Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-10-2014, 07:52 AM   #29

Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
DH loves that I like to shop there, too. We have 4 of their tool boxes & I use one for my craft stuff. Bought a tub of bungy cords which came in real handy & I have my rosary making stuff in a portable tool box. We buy microfiber cloths, flashlights, & other disposables there. I'm probably going to buy a wheelchair ramp and carrier to attach to rear hitch.
Textronics is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2014, 01:07 PM   #30

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
The HF tool warranty is the same as Craftsman. If it breaks, take it back and they'll give you another one.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 07:29 PM   #31

National RV Owners Club
To me shopping at Harbor Freight kind of like shopping at Walmart. Some things are worth buying there and some are not. I have tools purchased at HF and some purchased from quality vendors. Depends on the item and the use.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 08:18 PM   #32

Harbor freight

I live about 60 miles from the closest HF so I order on line, there air tools are pretty good angle grinder but the drill bits I have found are great, table saw blades have been good 10'' and 12''. My shop I have thousand of dollars of craftsman hand tools but I bought a Mazda Miata to restore and use as a toad and I purchased a bunch of metric tools from HF and they have been very good. The best thing I found that really works in the RV is a small 27 LED portable flashlight / worklight $ 3.49 I bought 3 and soon after I catch them on sale I guess I have about 8 or 10 now. Magnet tow light kit for the toad , also great deals on micro fiber towels. There jig saw blades are crap and I don't care for there screwdrivers.
bakerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 11:43 AM   #33

like a kid in a candy store, I cut out the coupons and keep them in my wallet.

93 Southwind
2001 Saturn SC2 toad
mikeh2obury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 07:10 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeh2obury View Post
... I cut out the coupons and keep them in my wallet.
Me to. Just went over today and picked up an on sale clamp on Amp-meter with a 25% off coupon. The best one I've in 67 years, and the only one! Of course, I had to pick up the 27 LED work light (for free) to go with it!

H

hdossett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 07:23 PM   #35

Harbor Freight works fine for me for many tools.
As I work a lot with metal, I get grinders, benders etc,.. from them, but when I need a welding machine, I go buy a USA made one. Miller, Lincoln, or Hobart etc...
With so much made in China, I see no reason to pay more elsewhere for a made in China tool, with a Name brand on it. Made in China junk is Made in China junk
I quit buying Craftman tools because they are made in China....
Kind of like American car companies selling Japanese made cars. I see no reason to have loyalty to a brand, when they are foreign made anyway.....I can buy a Toyota, or Nissan, or Honda made in the USA
IamJerryP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 07:28 PM   #36

like other said. my candy store for tools. they honor their warranty and have returned a few things with no questions asked and new tools givin to replace them. My last purchase was a set of hose clamps to clamp down the fuel lines on my generator to change the fuel filter. Tuesday morning will tell if they do the job.
HR2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 07:56 PM   #37

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJerryP View Post
Harbor Freight works fine for me for many tools.
As I work a lot with metal, I get grinders, benders etc,.. from them, but when I need a welding machine, I go buy a USA made one. Miller, Lincoln, or Hobart etc...
With so much made in China, I see no reason to pay more elsewhere for a made in China tool, with a Name brand on it. Made in China junk is Made in China junk
I quit buying Craftman tools because they are made in China....
Kind of like American car companies selling Japanese made cars. I see no reason to have loyalty to a brand, when they are foreign made anyway.....I can buy a Toyota, or Nissan, or Honda made in the USA
Reminds me of my 1950's childhood. Biggest put down you could hurl was that something was, "Made in Japan." That lasted until in the '60's Nikon, Pentax, Sony, etc. started making products that put U.S. and European technology to shame. By the 1970's the auto industry was in the same shape, Japanese autos and their quality were far superior to what was coming from Detroit. We might have developed the technology, but the details and quality control was coming from the far east.

Sooner or later perhaps folks will stop running down Chinese products. ....As I type this on my Apple Macbook Pro.....made in China.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 08:02 PM   #38

Thor Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I do buy from hf but here lately I've been going to northern tool.
planojeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 08:13 PM   #39

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by HR2004 View Post
like other said. my candy store for tools. they honor their warranty and have returned a few things with no questions asked and new tools givin to replace them.
It's an interesting place, but I find their tools to be imprecise, not built very well, and generally crappy. Great for light use, maybe..

For example, I went through 4 of their 4.5" angle grinders before buying a Makita that lasted years.. Still have it. They'll sell an extended warranty on their stuff.

Their screw drivers are soft and break easily, as are their driver bits.
I've had drill bit sets that are literally soft out of the box, bend -don't break, those went back, but I will still buy some of their upper end drill bits.

Wrenches are imprecise, break easily. Try using a 6 or 7mm Harbor freight wrench - the casting is so bad that it probably won't work. Ratcheting close end wrench, no comparison to a real tool brand -they break and they don't ratchet very well.

That being said, I'd buy their tarps, bungees, "disposable" paint brushes for epoxy.. Stuff that doesn't have to last. If it's a tool you're going to need, don't buy it there.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 08:26 PM   #40

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It seems the general experience is the same. I have many tools and a complete wood shop of my own design filled with good quality power tools. However in the past several years I have done projects requiring an assortment or a particular tool which I needed but would only use sparingly. One project it was made easier to have multiple 4.5 inch grinders with different blades. I augmented my Dewalt grinder with two from HF. The two cost me $20. total. I could tell the difference in quality but it was irrelevant they did the job just fine and I may never use them again.

Another project required a pin nailer. I shopped the quality brands but just could not pull the trigger and spend that kind of money for a seldom used tool. I bought one from HF for $18. and it works just fine and I use it more than I expected without a failure.

There is a place to save and a place to go for quality, the trick is knowing the difference.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 08:46 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Sooner or later perhaps folks will stop running down Chinese products. ....As I type this on my Apple Macbook Pro.....made in China.
I have a total of 8 apple devices in my home, so I understand what you say, but lets face it, Harbor Freight tools are no where near Apple in quality, and they still do not hold a candle to the USA made tools, back when the USA made tools, or anything for that matter.
I miss those metal clad drills, circular saws, and well made in the USA tools that lasted forever, and were worth the extra$$$$. I hate that modern tools are plastic, and can't take a fall from roof top.
I miss fix it shops that repaired those tools, and other small appliances, if needed.
IamJerryP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 10:05 PM   #42

2 years ago I bought a 3/4 in. Heavy Duty Air Impact Wrench from HF for $85.00 with a coupon. Would it hold up to everyday use....who knows! But it whizzes the 1-1/2 lug nuts off my motorhome with ease. We have used it on my front end loader and my friends have borrowed it a few times. Works great, inexpensive, what more could you want??
MoparHauler is offline   Reply With Quote