Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-25-2015, 10:46 AM   #1

Happy Anniversary !!!! No Brakes!!!!

So after starting my first RV adventure with my 32ft Coachmen Mirada 32 DS, we leave home to discover the dash AC not working... so we start the generator and coach AC.... after an hour the generator stops it get hot ...we have just over 1/4 tank so stop to fill up and restart the gen and coach AC.....
After an hour or so the gen stops again and we do the run for an hour stop and cool down the coach with the generator and roof AC.. repeat ...repeat... till we stop at our friends house in Kansas...
Our friends son has AC gauges so we do a quick charge and dash AC is working fine. After a wonderful visit we plan to leave this AM and as we are going down the short but steep driveway ... apply brakes and the pedal goes to the floor.
RV is towed to service shop for a ' who knows how many days till we can get to it repair'...
Who would have thought.. 5 year old RV with 3000 miles on it and a never in my lifetime complete loss of brake fluid in a vehicle... I am beginning to really hate RV's ...
And it is my 27 anniversary today...
ZACRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2015, 12:03 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
I gotta admit, that is very unusual, especially the brakse part.

Is this a brand new unit, or used? I'm assuming used. May be the reason why it only has 3000 miles on it.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 12:06 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZACRUX View Post
So after starting my first RV adventure with my 32ft Coachmen Mirada 32 DS, we leave home to discover the dash AC not working... so we start the generator and coach AC.... after an hour the generator stops it get hot ...we have just over 1/4 tank so stop to fill up and restart the gen and coach AC.....
After an hour or so the gen stops again and we do the run for an hour stop and cool down the coach with the generator and roof AC.. repeat ...repeat... till we stop at our friends house in Kansas...
Our friends son has AC gauges so we do a quick charge and dash AC is working fine. After a wonderful visit we plan to leave this AM and as we are going down the short but steep driveway ... apply brakes and the pedal goes to the floor.
RV is towed to service shop for a ' who knows how many days till we can get to it repair'...
Who would have thought.. 5 year old RV with 3000 miles on it and a never in my lifetime complete loss of brake fluid in a vehicle... I am beginning to really hate RV's ...
ZACRUX
Happy anniversary!

Welcome to the WWRVO...(Wonderful World of RV Ownership),
I've been a member for 30 years and unfortunately I still haven't wised up.

Mel
'96 Safari , 141k miles, (mine since '01)
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 12:23 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Murphy was looking for you Hope all turns out well.
Old 06-25-2015, 12:52 PM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Bummer! Not a good way to start an adventure for sure! Hope you get your problems solved so you can get to the good part of RV'ing!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 02:04 PM   #6

I hate to say this but if this coach is only 5 years old there should be nothing wrong with the A/C system so whatever you just put in to make it cold will most likely leak out down the road and you will be hot again. The generator is a mystery and the brakes just sounds beyond acceptable. It will be interesting to see what broke and where all the fluid went to. If there was not a pool sitting where it was parked then it would have to be a slow leak that has been doing this for a while. Good luck.
Old 06-25-2015, 02:34 PM   #7

It is always recommended that your first trip or 2 be close to home so when problems like this arise they aren't such a big deal. Also camping in it a couple of nights in the driveway will help work out most interior problems.
89sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 05:53 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Yep, IMO RV's fall into the "Use it or lose it" category. Lack of use is the biggest killer of these toys.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 12:44 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Happy anniversary, and I hope things go better for the rest of your trip.
Old 06-26-2015, 05:41 AM   #10

The brake lines corroded especially where the clamps held the line to the frame. The unit was purchased near Newport News and we camped a year in Holden Beach NC. We are glad this didn't happen going down the West VA mountains a couple of days earlier. Well $600 poorer and 30' of brake line later we are back on the road...
ZACRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 06:14 AM   #11

Ahh, the nice ocean breeze and salt air.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 08:13 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Ahh, the nice ocean breeze and salt air.
I would always shy away from any vehicle that has lived near the beach.

Tags
brakes