Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2014, 12:04 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Question 'Has the time come?' A tow vehicle saga

Now let me start by saying that I'm not apart of the 'throw away' society that we see today of many folks, I just wasn't raised that way, if it broke you fixed it and there is very little that can not be properly fixed in one way or another. Guess that is just the farmer in me that can't bring myself to start over with new equipment, some how I feel like I'm giving up. However, a few signs of the time have come and I'm starting to wonder if it's time to move on. My dad, of 67 years, looked at my truck and then looked at me and said "Son, I only pay $200 a month on my truck." A.K.A., "your getting into this way too deep son", but I digress.

What do you think? Is it time to find some thing else.

The holes are all the way though the sheet metal were ever you see rust. This is the same side as above eight months later.

To date I've put more into the truck than I bought it for by well over a grand and counting.

Transmission and t-case rebuilt
Alternator
glow plug controler
axle seal
rotors
brakes
water pump
radiator
shocks
belts
idler pulleys
hoses
t-stat
front axle bearings
rear drive shaft rebuilt
windshield replaced
fan clutch
trans cooler
starter

and that's just to name a few

Now for the real expensive stuff

Glow plugs
injectors (289,000 on the original sticks)
under valve cover harness
high pressure oil pump rebuild or reseal
high pressure oil lines
injection pressure regulator
front diff rebuild
front drive shaft rebuild
rear axle stone guards
emergency brakes replaced
box and tailgate
fenders
doors
head lights
brake lines to the rear
brake line flex hoses
rust fix around roof marker lights
driver door lock
running boards
exhaust manifolds
exhaust up pipes and bolts
turbo boots

I think I'm fighting an uphill battle on this. The motor runs great but its getting to the end of its body's life and is very near, if not already, becoming unsafe with the doors delaminating at the bottoms and rocker panels with holes in them. I will say that it made a thousand plus mile trip this weekend pulling roughly 6,000 lbs and did it for roughly 10 to 12 miles to the gallon and has never left me on the side of the road through its own fault.

I've got some better pictures that I will add to the thread later on, it will make it easier to laugh at my ignorance.

99 Dutchman Lite. 30'. 2002 Ford F-350 Superduty 7.3 Liter Navistar Diesel manual 4x4, 3.73 ratio, True Blue, Bone StockSOLD! Current tow beast: 2005 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel Allison 1000 Automatic 4x4, 3.73, Onxy Black, Bone Stock.
fbh31118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2014, 12:09 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Look at it this way; As the body rusts away the truck gets lighter and the mileage will increase.

bdpreece is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 12:17 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdpreece View Post
Look at it this way; As the body rusts away the truck gets lighter and the mileage will increase.
I've always claimed that my truck is naturally getting 'greener'.

Here is another picture from this weekend

99 Dutchman Lite. 30'. 2002 Ford F-350 Superduty 7.3 Liter Navistar Diesel manual 4x4, 3.73 ratio, True Blue, Bone StockSOLD! Current tow beast: 2005 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel Allison 1000 Automatic 4x4, 3.73, Onxy Black, Bone Stock.
Old 06-23-2014, 12:34 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
If you are making lists and thinking about getting rid of it then you should probably get a newer one. When my husband starts those questions and lists I just tell him "Do it now because sooner or later you are going to anyway so why not do it now so that you stop beating yourself up over doing all the things to try to have it go a little longer"
Old 06-23-2014, 02:01 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrateSilly View Post
If you are making lists and thinking about getting rid of it then you should probably get a newer one. When my husband starts those questions and lists I just tell him "Do it now because sooner or later you are going to anyway so why not do it now so that you stop beating yourself up over doing all the things to try to have it go a little longer"
Why not do it now; because I'm cheap! which in turn causes me to spend more money than if I had just replaced it in the first place.

The list started when I bought it.

The wife's car is getting close to being payed off and we refuse to have more than one car payment at a time.

Either way we'll wait till the car is payed for, with two kids at home we live very frugal, hence why we choose a 'Dutchman' travel trailer. Ok, that was a little much, sorry about that.

It usually takes use six to twelve months to find a vehicle, its a kind of a challenge here in the rust belt to find some thing affordable and close to rust free.

Thanks for listening to me drown on about my truck problems! Hopefully you folks can get a few laughs at my expense.
Old 06-23-2014, 02:09 PM   #6

Throw away was cars of before where 100k miles was good if they made it.

