Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-25-2016, 10:09 PM   #1
Community Moderator

Has anyone installed Xantrex HFS 2000W

It caught my eyes that HFS 2000w is a PSW charger/inverter. I am curious if anyone has installed one on an RV, particularly if it's a plug n play in replacement of a Freedom 20D.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2016, 05:46 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
It caught my eyes that HFS 2000w is a PSW charger/inverter. I am curious if anyone has installed one on an RV, particularly if it's a plug n play in replacement of a Freedom 20D.
I am not a fan of Xantrex. Their customer service is not great and I speak from experience. The Magnum MS series is a very good inverter with a support team behind it. I have the MS 2800 in this coach. Great inverter for my AGM battery bank.

Happy trails,
Rick Y
Old 02-26-2016, 10:10 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
I am not a fan of Xantrex. Their customer service is not great and I speak from experience. The Magnum MS series is a very good inverter with a support team behind it. I have the MS 2800 in this coach. Great inverter for my AGM battery bank.

Happy trails,
Rick Y
agreed, xantrex probably needs to improve their cs... i am looking at ms2812 as well. the only problem in my case is it's size - ms2812 is slightly fatter than the encapsulated space originally designed for freedom 20d. if going with ms2812, i might have to come up with an innovative solution to fit it in. cheers.
Old 02-27-2016, 09:46 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I have install the Xantrex Freedom SW-12V 3000 W with 150 A Charger in my 98 American Dream to replace the 2000 W Heart Inverter. Also install the remote panel
and had purchase the Automatic Generator Start, but have not install it yet. I have no problem with the Xantrex, that it be running the invertor for AC power or the Charger to recharge my Battery's. There ton off different ways to program via remote panel for what you want it to do for you. The only problem I see with this
unit, is that you have to be mechanically incline to install and program it. Went that done it easy to use, my wife use it with no problem, just had to show her a few simple step.
JoeMoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 11:25 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMoe View Post
I have install the Xantrex Freedom SW-12V 3000 W with 150 A Charger in my 98 American Dream to replace the 2000 W Heart Inverter. Also install the remote panel
and had purchase the Automatic Generator Start, but have not install it yet. I have no problem with the Xantrex, that it be running the invertor for AC power or the Charger to recharge my Battery's. There ton off different ways to program via remote panel for what you want it to do for you. The only problem I see with this
unit, is that you have to be mechanically incline to install and program it. Went that done it easy to use, my wife use it with no problem, just had to show her a few simple step.
that one was my first thought when i started my search. somehow xantrex increased the size drastically comparing with freedom 20d. i crossed it out from the list because it just won't fit into the space i have. i know it sounds like weird why i am so keen on the size as the current space for 20d is the only place i can use for a new charger/inverter, all other places in the battery bay are occupied. regards.
Old 02-28-2016, 07:51 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
agreed, xantrex probably needs to improve their cs... i am looking at ms2812 as well. the only problem in my case is it's size - ms2812 is slightly fatter than the encapsulated space originally designed for freedom 20d. if going with ms2812, i might have to come up with an innovative solution to fit it in. cheers.
Orientation is not a problem with the MS units. Floor or side wall, it will work. Even upside down on the compartment ceiling. Getting it up there and keeping it there might be a problem.. Hope you can make it work. Mine has the Auto Start feature and also supplements my power when on 30A service. If the batteries are up, the inverter will kick in to run the microwave or whatever is on the inverter sub-panel if needed. I have seen a 18A boost from the inverter when the 30A service is maxed out.

Rick Y
Old 02-29-2016, 09:48 AM   #7
Community Moderator

i figured i might be able to fit in an ms2812 with a custom bracket, and installing it upside down. by design its breaker is on left side, i need it to be on right side. when upside down, the breaker would be facing out. yay, that would work thanks.
Old 02-29-2016, 01:22 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
I found the same thing with the ME 3012. When the ME is installed north/south so that the cables reach everything, the breakers are up against the rear wall. I elected to install the ME east/west so that everything reaches. I can't get the cover plate on but am designing a cover to replace it with that will have an air filter on it.

You will be much happier with the ME. The tech support is great.
Old 02-29-2016, 06:38 PM   #9
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
I found the same thing with the ME 3012. When the ME is installed north/south so that the cables reach everything, the breakers are up against the rear wall. I elected to install the ME east/west so that everything reaches. I can't get the cover plate on but am designing a cover to replace it with that will have an air filter on it.

