Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-25-2014, 01:51 AM   #15

I have a rule one major repair on any vehicle. Why keep dumping money into an older vehicle when you could use that money to update to something nicer and newer?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2014, 09:54 AM   #16

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by SylviaCub View Post
Ok. I understand frugal. And I understand Rust. It's a cancer of sorts. The longer you run it this way the more of a chance the front end will fall out of it while you are zipping down the road towing the TT with the kids and wife in the truck.

The trouble is most trucks these days... yipes, I've seen beds torn just behind the cab... TORN metal is scary. Still I think this good ol' ford needs replaced. Maybe you can buy a better "body" and put all your parts from this one in it... then scrap it?

Rest assured the front end will not fall out from under it. All new ball joints, tie rod ends, axle bearings and leaf spring perches inspected.
The bed on the other hand is at the end of its life and needs attention, it has gotten to the point that it needs to be removed or replaced.

Improper coolant used

Water pump was damaged

Exhaust back pressure sensor plugged.

Radiator replaced not due to dirt but cracks in the lower hose area of the tank.

OE shocks still on the truck

New shocks on.

Oil pan primed for repainting. Don't let a pan for a 7.3L rust or you'll be sorry.

99 Dutchman Lite. 30'. 2002 Ford F-350 Superduty 7.3 Liter Navistar Diesel manual 4x4, 3.73 ratio, True Blue, Bone StockSOLD! Current tow beast: 2005 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel Allison 1000 Automatic 4x4, 3.73, Onxy Black, Bone Stock.
fbh31118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 10:19 AM   #17

Country Coach Owners Club
Saying your cheap is no longer correct. It has been the long time joke in my family how cheap I am but not any more now I'm green! Frugal,tight,cheap and now green I'm just glad I am the way I am and because of that no longer live pay check to pay check!
I second the trip to a warm and sunny place get a great used truck and enjoy the drive home!
Old 06-25-2014, 10:41 AM   #18

my worry would be chassis integrity. towing can stress a rust weakened weld past it's breaking point. Keeping the truck for your run around use as suggested above it a good idea
Old 06-25-2014, 11:19 AM   #19

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooltrdr View Post
my worry would be chassis integrity. towing can stress a rust weakened weld past it's breaking point. Keeping the truck for your run around use as suggested above it a good idea
The frame is in suprisingly good shape with no holes or thin areas. Had to inspect this often when it was working commercially.
99 Dutchman Lite. 30'. 2002 Ford F-350 Superduty 7.3 Liter Navistar Diesel manual 4x4, 3.73 ratio, True Blue, Bone StockSOLD! Current tow beast: 2005 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel Allison 1000 Automatic 4x4, 3.73, Onxy Black, Bone Stock.
Old 06-25-2014, 09:34 PM   #20

I was kinda in the same situation...awhile back. When I lived in Georgia, I bought a REALLY well used 1968 F100 with a 390 engine with the intention of fixing her up and using it for 'house stuff' and as a daily work truck. At the time, I think, it was a state law that if you lived and worked in Georgia, it was mandatory you had to have an older PU.

Long story short, it just didn't work out and no matter how much money this thing absorbed, I learned that you just can't cover up a piece of crap... even in multiple layers of dollar bills.

After awhile I got fed up and took it to a small, local "Ugly Truck Contest and Rummage Sale"... it took 3rd in it's class(POS). Sooo, I bought a rather used looking "FOR SALE" sign there and along with the little silver ribbon, hung both on the windshield. It wasn't fifteen minutes later that a guy asked me "How 'bout it"? "Don't think I could take less than $12 hundred", I said. "I can give ya four for it" he says. "OK", I say. The deal was done, but I had to wait two hours for the FW(First Wife) to pick me up and one of his hundred dollar bills was a ten. To this day, I sweat during any transaction involving anything over a couple hundred bucks...and I count, carefully.

Two months later, I had to pay just under four hundred to get this '3rd place winner" out of the police impound lot and I decided to have it towed to the 'crusher' so this menace couldn't hurt anyone else...seems the new owner left it where it died... and I was still the 'official' owner on record.

I now do business a little differently these days. My MO now is not to 'paint' any vehicle with any more than a quart of my own blood while preforming maintenance tasks during any two year period.........present motorhome excluded.

"Don't never buy or hang on to no UGLY TRUCK"!

RIP 'Squeaky'
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 10:08 AM   #21

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by scenic route View Post
"Don't never buy or hang on to no UGLY TRUCK"!
Right on Scenic, that is a terrible story. Hoped you recovered from that experience ok.

The difficult part for me is that my truck run and drives great and every thing works. Even with the laundry list of stuff to be done and has been done, it serves me well. However, it has just gotten to the point of becoming unrealistic for what I would expect to get out of it.
Old 06-26-2014, 10:35 AM   #22

What part of the rust belt do you live in? People just beg for more and more salt on the roads because they will destroy their vehicles in a few years anyway. Those of us that want to conserve are hosed.
Can you find a place to park the truck and use it as a parts bin for a similar truck that came from a no salt state?
Old 06-26-2014, 12:13 PM   #23

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnmor View Post
What part of the rust belt do you live in? People just beg for more and more salt on the roads because they will destroy their vehicles in a few years anyway. Those of us that want to conserve are hosed.
Can you find a place to park the truck and use it as a parts bin for a similar truck that came from a no salt state?
I've considered it but the time factor seems to be the biggest challenge. It could be done but I'm not sure its worth the time taken away from the family for what I would get out of it, if the kids were out of the house I would think more about it.
Old 06-26-2014, 08:25 PM   #24

Come on, it is a Ford! Got to expect a little rust and a few repairs.
Old 06-27-2014, 08:37 PM   #25

I would go to a no rust state, buy a roller with a bad motor and swap the entire front clip, cab, and bed from the rust free donor onto your frame.
Old 06-27-2014, 09:39 PM   #26

Our local salvage yards all have good southern SuperDuties in various states of disassembly.

In the south, our state governments cannot afford salt for frozen roads. When it snows, we just stay home. Poor state/local road maintenance keeps down our property taxes.
Old 06-28-2014, 06:41 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbh31118 View Post
its a kind of a challenge here in the rust belt to find some thing affordable and close to rust free.

I've traveled up into the rust belt to buy trucks cheap...but I don't keep them very long. If you're a long-haul trucker (keep trucks for years) then consider finding a southern truck that's cheaper than a dealer's and rust free?

When I say rust free, I mean 10 year old vehicles that have Zero rust on them. Just a thought.
Old 06-28-2014, 09:50 PM   #28

something i forgot

Forgot to say this, but while swapping the cab etc over, under coat the entire thing while its apart, it will make it last a lot longer. many people treat undercoating as an afterthought. Where I live it is a regular maintenance item.

I live right next to the ocean where salt spray and its attendant corrosion is a fact of life. here everyone with an once of common sense undercoats their cars when first purchased (even used cars) and then recoats them every other year prior to inspection. (they will fail you here for structural corrosion on the frame or uni-body).
cheers

the photo I attached shows the rock sliders on the side of my truck, if you look closely (its high resolution) you will notice a textured appearance, thats not paint, its rubberized undercoating that the entire frame is coated with. I climb underneath all of my cars every other year and pressure wash the undercoating to get any old stuff to peel off, then I re-coat is all.

kenn
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF7897.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	456.0 KB
ID:	66365  

Tags
cheap, high mileage, repair, rust, tow, worn