Jeep has 450k miles on second motor...was a rescue...salvation army purchase with second motor installed 200k or so before.

F250 171 k miles on factory tires...

So yes you can fix it but it has served its duty so bid it farewell.
Old 06-23-2014, 02:33 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbh31118 View Post
The wife's car is getting close to being payed off and we refuse to have more than one car payment at a time.

It usually takes use six to twelve months to find a vehicle, its a kind of a challenge here in the rust belt to find some thing affordable and close to rust free.

When Thom mentioned he wanted a different vehicle other than the 4Runner my response was "Can we at least wait until either the bike or the MH is paid off? I really don't want 3 payments." The bike was paid off about 4 months after that and shortly there after we got the Fiat Abarth. Now he's talking about trading off the current MH for something newer ...... Can we please wait for a little while before going thru the 6 - 12 months for Thom to do his research on any vehicles? Before deciding on the Fiat Thom had looked at them for the last 3 years.

I understand completely.
Old 06-24-2014, 11:48 AM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Yup...Its time to move on. There's probably rust you can't see. Sell it for a bit of money and go get another truck. But go buy a truck in a place where used trucks aren't rusted out. If your "frugal" take a holiday and drive to another state and buy the rust free truck there. That way you are getting out and buying a good used truck.
Old 06-24-2014, 06:00 PM   #9

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbh31118 View Post

Either way we'll wait till the car is payed for, with two kids at home we live very frugal, hence why we choose a 'Dutchman' travel trailer. Ok, that was a little much, sorry about that.
I "resemble" that remark. Only a "Dutchman" is allowed to say the Dutch are cheap...so I'll say it for ya. WE are CHEAP! and proud of it.
Old 06-24-2014, 11:18 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dverstra View Post
I "resemble" that remark. Only a "Dutchman" is allowed to say the Dutch are cheap...so I'll say it for ya. WE are CHEAP! and proud of it.
Ditto
Old 06-24-2014, 11:27 PM   #11

Ok. I understand frugal. And I understand Rust. It's a cancer of sorts. The longer you run it this way the more of a chance the front end will fall out of it while you are zipping down the road towing the TT with the kids and wife in the truck.

The trouble is most trucks these days... yipes, I've seen beds torn just behind the cab... TORN metal is scary. Still I think this good ol' ford needs replaced. Maybe you can buy a better "body" and put all your parts from this one in it... then scrap it?
Old 06-24-2014, 11:40 PM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SylviaCub View Post
Ok. I understand frugal. And I understand Rust. It's a cancer of sorts. The longer you run it this way the more of a chance the front end will fall out of it while you are zipping down the road towing the TT with the kids and wife in the truck.

The trouble is most trucks these days... yipes, I've seen beds torn just behind the cab... TORN metal is scary. Still I think this good ol' ford needs replaced. Maybe you can buy a better "body" and put all your parts from this one in it... then scrap it?
Sylvia... you make a lot of sense! Hope it makes his decision easier.
MartySQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 11:41 PM   #13

I once kept "resurrecting" an 86 Bronco. The wife finally put her foot down a dragged me to the Ford dealer (yeah, ok, start beating me up for going Ford, Fix Or Repair Daily) and getting a new 150. First new car in 26 years. Yes, I keep fixing my stuff too BUT I'm glad I popped for the new one now going on 8 yrs old but still WAY better than the old Bronco.
The old one deserves a good burial.Shoot it and be done with it. You're beating a dead horse :-) :-)
Old 06-25-2014, 01:32 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Here's a win-win for you. Buy a new truck for the family duties and keep this old Ford for your personal running around. Best part is, you can keep the new truck out of the crappy weather so it won't suffer the same fate.

Your situation reminds me of my 1989 Isuzu. Bought new and now has 341,000+ miles and still going strong. Probably my favorite vehicle of all time. I bought a new Tacoma for those days when the wife goes with me, but when it's just me and I'm going to the gym or the hardware store - I still prefer the old Trooper!

Enjoying the simple life w/a 1994 Winnebago Brave 31RQ (A). Past RVs; RoadTrek (B), Starcraft Pop-up, Coachmen (C), MinnieWinnie (C) and an American Something-or-other (TT). Started it all off as a teenager in a 1964 Apache Pop-up we named Wag Along.
minibike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cheap, high mileage, repair, rust, tow, worn