Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-31-2011, 04:57 PM   #29

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by melvonnar View Post
I did just that; (made a formal complaint); The commander wrote back and said they would investigate; a few weeks later I received a letter from him saying it was OK to park from dark till dawn. I never did find out what was said to T R Jones.
I keep a copy of that letter with me when I travel; my wife was so upset she won't let me even stop in North Carolina, to buy gas.
You did better than I did. I made a formal written complaint about a Sheriff car passing me doing 80mph in an 55 zone with no lights on etc. 10 minutes later I came across his car in a restaurant parking lot. Called the Patrol Office and got a Sgt who said the deputy could do whatever he wanted, so I made a written complaint. I had at least 3 Sheriff Dept folks come out to "talk" to me about the written complaint trying to get me to rescind it.

Still need to do a Freedom of Information request to see if anything ended up in the deputy's file.

While I appreciate a Sheriff's hard job that doesn't mean that they should be completely unrestricted in their actions. They are supposed to be enforcing the LAW, they should be following the LAW.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2011, 05:04 PM   #30

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Reading more of the replies: I have had no problems with the Cracker barrels I've stayed at... The spaces for RV/Bus parking are generally not "Prime parking" but I like it that way.

Wal Mart.. kind of noisy but again no problem.

Never spent the night in a Freeway rest area... And likely won't cause I like to get off the road.. But I can see the need.

I do agree, Truckers drive all day (or all night) and need to take a break for so many hours every so often. Sometimes that's going to be at a rest area.. I like truckers, when I was a police dispatcher some of them did us serious favors. My brother is one. Thus I like to leave the space for them.. I look for a "J" or a Wally World or a Moose Lodge (Since I can park at those) or something like that.
Old 10-31-2011, 09:22 PM   #31
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
I have never seen a sign specifically stating "Nor RV Overnight parking," but I have seen many that say "No Overnight Parking."

So here is my question in either case. What constitutes "Overnight" parking? If I pull in to get two hours or a little more sleep, that is not overnight. So can I look at my watch, it's 8 p.m., and be gone out of their by Midnight? That is not overnight.

I'm really at a dumb point in this terminology. Of course, it must be whatever the law enforcement officer states it is, right?

Yes, I think it is a form of discrimination, but my questions still stand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
That is NOT "discrimination". The sign clearly stated "No RV Overnight Parking"
I'm still asking for a definition of "overnight parking?"

Is it 8pm to midnight, midnight to 8am, 10pm to 2am, what is "overnight" parking?

If I pull into a spot at 8p.m and leave at midnight, that is not overnight parking.

Or another perspective, I pull into an area at 8 a.m, and leave at 4 p.m., that definitely is not overnight parking -(except it's my sleep time maybe.)
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 09:31 PM   #32

Never mind.
Yellowreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 09:39 PM   #33

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff View Post
I avoid the whole rest stop game by overnighting at Cracker Barrels, they are so far very accommodating and we get a good meal too. And its not like there's a shortage of them......more CBs than rest stops, I bet.
And arguing with LEOs never works.
Actually there are NO Cracker Barrels in OR or WA and I know of at least a dozen rest areas around here.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 10:02 PM   #34

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowreef View Post
Never mind.

X2

If We Can't Haul It...You Don't Need It ! Motor-T
Attached Images

"Semper Fi"
w6pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 10:07 PM   #35
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Instead of "Never Mind," just blank out the text and hit the back arrow.
Old 10-31-2011, 10:55 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M
Instead of "Never Mind," just blank out the text and hit the back arrow.
I had already posted something and had to go back under edit. Wasnt in reply to you, but thanks for the tip.
Yellowreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 06:45 AM   #37

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have never seen a road side rest area that strictly forbids overnighting of RV's. Some rest areas have signs stating no overnight parking, but that is for all vehicles, not just RV's.
Due to overall length, RV's are required to park next to trucks. Some, not all, truckers seem to think the rest areas were built just for them, so they can get thier federally required hours of rest in. It sure causes some overcrowding of the stops, especially at night. And no, I am not bad mouthing truckers. I would just like to be able to get in and out of rest areas in my motohome, and have a place to park while using the facilities.

Dieselclacker
dieselclacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 07:24 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by rf4 View Post
I think I would have stated that I had been driving for x amount of hours and am exhausted and felt that any more driving would put me and anyone else on the road in harms way and would he be ok with taking responsibility in case I got into an accident.
I told him that; It only made him madder. At this point he threatened to give me a $235 fine.

These police are in the minority; but they give the whole force a bad rap.
melvonnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 07:28 AM   #39

Question:

Is it 8pm to midnight, midnight to 8am, 10pm to 2am, what is "overnight" parking?

If I pull into a spot at 8p.m and leave at midnight, that is not overnight parking.

Or another perspective, I pull into an area at 8 a.m, and leave at 4 p.m., that definitely is not overnight parking -(except it's my sleep time maybe.)

Answer:
The explaination I got from the police commander was overnight was from dusk to dawn.
hope this helps
melvonnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 01:34 PM   #40

Rest areas are constructed with public funds that all motorists pay, trucks, cars, rv's, etc. Therefore, the rules for use should be uniform.
They are for the convenience and safety of the motoring public. Can you stop and rest for two hours? Yes. Can you stop and rest for six hours? Probably. However, we are now getting into semantics of what constitutes 'overnight' parking.
Almost all rest stops are built on Interstate highways and with Federal Funds with a token amount of state or local money.
State or local LEO must not enforce discriminatory laws or make their own laws to enforce.
Rest areas are for all to use on an equal basis, otherwise they are discriminating against potential users. That is wrong!
CarlGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 09:56 AM   #41
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by melvonnar View Post
Question:

Answer:
The explaination I got from the police commander was overnight was from dusk to dawn.

hope this helps

I assume he meant "any portion of dusk to dawn." However, to me it would mean all inclusive dusk to dawn - but he wins.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:16 AM   #42

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
I assume he meant "any portion of dusk to dawn." However, to me it would mean all inclusive dusk to dawn - but he wins.
Yup, that's what I was taught and my experience confirms - the individual with the gun and badge pretty much holds all of the aces.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote