Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: What is your experience with your emergency escape window or hatch
I check ir every 6 months and it has always been easy to open 13 41.94%
First time I tried to open it, it was very difficult so now I check it every few months 8 25.81%
I've never tried to open it, but I will check it soon 10 32.26%
I'll never need it so don't bother 0 0%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-04-2015, 09:46 PM   #1
Have you checked your emergency escape hatch?

It has been raised from time to time, but I wondered how many RV owners had actually checked whether they can open their escape window or hatch in a hurry.

I know some owners are reluctant to test theirs because of fears (rumours) they will leak or they won't be able to get it closed again, but my experience indicates if you don't check it, you might not be able to get it open in an emergency.
And yes, it does also take a bit of effort to close and latch it again, but it is possible.

Tony Lee - International Grey Nomad. Picasa Album - Travel Map
RVs. USA - Airstream Cutter; in Australia - MC8 40' DIY Coach conversion & OKA 4x4 MH; in Germany - Hobby Class C; in S America - F350 with 2500 10.6 Bigfoot camper
Tony Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2015, 10:08 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Our Bounder doesn't have a "hatch." The emergency windows slide open like a regular window. We do open and close them regularly so we know they open easily.

Sarah (RVM69), Hubby, and Harry the RVin' Dog
.......2012 Fleetwood Bounder 33C | 2012 Jeep Wrangler

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 10:12 PM   #3
American Coach Owners Club
That is a very valid question....I was going to try it, but really not sure what was going to happen..LOL. By that, I mean, if I open it, I assumed it would pop out and drop to the ground...so i guess I need to get a plan to have the DW open it while I catch it from outside!
Tytlfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 10:16 PM   #4
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
When we first noticed our emergency exit windows did not slide very easily, another moho'er on this site recommended using baby powder on the inside tracks. This fixed ours, now they work easily. And they smell like a fresh baby's behind. . .

Bruce & Judy, living the dream in Salida, CO!
2005 Nat'l Dolphin W22 Chassis, 2004 Jeep Liberty
"Let's Roll 'em, Let's Roll 'em!"
Firebug5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 04:26 AM   #5
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My Bounder had a hinged window. The DW and I communicated through it when I was dumping the tanks ( she would report the tank levels to me ) , so it was opened regularly and never leaked. At an FMCA Seminar I attended given by Mac the fire guy , I learned that two 1"x 2" x 30" sticks left by that window would keep it open and assist in getting out in an emergency. That window is heavy. He also suggested throwing the bedspread over the bottom lip of the open window to avoid tearing up your body during escape. Of course that's if you had that luxury of time to do it.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 04:54 AM   #6
Be careful when testing your escape window. Some are designed to come unhinged and fall to the ground. Don't open it too far in case yours is that type.
2015 DRV Tradition 375KPS
2015 Chevy Duramax 3500HD LTZ Dually
Full-timers...Home is where we park it.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 06:25 AM   #7
Fleetwood Owners Club
As to the questions in the poll "First time I tried to open it, it was very difficult so now I check it every few months" this is exactly how mine was after we purchased our MH. I'm not sure if it had ever been opened prior to me opening it but now it is part of my routine checks.
Ken in Nebraska
98 Fleetwood Pace Arrow, 35U
97 Ford F53 chassis
98FPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 09:07 AM   #8
Happy Traveler : )

You didn't add the following poll option:

I first was hesitant to open them, but when I did I found that
they open just like any other window, only a different 'handle'
is required since they are designed to open 'all the way' in
order to have room to 'escape'...
The Turners 2014 Thor Palazzo DP 33.3 35' Bunkhouse
BlueOx, '14 Ford Fiesta, DishHD, KingTailgater2, WifiRanger
50k+miles, 200+ parks, 47 states&Canada provinces, since Aug'14
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 11:26 AM   #9
Fleetwood Owners Club
After watching a u-tube video with mac the fire guy last year of him showing seniors how to escape thru the hatch window by putting a blanket over the lower edge to prevent chaffing your body as you crawl out and then try to lower yourself or fall head first to the ground, or dragging your picnic table over to and under the window every night, and the amount of time you have in a real fire emergency (very little), I thought to myself, there has to be a better way. So, first thing I did was open the escape window, which was stuck, powdered the seals and reclosed them, next I made a 1 x 2 prop stick, painted it and put velcro tabs on one side and stuck it to the wall horizontally at my nightstand. Our escape window is above our headboard so I opened and propped the window, went outside and started thinking how we would escape quickly and safely without breaking my two new knees and would be easy and safe for my dear wife. Went to Home Depot and bought a 8.5 ft telescoping ladder for $59, came home and leaned it against the MH below the window, went inside and tried to exit quickly, located prop stick in several spots until finding the right spot, found upon exiting the possibility of knocking the ladder over, went into the shop and made a stainless steel bracket, drilled two mounting holes at one end, and a 1/2 elongated slot at the other end. I then bent the bracket at a 115 degree angle, mounted the bracket to the coach below the escape window at the point where I wanted the top of the ladder. Then I drilled a 1/2 inch hole in the center of the top rung of the ladder. Now I bought a long shank padlock and put it through the ladder and the bracket . . . reached my destination, hook up water, electric and ladder. During the day if the ladder is intrusive, I can leave it in place and stand ladder vertically against the MH. At night, click click, pull bottom of ladder out for safe exit. Oh, and the lock prevents left. Hope I never need it, but I will always set it up. Believe it or not I have been looked at like I am a nut case when I set up the ladder but I don't care because after all I AM ONE!!!!!!!

Rapid Rick
2013 Fleetwood Terra 35K
rapid rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 08:43 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I voted the "every 6 months" box but the timeframe is more like every year or so. In the current coach it has always been easy enough to open, but a previous one required some signficant effort the first time. I also know some owners who experienced broken latch mechanisms when they belatedly tried to open the escape hatch. Those were latches that used an internal cable to open the mechanism - the cable broke away when the rusty latch resisted movement. Best to find out before the real need arises!
Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 08:47 AM   #11
Monaco Owners Club
I checked the "every 6-months" box but is actually opened and gasket lubed during each spring maintenance check when getting her ready to go for the season.

Mike & Chrystal/ 2011 Jeep JKUR
Link to our 2003 Monaco Baroness Projects/Mods thread here:
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 09:01 AM   #12
We have one escape window that if you use it, it is a one time deal. It drops out onto the ground when pushed open. Not sure how we'd check it.....
2014 Tiffin Phaeton 42 LH
Full timers
Selah2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 07:31 PM   #13
Checked the front top hinged BR exit window and sure enough, the rubber seal was stuck to the glass.
--2005 F350 Superduty Crewcab, 6.0, 4wd, short bed, 3.73 gears
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--SOLD 2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38'
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 07:52 PM   #14
I have 3 and they are windows with screens so anytime I open the windows they get opened. Similar to MisterT, that was not an option in the poll.

GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote