Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-07-2014, 12:01 PM   #1

Hard Water Marks

I have a 2012 Tiffin Allegro RED 34' motor home.

I was at a park last winter that when they watered - the water spray often got on the bottom part of my motor home. I thought I could clean off the hard water marks with the waterless wash. Some of the lighter marks did clean but other marks were not about to come off with the waterless wash.

I want to get the hard water marks off and not damage the finish on my motor home. I want to know if anyone has an idea of what I should use to clean hard water stains and not damage the finish on my motor home.

Don

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2014, 12:19 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Howdy and welcome to iRV2! I've never had hard water stains on our RV, but we do have hard water at home. For cleaning tile, I use a product called 'CLR' that is available at Home Depot. Jelmar | We Clean More Than You Think - Home

You might contact them to see if the product is appropriate for the finish on your motorhome. I'm not sure it is recommended for painted surfaces.

Also, try vinegar, or a clay bar that is used for cleaning automotive finishes.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 12:22 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by donplessas View Post
I want to get the hard water marks off and not damage the finish on my motor home. I want to know if anyone has an idea of what I should use to clean hard water stains and not damage the finish on my motor home.
Don
That is a good question.
I'm looking forward to some answers.
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 05-07-2014, 12:25 PM   #4

white vinegar doe the job for me.
Old 05-07-2014, 12:43 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaverfever View Post
white vinegar doe the job for me.
Agree. Most hard water deposits are a result of calcium. White vinegar will remove it.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 12:57 PM   #6

Thanks to everyone for the ideas. White vinegar looks like my best choice. I will try white vinegar as soon as it warms up enough here in Montana. It should be warm in a few days. Current temp is 33 degrees with 8mph wind. I will check Home Depot when we go there for the CLR.
Old 05-07-2014, 01:32 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by donplessas View Post
Thanks to everyone for the ideas. White vinegar looks like my best choice. I will try white vinegar as soon as it warms up enough here in Montana. It should be warm in a few days. Current temp is 33 degrees with 8mph wind. I will check Home Depot when we go there for the CLR.
Vinegar will probably get the job done. As for the CLR, I'd check with the manufacturer (in the link above) to see if they recommend it for use on your RV before putting out the money.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 02:01 PM   #8

There will be nothing on the label of CLR referencing removal from any one item. It will however tell users to "test" a spot before using on any surface. I have used it on a new Phaeton as the Dealer washed the coach with hard water and left spots and the CLR did the job.
Old 05-07-2014, 02:32 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

I keep a spray bottle of water & white vinegar mixture in the coach at all times. Makes an excellent - and cheap - spray & wipe cleaner (use a microfiber cloth) as well as removing water marks. I use a 15% solution. Stronger won't hurt the finish but it will strip wax off if strong enough.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 05:59 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Some CG sprinklers did a number on my RV a few years back. Nothing worked for me, not CLR, vinegar or anything similar. I finally tried Clay Magic and it worked like a charm. It removes all surface contaminates including wax, so you need to re-wax the area you clay.

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 06:10 PM   #11

I don't have water spots on my painted surfaces but my window glass has spots. I've tried the standard Windex and various vinegar solution concentrations. Haven't tried CLR but has anyone had similar glass spotting and what worked for you?
Old 05-07-2014, 06:28 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
A clay bar with lubricating spray works great on windows as well. When done, go over the window with soap and water and dry.

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 10:44 PM   #13

My house sprinklers got my pickup everyday for 3 weeks with hard water and then let to dry in the hot sun. The calcium ate right into the clearcoat. Claybar, light rubbing compound done by hand, nothing would take it out. Finally took it to a bodyshop and had the vehicle professionally buffered and polished-now she shines.
Now whenever I have water on my coach or other vehicles, out come the microfiber clothes and quick detailer-gotta keep on top of this stuff
Old 05-07-2014, 11:05 PM   #14

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoNuts View Post
I don't have water spots on my painted surfaces but my window glass has spots. I've tried the standard Windex and various vinegar solution concentrations. Haven't tried CLR but has anyone had similar glass spotting and what worked for you?
Try this:

HOW TO: Super Clean Your Windshield - YouTube

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
water