Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-19-2015, 06:36 AM   #1

Hauling toys, Motorhome, Towable, or Lift?

Okay, I am overloaded with information that I am trying to digest. I have two Harley Davidson motorcycles I want to move around and then park the motorhome for a few days as we ride an area before packing up for the next destination. I don't think I want a trailer because there may be 5 adults traveling together to Alaska for 3 months and that is too long for us to ride in a pickup together. Am I correct, people cannot ride in the trailer while it is moving? Looking for your opinion on Class A with trailer vs toy hauler. I saw a thread that mentioned converting to a toy hauler that I will check out. Anyone have some experience with a similar situation that would help me focus on what to get or avoid? Thanks.
rjnichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2015, 06:45 AM   #2

State by state. Some states allow it if you have open two way communication, not cell phones but low band or cb. Other states nix the whole idea . I guess do your research for the route your taking.
diesel1204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 09:40 AM   #3

Rainy days

With the 5th wheel you can still go exploring on those days that it is too rainy to ride the bikes.....We took a trip to Alaska last summer and we drove a couple hundred miles a day. We found it more enjoyable to spend less time driving and more time exploring. Once you get to Alaska you will find there are not that many highways and they are all in the south east part of the state.
Bob Vaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 03:26 PM   #4

Class A Toyhauler maybe? Newmar makes a nice one.
asuperheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 05:17 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Hauling toys, Motorhome, Towable, or Lift?

Five people will pretty much fill a full size Class A on such a long trip, so I'd trailer the bikes behind the motorhome. Anything else will be a serious cramming of people into too small of a space for all those endless road miles.

That's my perception based on a couple of three month, 7000 mile trips with just the wife and I in a Class A. The idea of adding three more people while simultaneously reducing the living area in such a drastic way, and I'd cancel that trip in a heartbeat.

If you guys really love toughing it out while being packed together them try it with less living space square footage. Maybe you could just pretend that you're all canned sardines for the trip.

Again you asked for opinions, so I'm just giving mine, Class A and a bike/equipment trailer required if enjoying the trip is one of the goals.

(Snowbirds in Reverse)
Winnebago Chieftain / Ford Hybrid Toad
Raining Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 09:18 PM   #6

When we took our bike along I carried it on the rear of the motor home. Then when four of us went on a trip, we used a 16' enclosed trailer for our trike, Escapade trailer and the brother-in-laws Harley. That worked fine for a two week trip out east. Now we pull a 26' enclosed trailer with a 5.5 KW generator, AC on the roof, and a work bench with tools including a welder when needed. We are off-roading with a Jeep now and sometimes we break things. From our experience, get as big a motor home as you can afford and a bigger trailer than you think you need for a couple of bikes. It's nice to have the extra room and the trailer can be used for other things including storage. It's also nice to get the bikes under cover in bad weather.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote