Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-30-2011, 01:12 PM   #1

Have you been discriminated against?

Most rest stops have a sign that says no RV overnight parking;
18 wheelers can stay as long as they like. I agree that they are on a job---but arn't that what truck stops are for?---whats fair is fair.
I was put out of a rest stop in North Carolina because the cop said RVs wern't allowed to stay overnight; when I told the cop that there were twenty 18 wheelers here when i pulled in and they were still here; he got very irate and threatened to give me a ticket if I didn't leave ---RIGHT NOW.
Got his name TR Jones; he is a realy hateful cop.
I have stayed in Florida rest stops and had no problems; but they do have a sign that says no overnight RV parking.
melvonnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2011, 01:18 PM   #2
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have never seen a sign specifically stating "Nor RV Overnight parking," but I have seen many that say "No Overnight Parking."

So here is my question in either case. What constitutes "Overnight" parking? If I pull in to get two hours or a little more sleep, that is not overnight. So can I look at my watch, it's 8 p.m., and be gone out of their by Midnight? That is not overnight.

I'm really at a dumb point in this terminology. Of course, it must be whatever the law enforcement officer states it is, right?

Yes, I think it is a form of discrimination, but my questions still stand.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 01:38 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
That is NOT "discrimination". The sign clearly stated "No RV Overnight Parking"
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 01:40 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Regarding TR Jones... I've seen officers who made up their own law more than once. I have seen them completly ignore the law and write an inappropriate ticket as well. I have gone to court and won against them twice.

I was chatting with a rest-stop attendant In Michigan and he said it was allowed (RV or Semi) However if there are a lot of Semi's in the lot and it's filling up from what others have suggested... You might wish to move on down the road.

THIS IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE,, Nor is the reason you want to move legal. But you might wish to move non the less.
Old 10-30-2011, 04:11 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
By follow the instructions on the signs and being more apt to ask an officer a question than to tell them anything; I move through life generally unperturbed and as a result feeling free of descrimination---except to the extent people just do not like old overweight bearded men or their occasion commentary.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 04:19 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I avoid the whole rest stop game by overnighting at Cracker Barrels, they are so far very accommodating and we get a good meal too. And its not like there's a shortage of them......more CBs than rest stops, I bet.
And arguing with LEOs never works.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 05:01 PM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Probably the unsafest, most unsanitary stops are rest areas at night. None are well-lit to speak of, and there's a lot of drug and prostitute traffic in many of them. Michael Jordan's dad was killed in one even... but I know what it is like to be so tired that you have to stop somewhere that you normally might not. I also know what it's like to be kicked out of a parking area that you need to be in.
RVs get the bum's rush because that's how many of the pimps roll, these days. You expect to see people in and out of an RV, not so much the big trucks. But, the odds are the rules get put in place for one of the above considerations.
Generally, when an officer told me to "move along," I got with it. I didn't want to be the next sideshow for all to behold with my belongings and gear stripped out of my unit in some kind of search.
Kind of like flipping a U-Turn when you see a long line of cars ahead for a DUI checkpoint. (I know someone who did, lol)
Old 10-30-2011, 05:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by melvonnar View Post
Most rest stops have a sign that says no RV overnight parking;
18 wheelers can stay as long as they like. I agree that they are on a job---but arn't that what truck stops are for?---whats fair is fair.
You ain't gonna' win, either parking or spelling - - most highway patrol men know the FEDERAL law requiring truckers rest time. Suggest you just leave that one alone
DennyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 06:07 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Having been a police officer I'd make a formal complaint with who ever is over officer TR Jones.
That is IF you had a legal right to be there and the officer was wrong.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 06:22 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekanic View Post
Having been a police officer I'd make a formal complaint with who ever is over officer TR Jones.
That is IF you had a legal right to be there and the officer was wrong.
I did just that; (made a formal complaint); The commander wrote back and said they would investigate; a few weeks later I received a letter from him saying it was OK to park from dark till dawn. I never did find out what was said to T R Jones.
I keep a copy of that letter with me when I travel; my wife was so upset she won't let me even stop in North Carolina, to buy gas.
Old 10-30-2011, 06:27 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Looking at it from someone who has been in a truck, Highway Patrol and DOT encourage truckers to stop and rest. It used to be and probably still is a problem with truckers trying to get to their destination and not sleeping and wind up in a crash. The last thing anyone needs is a half asleep trucker going down the road. Lot's of these guys probably drive twice the mileage every day that most RV's do. This is day after day. There are hrs. of service rules that they have to abide by and then they have to pull over because they are out of hrs. This is strictly enforced and that is probably the reason for the cop to do what he did. Yes Rv'ers get tired too and also need somewhere to rest but they have more time to seek out a suitable place. Personally I stay away from rest stops and truck stops because of things I have seen.
Old 10-30-2011, 06:33 PM   #12

Florida has night security; I questioned an officer on duty about the sign and he said, it was for the time when, and if theres a problem they can put people out, staying one night was no problem if you didn't cause any problems.
When I stay in a Florida rest stop, I stay under a light close to where the officer is parked.
Old 10-30-2011, 08:53 PM   #13

When you stay in a rest Stop, do you stay in the truck area or in the car park area?
Old 10-31-2011, 06:28 AM   #14

Vintage RV Owners Club
If it makes you feel any better I've been woke up in rest areas in my truck and told I couldn't spend the night because there is a three hour limit. It didn't matter to the cop that I was out of hours and taking the mandatory ten hour break....
blackf3504dr is offline   Reply With Quote