You will be much happier with the ME. The tech support is great.
don, isn't me3012 msw? my current xantrex freedom 20d is msw which does not work with induction cooktop otherwise it is satisfactory. i am thinking to replace it with a psw when chances are right. there seems a lot of people happy with magnum, i am aiming at a ms2812 or a msh3012m. is yours a msh3012 or me3012?
Old 02-29-2016, 07:33 PM   #10

Quote:
don, isn't me3012 msw? my current xantrex freedom 20d is msw which does not work with induction cooktop otherwise it is satisfactory. i am thinking to replace it with a psw when chances are right. there seems a lot of people happy with magnum, i am aiming at a ms2812 or a msh3012m. is yours a msh3012 or me3012?
This is the one I installed. Guess I should have added all the letters to go along with the 3012. Magnum Energy MSH3012M 3000 Watt 12V 125A Inverter/Charger with 120VAC Output

If you are going to get any ME stuff. iMarine is the cheapest place to get it
Old 02-29-2016, 08:16 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
I think Don (and by his admission) has the # wrong. I just checked the website the the MSH3012 is not in stock. You might be interested in this though: Robot Check

or http://www.amazon.com/MAGN-MSH3012M-.../dp/B00GN5RZAY

The "white" cabinet Magnum's are PSW. The "black" are MSW. You are wise in going with the PSW inverter. We love our MS2812. We have the residential frig and it works fine on this inverter. The Magnum remote is a ME... number. You have a couple of choices on that. We have NAPA oem AGM batteries. After 6 years they are just causing me to question them. The inverter/charger has done a great job at keeping the 6 of them in the string up to par.

Rick Y
Old 02-29-2016, 08:39 PM   #12
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
I think Don (and by his admission) has the # wrong. I just checked the website the the MSH3012 is not in stock. You might be interested in this though: Robot Check

or Robot Check

The "white" cabinet Magnum's are PSW. The "black" are MSW. You are wise in going with the PSW inverter. We love our MS2812. We have the residential frig and it works fine on this inverter. The Magnum remote is a ME... number. You have a couple of choices on that. We have NAPA oem AGM batteries. After 6 years they are just causing me to question them. The inverter/charger has done a great job at keeping the 6 of them in the string up to par.

Rick Y
thanks rick!! i think ms2812 would be good enough for me, for the size (dimensions), the wattage and the pricing. on the other hand, the higher wattage one, msh3012m, costs much more for merely 200w extra plus the "hybrid" function but do i really need that? so i should be happy going with an ms2812 i guess. the remaining thing is to get a good deal .

i did notice that two versions of the remote me-rc50 and me-arc50 are out there. need to do some homework on what their differences are... the manuals say they are using twisted pair cable (not a straight 4 pole phone line) as oppose to a straight phone line i am using. well, need to find a small short piece of twisted pair and couple it to the existing line...
Old 03-01-2016, 08:35 AM   #13

CF, call ME and ask your questions to them. They are very helpful and everyone speaks English!

When I installed, I installed the ME-AGS-N, the ME-BMK-NS, and the ME-ARC. Everything plays well together and I am totally happy with it. I went with the hybrid because there are times I only have 15 amps available and the wife hasn't figured out that she can't run the TV, the DVR, and the microwave at the same time!

As far as being out of stock at IMarine, the unit was out of stock when I ordered it also. They don't sell a lot of them so if you want one, call and they will have ME drop ship to your address. Another plus feature of iMarine is the free shipping when the order is above $75. That is a good deal considering the weight of the inverter.

Just looked at the iMarine website and they are showing two of the 3000 watt hybrid units in stock.

As far as price difference, the 2812 sells for $1405 and the 3012 for $1574. The delta is $169
Old 03-01-2016, 09:16 AM   #14
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
CF, call ME and ask your questions to them. They are very helpful and everyone speaks English!

When I installed, I installed the ME-AGS-N, the ME-BMK-NS, and the ME-ARC. Everything plays well together and I am totally happy with it. I went with the hybrid because there are times I only have 15 amps available and the wife hasn't figured out that she can't run the TV, the DVR, and the microwave at the same time!

As far as being out of stock at IMarine, the unit was out of stock when I ordered it also. They don't sell a lot of them so if you want one, call and they will have ME drop ship to your address. Another plus feature of iMarine is the free shipping when the order is above $75. That is a good deal considering the weight of the inverter.

Just looked at the iMarine website and they are showing two of the 3000 watt hybrid units in stock.

As far as price difference, the 2812 sells for $1405 and the 3012 for $1574. The delta is $169
big thanks don!! i now understand that ME in your terms was referring to Magnum Energy, i mistakenly thought you were talking about their inverter ME series . imarine does have the lowest prices in the web so far i have seen. awesome!! i agree for merely $169 difference, 3012 is definitely the one to go

Tags
led, install, xantrex