Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2013, 04:53 PM   #113
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
So - I need to ask a somewhat indelicate question... what would be a good name for such a group? It will be displayed in various places..

Disabled RV'ers
Handicapped RVing
No Barriers Group

???

???

iRV2 Custom Search Tool
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2013, 05:31 PM   #114

Tough question for today's reality.

Almost anything will upset someone, but as long as everyone understands the intent it should be fine, as they are posted the comments will guide the discussion.
"Next Stage Operators"
"Careing RV Members "

This is going to be harder than you think!
Old 01-25-2013, 05:43 PM   #115

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
So - I need to ask a somewhat indelicate question... what would be a good name for such a group? It will be displayed in various places..
???
Special Needs is an evolving term and may be applicable. Wikipedia's first definition is as follows:

In the United States, special needs is a term used in clinical diagnostic and functional development to describe individuals who require assistance for disabilities that may be medical, mental, or psychological.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:53 PM   #116

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Sjbmsu posted this early on

"I am a retired ADA Compliance Officer and would love to be a part of any such forum."

I have PMd - maybe they can help out with this.
And I'm glad to see this moving forward in any way possible.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:00 PM   #117

iRV2 No Limits Club
I think this is a great idea. Can't wait to see what I can learn and apply to making my apprehensions subside.
Old 01-25-2013, 06:28 PM   #118

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Some suggestions...A few are clearly tongue in cheek but could be sub-titles/mottos

RVing Without Limits
RVing Without Limitations
Limitation Busters
I Ain't Got No Stinkin' Limitations
Special Needs RVing Life Style
Limitless RVing
RVing With Special Needs
No RVers Left Out
Solving the Issues of Special Needs RVers
No Limits RVers
RVers Overcoming Limits/Limitations
RVing is For Everyone
Special Needs Support
Special Needs Road Warriors
Special Needs RVing/RVers
Mobility Masters - Special Needs Support

OK...just tossing out ideas to get others thinking too.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:45 PM   #119

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Sky Boss,
nice!!! Thank You!!
Old 01-25-2013, 08:05 PM   #120

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I propose the name "Breaking down barriers"

Thanks Mods!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:11 PM   #121

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Handicapped RVers. That should cover it. Yes there will be arguments about what constitutes a handicap, and the only way to keep it right is to Moderate. Any disability covered under the ADA should be welcomed. It will just have to be moderated for political and religious content like any Forum.

I think the Moderators may be reluctant to start another forum, especially one like this that could be ripe for whining government cutbacks and other political discussion.

I can see the "they cut my disability because the government said the plate in my head wasn't thick enough" thread where all of a sudden the Tricare issue will come up and other government disability cutbacks will be hotly contested.

I can see this as the biggest worry of the Moderators. I don't blame them either. This kind of forum has the biggest chance of constant rules abuse.

I would love to see this forum come about, and will be glad to contribute on a regular basis. This will require a lot of member vigilance and policing.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:42 PM   #122

Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The phase 'No child left behind" offers a title of "No RV'er left behind"
Home base Phoenix Az
judy3972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:53 PM   #123

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
A thought might be to have a section for the disability complaints. Please do not "think" a complaints section would be a bad thing. I am an ADVOCATE and have been for 30 plus years and continuing... I can assure you someone's complaint will get the attention of someone else who might have a solution for that person or have contact info that could help the person complaining.

There are many people who have a disability, a lot less who have answers for problems, so a forum would be an excellent place for people with disabilities, their caregivers and even for advocates to provide insights.

I can say this: not all states have the same services to people with disabilities. It's also very sad when a loved one needs a life saving surgery, however the best facility for your loved one to get the life saving surgery that garners the loved ones best chance of survival is 1000 miles and four boarders to cross away is very heartbreaking, it becomes devastating to learn your loved one's insurance will not cover the services if you choose to take that loved one to the best place. So, you find yourself accepting it because you are not aware there are OTHER WAYS if you have the WILL, the KNOWLEDGE and the ABILITY to accomplish and prevail.

Sharing knowledge if powerful. Maybe if all the RVer's who have disabilities of any kind had a place to share, complain, and rejoice it would not be the burden some think it might be. Controlling a disabled person is not a good thing to do, they already have controls placed on them... i.e. they might use a wheelchair, they might not have speech, they might not have hearing, eyesight, hand use, they might have to take medications that fog their thinking abilities, therefore they may not type what you might feel is okay. They are human beings, they have the right to TRY to be apart of society, and they have rights to be a part of social media. Please do not start a forum in which you are going to be a a parent, teacher, or police officer because then you are limiting the very people you set out to help.

If you have NEVER been a caregiver, an advocate or worked with people who have special needs, step aside... and watch. Our lives are not easy, we do what we do for the love of the person with the disability, regardless what the disability might be.

You don't know what it looks like to see a person make a mistake that causes your loved ones disability, you don't what it looks like to see that loved one try to get someone to understand they are upset because they are getting a cut in their disability check because some smart lawmaker creates a cool law that he/she thinks will help our Country, while he/she votes to send more of our funds to a Country that hates America.

We the people have to work together, stick together for the greater good of our Country and this includes accepting and helping people who have disabilities do what the non-disability people do... RVing.

Now I will go back to my Shell....

Oops.... how many know that "grants" can help with RV modifications???? How many realize education grants are not just for young people?????

I have a blog going up with a forum in April as I embarked on an RV trip through America to take my adult son through this Country of ours and show him and teach him about the history, its people, and I can do this because I advocated.
Old 01-26-2013, 02:24 AM   #124

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Colorado Kay,

Kay you hit it on the nailhead
Jwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:49 AM   #125

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thank you Janet for your expertiese
Jwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:29 AM   #126

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
"If you have NEVER been a caregiver, an advocate or worked with people who have special needs, step aside... and watch. Our lives are not easy, we do what we do for the love of the person with the disability, regardless what the disability might be."

I like the "no rver left behind" term. 13 years ago we put my father in law in a nursing home due to AZ and my mother in law moved in with us. We lost him after a year , he was 80 and we were limited to our travel with my mother in law. She passed away 3 years ago and prior to that she developed dementia 6 years ago. We were homebound for 10 years as were just couldn't leave her alone. Our outside activities were running errands and it go to the point both of us couldn't go out together. I bought a used Class C so we could travel together and visit family in other states. I built a home theatre so we could watch movies and eventually had to give that up as she couldn't seperate from reality. We didn't find out about the "respite" program until it was just too late. Unless we went in the Class C we never left the house together. In July of 2010 we finally had to place her in a nursing home and the next day my wife and I took our first "outing together" in years without paying for a sitter. We went to look at Moho's and stopped at a Pilot Oil/MacDonalds got a cheeseburger. No one but us could appreciate how special that moment was as it was our first dinner date in over 5 years. I would do it all over again for my in laws but until you've been a caregiver you have no idea how small your world becomes. Now when we camp I look those that do and the elderly .....no one can fully appreciate how much RV'ing gives them a lift. The recommendation of a forum or dicussion group is truly a blessing in diguise.

Tags
disabled, disabled rvers, handicap, handicapped