Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2014, 09:42 AM   #1

Harbor Freight

ok, I am wondering how many people buy rv related items from this retailer? I have purchased a few items and have yet to have issue. I bought a genny from them ( no name but you can guess ) and it was really cheap and it is still delivering power to this day without fail. Does anyone use them as a source for rv's? I wonder if they might start stocking more rv acc.... if we hint at them?
RVGuy1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2014, 09:46 AM   #2

I find that they jump a couple of levels of markup by directly importing from the Chinese manufacturers. IMHO I's rather buy from them than pay one of the "American" middle men to sell me the same product with their label on it. YMMV.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 10:10 AM   #3

I buy stuff from them, garage stuff mostly. Don't care much form their consumables, though.

Tools I use every six months don't need to be Snap-on, not that their is any thing wrong with that!

This month I am doing an oil changes, transmission fluid changes, rotating tires, etc. on three vehicles. I installed a transmission fluid cooler and R/R coils and plugs on the RV. Hope its a long time before I have to do that much work again.

Big items (tool wise) include a Harbor Freight 21 gal compressor and hose reel, 3.5 ton floor jack from Costco, and an IR air gun from Amazon. I shop price/quality/need ratio. As an avid DIYer, I don't know how I ever got along without them! Could not have bought things like that at the most local retailers.

H.

hdossett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 10:17 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVGuy1966 View Post
ok, I am wondering how many people buy rv related items from this retailer? I have purchased a few items and have yet to have issue. I bought a genny from them ( no name but you can guess ) and it was really cheap and it is still delivering power to this day without fail. Does anyone use them as a source for rv's? I wonder if they might start stocking more rv acc.... if we hint at them?
RVGuy1966
In '98 I lost $30k+ worth of expensive high quality tools, (Delta, Ryobi, Milwaukee, Craftsman, etc), in a total loss house/shop fire.
Since then I only buy Harbor Fright tools and simply replace them if/when they break.
The same is true for RV related items.
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 10:27 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a friend who says their drill bits are great,....if you resharpen them correctly.
he says as bought they are made with good materials but the endsand usually never have quite the correct angle to cut well.
I would have never tried them, but he swears they work well. I'm careful about what I buy there.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 10:29 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

They opened a S&B store near me last year and I'm like a kid in a candy store.

I've purchased tools which I rarely use... but would otherwise be too expensive to justify purchasing them just to let them sit on a shelf.

I've bought a compressor, nail gun, an inspection camera with 3' snake lens, etc. The quality has seemed to be more than acceptable so long as you don't compare them to the top of the line models available at a much higher price.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 10:40 AM   #7

I bought a air compressor about 2 years ago from them.
Carry it around in the RV, just to top off the tires. It was a rebuilt one.
Was prepared to spend $200.00+++ one of the employes suggested the rebuilt.
Has served my purpose well. Tops off the MH. TIRES to 110# plus.
Would air up the fiver tires to 125# . Was right at$70.00!
John and Susan. New 2018 Chevrolet 2500 2 WHD . 6.6 Duramax 3.73 rearend. .4 door ,Short, Bed W/Topper. 2017 Grand Design 297 RSTS. Our rescue dog Annie. Still ,Full timing since 07-01-2011. No sticks and bricks.
poppopc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 10:42 AM   #8

Jayco Owners Club
Every time I go into Harbor Fright, it just makes me sick. If you think these are quality tools then you don't know tools. One example. I thought that sand paper you'd be a no brainer. Wrong. First time I used there paper all the sand came off. I would;d rather pay a little more and not worry about it falling apart, even if they are guaranteed.
RWeigant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 11:26 AM   #9

I buy their tools with the understanding that they are considered to be expendable.
Smithers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 02:29 PM   #10

I buy some tools and stuff from them. Tools are cheap enough that if they fail, just get another one. So far, a $20 10" circcular sander buffer is going on 8 years and I abuse it, still works.
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 02:33 PM   #11

I have bought tools, fasteners in bulk, and motorcycle specific items from "China Fright". For when I insist on heavy duty quality I go to Tractor Supply, and they are a lot closer. The Chinese CAN build good tools, IF the American vendors keep an eye on Quality Control. If the vendor gets lazy so do the manufacturers.
Even the much vaunted Sears/Craftsman tools are not what they used to be.
LeeRevell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 03:00 PM   #12

Bought a six horsepower clone of a honda motor for my grandsons go kart, started first pull out of the box. 99 dollars, still runs strong.

Joe 1998 Itasca Sunflyer Ford 460
Annierufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 03:00 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hit and Miss

Been buying from Harbor Frieght for about 10 years. About 15% of the items I buy go back for being defective. But, I understand that these are not top shelf items either. They have always gave a refund or a replacement on bad items.

"For GOD'S sake, be human"
Tomtall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 03:10 PM   #14

I buy items from them and take advantage of their free items. So far I have bought a few tools I need for occasional use, electric testers and plan on picking up an air hose and connectors for my DP compressor. I haven't had a problem with anything yet.
myshaggydog is offline   Reply With Quote