Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2018, 07:07 PM   #1

Has any kind of RV never required warranty work???

Reading here about everyone's warranty issues it came to mind....I wonder if anyone has ever purchased any type of RV, either a MH, 5thW, or TT and have it not need any type of warranty work right from the start,?

We purchased our first RV early last year, a 2017 Heartland North Trail Calibur Edition travel trailer. At the point of purchase we could not see anything wrong. We were sure we were missing "something"!!! LOL Took it out camping for a weekend right from the dealer...and that was actually the dealer's request. They encourage people to take their units out right away for camping so problems can be addressed immediately. They said they had gone over everything and it appeared everything was in working order when we picked it up. That surprised us too. They had it hooked up to shore power and gave us a walk through showing us that everything was in working order. Everything worked fine. There weren't any blemishes or anything wrong. We were shocked actually after reading on here how everyone seemed to need work done on their unit right from the start.

A few weeks into our trip all over the USA the circular part of the hinge that is inset on the flip up cabinet doors started coming unglued. DH bought some glue and just re-glued each one as each of the seven cabinet doors started coming unglued one by one over the course of about 1 month. Easy peasy fix. So far, we've been full timing in it now for a year and nothing else has needed fixing. I guess we should count ourselves lucky??? LOL

What's your story? Has anyone had nothing wrong or very easy fixes that you didn't even bother taking back for warranty work? Just curious. And what type of unit did you buy?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2018, 07:21 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
I have never heard of anyone buying a new rig and not needing any warranty work. It is part of the "program"
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 07:32 PM   #3

Mine has never graced a dealer or any other RV shop......
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 07:33 PM   #4

We had work done, but that was several months after we bought it. Poor placement of the awning switch which got wet from the door area in rain causing it to stick and burn out the awning motor. Dealer fixed in a couple days and I put a clear plastic flap over all the switches. No problem there. Couple things fixed at the factory and at the Rally. Othewise, very happy overall.
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 07:38 PM   #5

I am persuaded that "RV"and "Motorhome" are adaptations of an old American Indian word for "Unfinished, Incomplete, or Wait! Wait, there is more to it".
I am finding stuff on a 8yr old that the factory missed.
This ownership thing should be a "labor of love" because, after all we will either get to know our machines...or get "known" by a shop
Not much different are boats.

PS (No offence meant to any people groups, real or imagined)
Old 06-19-2018, 08:06 PM   #6

We've only bought new twice and I have to say, both have been good rigs. The first was a small entry level class A made by Rockwood that had no problems at all during the warranty period. We had it for 7 years and never had to take it to a dealer for any repairs. It was a good one,,, until a tornado laid a big oak tree on top of it.

Our 2nd is the Itasca that we have now. It went in for warranty work one time to get the water heater to stay lit and to rework the wallpaper border that was coming loose. Have had other problems after the warranty expired but have been able to repair myself.
Old 06-21-2018, 12:14 AM   #7

I bought my Four Winds Class C new in 2009 and had no issues at all for 7 years when the generator needed service and now I need a new transfer switch. Other than those, zero issues.
sgpd1sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 12:31 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
Mine has never graced a dealer or any other RV shop......
Wish I could say the same... Just alignments and tires from 2001 on up here, lol.

Houdoxi71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 12:55 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Our 2012 Bounder has been a good one; we had a few items on our punch list after taking delivery... messed up blind on kitchen window and realigning dump valves. Just one trip back to the dealer and smooth sailing since. We take care of maintenance and small stuff ourselves and thankfully have had no "big ticket" failures. (It's about time to shop for tires, though.)
Old 06-21-2018, 05:55 AM   #10

I have to say our has been somewhat trouble free. Never returned to the dealer since new. One mobile repair call in two years. A few minor things we have dealt with ourselves. Just returned home Monday from a 3,700 mile trip with no problems.
Old 06-21-2018, 08:07 AM   #11

We have never bought new, so never any warranty work. That said, neither of our two Winnebago products have had any coach related issues while we owned them. The first one had problem with the LP burner on the ten+ year old fridge that was easily fixed and I had a lot of PM work done on the Ford part of our current 13 year old MH. I used a well regarded Mom & Pop RV shop for that work. The previous owner did have the roof replaced before I bought it.
The Jayco we had as our second RV required almost constant rebuilding, but I was able to fix it all myself.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 08:23 AM   #12

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
My rig was made by Forest River and didn’t have any of those annoying problems that plague most new RVs. I'd buy another FR product. My brother bought a pricey new Thor toy hauler and has had tons of problems.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 08:37 AM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
Has any kind of RV never required warranty work???

I have bought two RVs new. 2005 Montana 5th wheel and 2011 Heartland Landmark. Neither one went back for warranty work. There was a rim recall on the Montana where keystone replaced all 4 chromed steel rims with cast alloy wheels.

I repair the little things myself during warranty periods and everything after warranty ends.

My thoughts are consumers demand a perfect unit with NO imperfections and run to a warranty claim if the wall paper peels a little, for example. There are valid warranty claims where wires are loose/missed connections for example, or where things simply stop working, or running gear failures.... I’m not talking about those.

The current RV manufacturing process - volume and speed - and consumer expectations, which I believe stems from automotive warranties where quality systems were implemented over 20 years (90s and 2000s), are never going to align.

My thoughts - as I sit here with morning coffee on summer solistice. Happy summer camping!

Brian
Towr: 2007 Country Coach Allure 470 - 37 Sunset Bay Cummins 400 ISL, Coach #31563
Toad: 2016 F150 King Ranch - 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 Supercrew (curb weight 4,775 lbs)
Toad: SOLD 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee (yes, it has a Hemi) (curb weight 4,720 lbs)
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 09:05 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGlenn View Post
I repair the little things myself during warranty periods and everything after warranty ends.

My thoughts are consumers demand a perfect unit with NO imperfections and run to a warranty claim if the wall paper peels a little, for example. There are valid warranty claims where wires are loose/missed connections for example, or where things simply stop working, or running gear failures.... I’m not talking about those.

Brian
I don't expect a coach to be absolutely perfect at delivery. Like you, I don't mind taking care of the little things. But at the same time, I did purchase it with a warranty to repair things that go wrong. It's my decision as to whether I want to go through the inconvenience of making an appointment and driving to the dealership, or making the repair myself.

Your statement about wallpaper is fine, if the looseness is only in a spot or two. In our case, most all of the midway up the wall border was coming loose. The dealership didn't bat an eye when I showed them the problem. They went beyond my expectations by regluing and then installing wooden trim along the upper and lower edges of the paper. I'd imagine it is close to 40 feet of trim, into and around corners, that they installed. I really like the way it came out.

Tags
warranty