Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2013, 12:00 PM   #99
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Why do words have to be questioned?

spe·cious

/ˈspēSHəs/
Adjective
  • Superficially plausible, but actually wrong: "a specious argument".
  • Misleading in appearance, esp. misleadingly attractive: "a specious appearance of novelty".
Maybe it is what was meant.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2013, 12:04 PM   #100

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca
"Specious"???

I'd think that a logistical question like the one linked to is best served by posting in the broadest possible setting, that's all...

I'm also a bit squeamish about exclusivity in general...who if anyone would be the "judge" of who/what is "permitted" in such a sub-forum????
Why you would be in charge of that of course my dear Francesca. Just as you are now. Lol.

I think Sky_Boss posed some great questions and I don't think you have those answers - just the counter argument that apparently doesn't really need any support. Of course you are free to share the counter argument here as well as on the other threads as you so often do. Keeps things interesting and as we shared in PMs - I enjoy your spunk.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:13 PM   #101

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Sky_Boss - Thanks Don.

As for the money - I will donate $150 through the same account I used to become a supporter to cover a couple hours of programer time if that's the issue. Sometimes putting money where your mouth is helps. Francesca - you up for paying $200 to keep it from happening? We can play "storage wars" and bid it up - highest bidder wins.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:36 PM   #102

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post
"Specious"???

I'd think that a logistical question like the one linked to is best served by posting in the broadest possible setting, that's all...

I'm also a bit squeamish about exclusivity in general...who if anyone would be the "judge" of who/what is "permitted" in such a sub-forum????
Who said anything about "exclusivity"? There are no exclusive forums here. People participate or don't. I use forums to filter both items of high interest and no interest. I don't want everything dumped into the same thread forcing me to pick and sort. The problem with posting to the broadest spectrum of users is that it can get lost in all the traffic. I know that I see more threads of interest to me and my "expertise" (Yes...I am putting that in quotes for a reason.) I might find something more inline with my interests and be able to help another when the topic is something I think I have direct knowledge/experience about.

I don't solo RV, Don't own a Vintage RV, Don't own a 5ver/B/C RV, Don't own a truck conversion or toy hauler. I am not offended by these and other groups "exclusivity" by having their own forums. Now, since I ignore those topics due to lack of interest, I can't swear to it but I wonder if they generate as much traffic as this thread has.

Trying to justify my point buy questioning the amount of traffic these other forums generate may appear to be specious but I think not. Why? It goes to the point of network resources and to user requests. If there is no room in the inn for a special needs forum then resources must be limited. If that is the case, then perhaps other forums need to be culled. This could a good move if it is due to lack of interest or even if only for the sake of administering this board in an equitable manner. There is certainly a reasonable need to allocate resources to meet a good business model which would be served buy meeting users needs/wants while maintaining a manageable, navigable structure.

As to what is permitted to be posted in forums/sub-forums, I think the moderators have done a VERY good job house cleaning when needed. I think most users (especially after they get the hang of the board structure) do a darn good job not making moderators do it for them.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:51 PM   #103

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Final Thoughts

In an effort to not

I have contributed as much to this topic as anyone might want to hear. I'm not going away mad I'm just saying that in the end it is the board management that has final say. Personally, I wouldn't have spent as much time and energy on this subject if I thought IRV2 was a hack job not capable of being challenged to think outside of the box.

While I will be disappointed if some kind of forum were not established, I can't control the actions of IRV2 other than to provide a sincere argument supporting what I think is a good thing for the IRV2 business model and user participation.

I understand the world, let alone IRV2, doesn't revolve around my opinion. The best I can do is offer it with a sincere heart and the hope it is taken in that same manner.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:04 PM   #104

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Why do words have to be questioned?

spe·cious

/ˈspēSHəs/
Adjective
  • Superficially plausible, but actually wrong: "a specious argument".
  • Misleading in appearance, esp. misleadingly attractive: "a specious appearance of novelty".
That post is really a better example of "irrelevance", Wayne...though it does point up the inapplicability of the word to my simple- and as yet unanswered- question!

