Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-16-2014, 04:31 AM   #43

Talking junk store

I bought a drill with extra rechargeable batt. I have had a taste of the junk so now I know better the little tires on My Blue boy are from there also just bought new ones 10years old so some junk is ok LOL Bushman just nothing that needs power be gas or elect..Have a nice day...Oh some things are questionable...lol...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2014, 06:51 AM   #44

Everything I have ever gotten from them with moving parts has either broke or burned up. Their hand tools are ok. Good enough to stock the tool truck for the farm with them. I will say the breaker bar is not very strong and gets a big bow in it. I use the craftsman one more and I have bent one wrench.
I like their socket sets but they skip sizes then you have to fill in the blanks for a full set.

jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 07:09 AM   #45

If you are used to a quality battery powered drill, I would suggest you stay away from those offered by HF. The charger is junk, does not shut off by itself. If you want one that does, it's more than the drill. After finding this out the hard way, I'll stick to one of the major brands here for sure - just like the sandpaper thing! I use it often enough to justify spending what I need to for the sake of avoiding junk. Like others though, I've had very good luck with everything else.
Old 07-16-2014, 07:53 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJerryP View Post
With so much made in China, I see no reason to pay more elsewhere for a made in China tool, with a Name brand on it. Made in China junk is Made in China junk
I quit buying Craftman tools because they are made in China....
IamJerryP

Besides, if every American refused to buy anything made in China there would be ten's of thousands of unemployed 8 year old Chinese children...(and American corporations would be forced to make their millions using American workers).
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 07-16-2014, 08:00 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdossett View Post
... Of course, I had to pick up the 27 LED work light (for free) to go with it! H
Last night SO was going out looking for the cat and ask where a bright flashlight was. I mentioned my hiking head lamps in the RV. She saw the 27 LED work light by the door. When she came back she said "Man, this thing is bright!" So even the free stuff works, some times!

H

hdossett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 08:08 AM   #48

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My main set of tools are all snap-on including the cabinets. Those never leave the garage. When we got into motorcycle racing I wasn't about to lug everything in and out of the race trailer let alone risk losing some tools. Enter Harbor freight. I started with one of their higher end mechanics tool sets. I think their higher end hand tools are called Pittsburg. They have held up for over ten years and haven't bent or broken a single hand tool. I have added tons of their tools over the years from motorcycle lifts to shop presses. All have worked well on a weekly basis. Their electric tools that I use once or twice a year have held up well too. When it comes to drills and impacts I have dewalt as theirs seem cheap. Specialty tools that are only used a couple times a year have held up as well. If you want reviews of items before you buy, search you tube. There are a couple guys doing review videos on their power tools. On another note, I found a great mechanics tool set at farm and fleet. Its a 200+ piece set made by someone else for dewalt. The ratchets are awesome. Super nice set. Like others have said, you have to pick and choose.
Old 07-16-2014, 02:21 PM   #49

It really depends on what you are buying if Horrible Freight is a good deal or not. Any of the tools are not going to hold up or have any precision. Of course if you want precision don't buy Craftsman either.
But some stuff is OK. I have a sand blaster that lasted OK. After going through for bags of sand, the nozzle is worn out, but that should be expected for cheap. I have a 2Kw inverter from them that I've had for 5 years, and it has been fine. Don't know if it really would put out 2Kw, but it does run the microwave. One really good thing Harbor Freight sells is LED trailer light kit. I have bought 5 of them so far, and all of them have worked very well. I even took one set and cut it into the back of my motorhome for tail lights. The first set is probably 7 years old.
Old 07-16-2014, 03:21 PM   #50

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
"Tools are junk"

I remember years ago when I'd go into the auto parts store they had a table of tools with a Lifetime Guarantee.. Most of them the guaranteed life was one use (They were throw-away tools)

I have purchased stuff from Harbor Freight, some of it has lasted many years and still works great,, Some of it.. Well I did not plan on using it 20 years down the road.. The big items were

1: Cargo carrier (Hitch hauler like) this lasted till I did something stupid (Backed into a stone wall) and broke it then I rebuilt it and it again lasted many years.. Finally I killed it (With a wrench) and replaced it with a Dodge Neon (Bought a car to tow).

I once told an RVer who was having problems getting his 5er centered on the levelin blocks "Get close and we will adjust them later, I can only pick up 12 tons" he looked at me like I'd grown antlers.

Then I went and got my air compressor and jack-jack, This is a 12 ton air/hydraulic bottle jack from harbor Freight.. Works like a jack hammer only instead of a hammer it's a pump. Hence "Jack-Jack".
Old 07-19-2014, 09:31 AM   #51
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
You get what you pay for! And I like the freebies!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 10:17 AM   #52

Thor Owners Club
I bought an engine jack for $99 with a coupon. I use it for pulling our 5th wheel hitch and so far its done a spectacular job. I accept that a lot of the tools I bought at HF won't last long, but its what I keep in the truck for the RV, so it doesn't get used everyday.
Old 07-19-2014, 11:16 AM   #53

A little off topic, but I figure a lot of tool guys on this thread. So if I have a 1999 Ford chassis on my MH would the old standard inch tool be what I need to keep on the coach of would metric be the way to go, or both? May go get a set of HF tools for MH. I like to buy quality, hate spending $$ for something that will just be in storage bay most of the time.
Old 07-19-2014, 01:30 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliej View Post
A little off topic, but I figure a lot of tool guys on this thread. So if I have a 1999 Ford chassis on my MH would the old standard inch tool be what I need to keep on the coach of would metric be the way to go, or both? May go get a set of HF tools for MH. I like to buy quality, hate spending $$ for something that will just be in storage bay most of the time.
Get both, or a single set with both.
if you do not have them, you will need them for some other problem with something newer on the coach.
Old 07-19-2014, 02:46 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliej
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJerryP View Post
Get both, or a single set with both.
if you do not have them, you will need them for some other problem with something newer on the coach.
Its a well known fact that if you don't want it to break, bring along the correct tool to fix it.
Old 07-19-2014, 03:06 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliej View Post
The auto industry was using some metric 20 years before your 1999 was built.
On topic. A HF socket set I just used for the first time had a missing socket and the extension twisted off like it was made of peanut butter.