Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-30-2012, 01:42 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Carolina Campers
American Coach Owners Club
hanging items on the wall

My DW wants to hang a few items on our rv wall. I understand they must be light weight BUT, how to you get them to stay without large holes under the items IE: clock ,few pictures. At home most of our stuff is held with sewing needles NO large holes (they hold a lot of weight too.
Thanks, Bob

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2012, 01:51 PM   #2

I use a small screw at the top and two pads of velcro at the bottom corners. Keeps the item level and lossens when needed, but not when traveling.

Old 04-30-2012, 02:00 PM   #3

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Once you try these Amazon.com: Scotch(R) All-Weather Fasteners, 2 Sets of 1 Inch x 3 Inches, Strips, Clear (RFD7090): Office Products you won't ever want to use anything else. These are part of a 3M industrial product line called Dual Lock; I don't know why the retail packages are so hard to find in stores. They have incredible strength (like 2 pounds per square inch) and don't degrade with time like Velcro if they are attached and detached a lot. If you've ever had an EZPass this is the stuff they send with it to hold it to the windshield.

This particular link is for a version with weatherproof adhesive that works well even in areas baked by the sun. You can find others at Amazon with standard adhesive and also in long rolls.

We've also used industrial strength Velcro, but I think Dual Lock is better.
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 02:03 PM   #4
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Hi Bob,

3M makes Command Adhesive products in many strengths and connectors. They hold well, yet remove easily leaving no trace. Industrial strength Velco also works well.. I use it inside cabinets as I'm not sure it will come off clean like Command. Both can be found at hardware stores, Command also at Walmart.

I have also used UGlu, which is an adhesive like Command without the connectors. Orginally sold on TV, But I have found it at Walgreens.

If you need something to stay forever, pop rivets work better than screws on the thin walls.

Have fun!
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 02:06 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Papa - we've hung several picture frames and even a knife holder on the wall using the *V*elcro* hook-and-loop-fastener strips with tape on the back. We've learned to be generous with the tape - basically all four edges of whatever you're hanging. Holds things securely with no rattling or chance they'll come down.

We've even started doing that at home - we live in earthquake country and most damage comes from things falling off the walls in a quake.

If/when you want to take it down you might have some leftover sticky stuff, but that's easier to scrape off than dealing with broken glass or worse.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:22 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
i use the 3M Command product. if you decide to no longer hang that item there, or move it elsewhere, you just pull the loose end and it come right off.

2017 Solitude by Grand Design
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 03:00 PM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Star View Post
i use the 3M Command product. if you decide to no longer hang that item there, or move it elsewhere, you just pull the loose end and it come right off.
Same here! Have a few thing hung in the MH and they stay put going down the road. Never any problem.

62_inrightlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:29 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
That is hard to believe, will give a try. Always screwed things on.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:37 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have used the Command Strips and for me, they have worked like advertised. No holes in walls, no damage. Have some in current motorhome that have been in place over two years and still holding. These strips are used to hold pictures, wall art and other items.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:04 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by catonine
I have used the Command Strips and for me, they have worked like advertised. No holes in walls, no damage. Have some in current motorhome that have been in place over two years and still holding. These strips are used to hold pictures, wall art and other items.
This is what we use to
Camping4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:10 PM   #11
TAZ

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We use the 3m command too. Even for our welcome sign that we hang outside the hatch when we set up. Great product.

Improvise, adapt and overcome... "Semper Fi"
TAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:18 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62_inrightlane View Post
Same here! Have a few thing hung in the MH and they stay put going down the road. Never any problem.

We love these things! We buy the velcro version, you can also use these to keep table lamps under control!
Old 04-30-2012, 08:19 PM   #13

Shoe Goo--great adhesive, weather stripping also. WD40 works great for removing left-behind adhesive from velcro pads. If the adhesive fails due to heat put some Shoe Goo on the back, stick it on the wall, hold it in place with a piece of tape or a wedge for a couple hours and then remove tape/wedge. Let cure for 24 hours and you can hang (easily) 5# on the hook.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:31 PM   #14

Official iRV2 Sponsor

FWIW the 3M Command strips are a "dumbed down" retail version of the Dual Lock product line. They use the same concept but have far less hanging capability per square inch. Think about it, it is not in 3M's interest to sell a product which you don't need nearly as much of. They sell Dual Lock to industrial customers who want a quality product; they sell Command strips at WallyWorld and Home Depot so they can sell lots and lots of them because they don't hold all that much weight.

docj is offline   Reply With Quote