But never mind....I perceive that my particular handicapped self is not On The Right Side here, so I'll just bow out of the conversation.
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:23 PM   #105
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Don,

Well said, thank you.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:43 PM   #106

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post
My question would be:

In what way would the responses to that question have been more satisfactory had it been posted in a "Handicapped RVer-specific" forum???
Satisfaction has nothing to do with it. Without a dedicated handicap forum, one wanting to find threads addressing solutions to problems caused by handicaps would have a very tedious search since they are scattered all over the multitude of forums here. As I already mentioned, no one search word will find them all; even a half dozen searh words would tend to miss a lot. The same would apply to someone asking about a solution for a problem caused by a handicap. Without a dedicated forum, where does one put a query without severely limiting the number of people who will see it, especially since cross posting is not allowed (I'm not knocking the cross post ban, btw)?
LadyFitz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:45 PM   #107
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Folks - I understand the desire for a new forum dedicated to this topic... we have given it a lot of thought and the site team has explored the possibility in depth.

The main reason for not setting this up is that we have found that discussions about this topic end up in many sections of the forum. Those who have questions about modifying a specific rig, post in the owners forums, those who have questions about camping specifics post in those topic areas, etc - these posts end up all over the forum.

If we set up a forum for this topic and insist on all threads being in that area, then many folks would miss the opportunity to get their questions answered because those without these challenges would probably never read that forum. Anyone with a good technical knowledge of a specific model might be able to help with a modification, but they have to see the discussion first....

I do have some suggestions however. We have used thread tagging in some instances to round up topics into one place. We could set up a Disabled Owners group as one of our irv2 owners groups and then tie all threads that are tagged with disabled or handicap to that group. Clicking on the iRV2 Group would sort all those threads into one long (forum like) list.

Take a look here to see how it might work. This is the Holiday Ramblers Group: iRV2 Forums - Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Notice how threads about these rigs are in many forum areas - some for tech issues, others for camping experiences. Scroll down a bit to see the list...

You can see a list of our current Clubs and Groups here: iRV2 Forums - iRV2 Groups

iRV2 Custom Search Tool
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:59 PM   #108

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Janet,

Without trying to sound like I am resurrecting myself into this conversation...But it appears I am...very carefully.

You have provided a valuable response to this topic! Well thought out and it provides what I believe is a very good "compromise" or even a full blown solution.

Could you explain in a bit more detail on the thread tagging and how that would be set up? Would that be based on key words or moderator observations/actions or a little of both?

You point about engaging others who might not normally participate in a disability oriented forum is well taken. I think, though, the threading method could work well. Certainly it would be a great starting point.

Thanks for your considerations!
Old 01-25-2013, 02:16 PM   #109
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
As so often is the case topics seem to stray off topic and the suggestion that money is the driving point is uncalled for even if from uniformed sources.

Some also need to take into account the tone of their posts this thread will not deteriorate any further than it has, so please keep it on topic and quit with the personal jabs.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:21 PM   #110
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post

Could you explain in a bit more detail on the thread tagging and how that would be set up? Would that be based on key words or moderator observations/actions or a little of both?
we can set this up several ways....

Currently when a new thread is started it can be tagged. Moderators can tag threads at anytime and you can currently use the tag search function (search drop down) to explore threads that are already tagged.
We could also set up autotagging based on key words.

Setting up the irv2 group is fairly straightforward and if this is a workable solution I can get started on it in the next day or so. The Group has the further appeal of being able to easily ID other members who may have a shared common interest. It's a good way to connect with folks who have similar experiences.

iRV2 Custom Search Tool
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:17 PM   #111

Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
we can set this up several ways....

Currently when a new thread is started it can be tagged. Moderators can tag threads at anytime and you can currently use the tag search function (search drop down) to explore threads that are already tagged.
We could also set up autotagging based on key words.

Setting up the irv2 group is fairly straightforward and if this is a workable solution I can get started on it in the next day or so. The Group has the further appeal of being able to easily ID other members who may have a shared common interest. It's a good way to connect with folks who have similar experiences.
Great!
Will you post here do we can join the group?
Home base Phoenix Az
judy3972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:21 PM   #112

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thank You so much Janet H.
I had no idea that the groups section was available. I still can't find the page from the drop downs buy I did bookmark from your Link.
We have a 30 year old son that is completely disabled both mentally and physically. We travel with 2 wheel chairs,seizure meds,special food, and all his "toys". We will be looking forward to any help we can give or receive.

I really appreciate your taking time to look into a solution it shows to me that you are a Great Moderator and do listen to what people are saying. I am sure at times,probably most of the time, it is a thankless job with many hours and headaches
I now belong to the HR group and look forward the the "Disabled" group.

Kind Regards
Stephen S.
1996 HR Navigator

Tags
disabled, disabled rvers, handicap, handicapped