Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-22-2017, 06:35 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
When I arrive in my motorhome I park. It's already 68 degrees inside regardless of the outside temperature. I press a button to level then press a couple more to extend the slides. All while still seated in the drivers seat. I can then get out and connect the electricity, water and sewer - or not. Sometimes I wait a few hours to connect the utilities and sometime I don't bother until the next day. If I have a need to overnight in a big box parking lot or rest area I never even open the door on my motorhome.

When I stop for a break in a rest area my motorhome is at the proper temperature. I don't have to put the slides out to go to the bathroom or use the stove, microwave, kitchen sink or open the refer. When I get where I'm going I have a nice maneuverable 4 door Jeep to drive around instead of a dually F-350 that takes two parking spaces and needs a football field to turn around.

If my motorhome dies I can still drive my Jeep. If my Jeep dies I can still drive my motorhome.

Usually takes me less than 2 minutes to connect or disconnect the Jeep and I can completely set up my motorhome, connect all utilities and disconnect the Jeep in less than 10 minutes without ever working up a sweat. I've had TTs and know you can't do that with a TT. I've never had a 5th wheel but have watched many folks work over an hour to get set up. I've even seen some who had to get out the tool box just to get the truck disconnected from the 5th wheel.

If I want a sandwich while driving down the road I just ask the wife to make me one. No need to find a place to stop, pull over, park, get out, put out the slides and eat it in a 110 degree RV. Sometimes I depart the campground early in the morning and the wife and dog don't even get out of bed before we're 100 miles down the road.

To each his own.
You have painted a great picture, I enjoyed Rving with you right here at my computer. I don't think I will be looking at TT.
valland is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2017, 08:15 AM   #16

We often go in trips with a buddy with a newer TT, to give it to him the inside is very swank with an island and all, also a separate outside door to the bathroom, all purchased for less than what I paid for an 11 year old gasser. We are often sat down drinking a beer before he is only half setup.

He is thinking of moving to a 5th wheel, I keep telling him he will need something heavier duty than his half ton Chevy.

I also know for a fact he is now overloaded when towing his TT.
Old 10-22-2017, 08:21 AM   #17

I'm still looking for the perfect RV. We went from tent to a PU camper, to a pop up, to a class C, to an American Eagle DP to an AF fifth wheel with a bunch of units in between. Loved/hated all of them. For livability, we found we needed (wanted) at least 40' in the DP category. That length was hard to fit into many of the sites at the Forest Service and National Park campgrounds we prefer to camp at. We found the AF 27-5 (30') was the best compromise between livability and park ability that we have found to date. Another big plus for me is that the truck and AF are both easier to get serviced or service myself as compared to the DP. The important thing is to find the rig that works best for your situation and go camping.
MtCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 08:41 AM   #18

So very well said.
Old 10-22-2017, 08:48 AM   #19

We went from a small 27' class A (no slides) to our present 5th wheel. The room is amazing, and I don't mind pulling it as I drive a truck for a living. With that said, we are talking about going back to a mh. DW has a perfect toad, but $$ is an issue. I will keep my truck, or we could possibly trade. We got the first so we could travel with our kids (Great Danes) We are down to one now,,, Will see... Pretty common to hear buy your third rv first. We are on our second... Monkey
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 06:11 PM   #20

Sold my 45' Super C and stacker trailer for a 45' toy hauler. Miss the Super C but really liking the toy Hauler!
Old 10-22-2017, 06:36 PM   #21

One of the factors for us was that DW could not and would not drive our 45' coach. She will drive the truck and pull the trailer. She wouldn't attempt to drive our prior 40' either. Got to figure out what works for you as there are positives and negatives for every type made.
Old 10-22-2017, 07:08 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
@ hohenwald48
All I can say is

YOU NAILED IT !!!!!

and is why I just purchased my first MH.
BayouBoy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 07:44 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwell18 View Post
Thanks all for reminding me why I purchased the motorhomes in the first place.

Yup
Arricejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 10:08 PM   #24
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
My MH is too convenient to go to any towed vehicle. In the pouring rain, I pullover and walk to the bathroom. I'm hungry my DW can make me something to eat I stop, eat and I'm back on the road. Plus if the DW is bored or sore she can get up and walk around a bit.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel