Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-12-2012, 05:25 PM   #1

Has anyone have to have both sides Upper and lower ball joints replaced

What was the cost. I have a 2006 29' Jamboree with 55k Ford E450 Chassis. I just got told my ball joints have to be replaced. Any idea on what that would cost..Or if you had them done. what did they cost you. I am not looking for the price of the Do It Your selfer. How much did the service station charge you?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2012, 05:46 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
98 coachmen 34000 both top & bottom 800$ florida

Old 03-12-2012, 08:01 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Don't remember what I paid for my F250 ball joints as I had a friend of my son do it. I did get good advice though. Ford uses sealed ball joints and they tend to go bad fairly quickly. Use only Moog ball joints for replacement. They come equipped with grease fittings and if they are greased at every oil change they will last. Mine are doing great. Good luck and safe travels.

P.S. There is a good Ford pickup forum at Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com.
BeltoneMagoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:07 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassoneman View Post
What was the cost. I have a 2006 29' Jamboree with 55k Ford E450 Chassis. I just got told my ball joints have to be replaced. Any idea on what that would cost..Or if you had them done. what did they cost you. I am not looking for the price of the Do It Your selfer. How much did the service station charge you?
I own a repair shop and installing top end greaseable ball joints would run about 620. Probably about 690 with an alignment.
I'd guess the "RV" shops would charge more because they can.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:10 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
First make sure that the shop did check the ball joints correctly. A lot of places do not know the correct procedure to check the ball joints on the E450 chassis.

ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Miniature Schnauzer, one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 04:36 PM   #6

Send a message via Yahoo to frederick w
Some shops use a large bar mechanism to compress the ball joint. Some mechanics really reef on the bar to show you the extremities.

The above method for checking is not perferred and can even damage some ball joints.

One would think that any ball joint would last more than 6 years if not driven off road.

He should get another opinion.

Just my experience.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:05 PM   #7

TXiceman and frederick w.....absolutely correct! One of the biggest aftermarket ripoffs of the 60's and 70's was replacing perfectly good ball joints, especially on Ford products, due to the common designs of the times. Get the vehicle in the air on a frame-mount lift, let the front wheels dangle, grab either tire at the top and the bottom....and wiggle the tire/wheel assembly horizontally in and out to show the customer all of the "slop" in those "bad" upper ball joints. I NEVER did this personally, but I know more than a few guys that did....MOST not knowing how to check the ball joints correctly, but others doing it just to make a buck. In those days, because of the joint's design, the hanging weight would pull the top ball slightly out of the socket and easily allow movement. And because the lower suspension control arm is now on a 30 degree angle to the ground, the lower ball is only partially secured in that socket....and a long-enough pry bar held by a guy with a big enough bicep could show slight movement there. Happened all the time.

Certainly designs have changed. And I do not know what procedure Ford technicians use today to check ball joints. Just MO, but I would make sure that the guys checking the joints are well-versed in correct front end diagnostics and test procedures....and have a current Ford Shop Manual or CD somewhere near their workstation. Anything less....and anything goes. FWIW.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:27 AM   #8

Not on the motorhome, but just had all 4 replaced on the Jeep. $500 out the door with Moog ball joints. They lasted 148,000 miles so I'm not complaining. FWIW, the GoodYear shop quoted me $695 and I said I could get it done elsewhere cheaper. They then quoted $550. I said $500 out the door and you can do it today. They did.