... very quick.

We used an Amego Brand wheel chair, low/hi lift seat that could also spin around and she could sit in it with her feet over the rear wheels, fantastic for dinning out.
could also be dissambled and placed in a car trunk, could spin around in its own wheel base and used gel cel batts. However it's downside was do to very small wheels and gravel was an issue and a regular foldable wheel chair resolved that.

The jackknife couch worked fantastic for WC to bed transfers, linen, blankets, and incontenent needs in the overhead cabinets.

We used this rig for several years and was a Godsend for us. Used it like a station wagon as we went to the store, shopping, visiting or camping. From the house we could be on the road in five or so minits.

The gentelman we bought it from was paralized from the waist down, ask why he was selling it. He was getting a 5er as he did not consider himself in any way of being handicaped, His mindset really impressed me and trying to keep that outlook on life, is extreamy importent.

BTW, after my DW ran over the cats tail, I found a sticky sign and placed it on the back of her Amigos seat "Caution...Driver applying makeup"

John
Jwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:38 PM   #78
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thank you for sharing that John.

It has a lot of great ideas in the story that maybe someone can gain from.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:42 PM   #79

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwar View Post
I havent been a care giver for a few decades since my wife passed on.
Being we were dealing with MS and she could get 100% immobile due to heat, we found a Class C that was HC equiped. Had full HC driving controls, double electic swing out doors on the side, Electric WC lift, and a wide bathroom door for access.

Being we had an AC problem with our car in 105 heat, was actually returning from Redding Ca after looking at this RV, thinking it was to darn expensive. when the air conditioning quit she went limp with no muscle controll whatsoever, that was a bit stressing while we got the car fixed far away from home. The price of the RV became a no brainer and decided this RV had to be a better solution due to the MS. If the main engine AC failed the roof AC was a backup along with ice in the fridge and mister spray type bottle. It was the perfect solution for our needs.

We dry camped a bit and one problem was the Lift was on the house batterys, I drew the batterys down (learning lession One LOL) and fortunitly I had a onan gen for its operation

I then set up a WC lift only battery that was charged and floated off from the house batts, but could not drain back into the house batts. Also a volt meter so I could glance at, as I operated the lift controls, never had another issue with a low batt. Also felt in case of an emergeny, fire, collision, with this isolated battery I could get her out of the vechicle. Also a bit of overkill with three 10 bc fire extinguisers, but seen a rv on fire, that got very ugly... very quick.

We used an Amego Brand wheel chair, low/hi lift seat that could also spin around and she could sit in it with her feet over the rear wheels, fantastic for dinning out.
could also be dissambled and placed in a car trunk, could spin around in its own wheel base and used gel cel batts. However it's downside was do to very small wheels and gravel was an issue and a regular foldable wheel chair resolved that.

The jackknife couch worked fantastic for WC to bed transfers, linen, blankets, and incontenent needs in the overhead cabinets.

We used this rig for several years and was a Godsend for us. Used it like a station wagon as we went to the store, shopping, visiting or camping. From the house we could be on the road in five or so minits.

The gentelman we bought it from was paralized from the waist down, ask why he was selling it. He was getting a 5er as he did not consider himself in any way of being handicaped, His mindset really impressed me and trying to keep that outlook on life, is extreamy importent.

BTW, after my DW ran over the cats tail, I found a sticky sign and placed it on the back of her Amigos seat "Caution...Driver applying makeup"

John
Great info. Thanks for sharing. You got my mind working.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:03 PM   #80

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyMPFromMO View Post
I wasn't trying to exclude anyone. Sorry about that.
No offense taken. I just wanted to point out the largest handicap not covered by the ADA.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:21 PM   #81

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post
... many more responses.

In searching 2012, only 6 threads are found with "handicap" in the title.
Limiting your search to one word means you will miss a lot of posts. Example: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f84/walk-in-bath-149188.html.

Mayhap if everyone would post a link here every time they come across a post that would be appropriate for a handicap forum, the need for such a forum would become more apparent. Even something as simple as replacing three step entry steps with four step entry steps would qualify.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:34 PM   #82

Vintage RV Owners Club
Before this turns into a "We're being neglected" issue- if it hasn't already:

I think most of y'all missed an early post in this thread mentioning the RVing with Disabilities and General Health Issues sub-forum over at RV.net.

RV.net is one of the busiest RVing sites on the internet, with a large, diverse, and active membership. In spite of that broad pool of members, there's very little activity in the "Disabilities" forum, perhaps because most RVing "issues" are common to all RVers.

Certainly, if that site attracts so few posts in such a specialty forum while at the same time drawing from a much more diverse group of people, it seems unlikely to me that this site would do much better!
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:20 PM   #83

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:

Limiting your search to one word means you will miss a lot of posts. Example: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f84/walk-in-bath-149188.html.

Mayhap if everyone would post a link here every time they come across a post that would be appropriate for a handicap forum, the need for such a forum would become more apparent. Even something as simple as replacing three step entry steps with four step entry steps would qualify.
You mean you couldn't tell my post was related to my disability? But it was posted in General Information like we were told to.

Strange...
Old 01-24-2013, 06:56 PM   #84

Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:

Don't post a link here, instead start a thread.!
Home base Phoenix Az
judy3972 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
disabled, disabled rvers, handicap, handicapped