Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2015, 02:02 PM   #1

Have you ever been stranded waiting for a repair?

I know even brand new RVs have lots of issues that need repair.

How often have any of you been stranded in a town having to wait weeks for a repair so you could actually go home?

It's one thing to have something break where you can continue on your trip, even though it is inconvenient.

It is another thing to have to be stuck somewhere and not be able to get home!

So I'm wondering how often it has happened to any of you? I would appreciate people telling us it is never happened, as well as hearing only the stories from people it did happen to.

By and large I think the chassis and the motor tends to be reliable.
Minnesota51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2015, 02:18 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
We had our Ole Toyhouse break down in NC. After a wee of the repair place not being able to fix it, I rented a truck and a tow dolly and towed it home.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 04:30 AM   #3

In 2012 we were in Destruction Bay, Yukon Territory on our way back to the U.S., when the fuel pump decided to go kaput. Luckily we were in a campground. Had to wait three days for the proper truck to haul us to White Horse. Thankfully Cummins and I were able to diagnosis what the problem was, and I had them send a new pump. By the time we got to White Horse, Inland Kenworth had the pump, and they installed it and we were on our way. Being full timers it didn't bother us at all. It's all just a part of the adventure. As a side note, three weeks after the fuel pump install we were in South Dakota when the phone rang. It was Inland Kenworth checking to see if everything was working properly. That's some pretty good customer relations on their part.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 04:57 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
5 seasons and 30,000 miles and only one break down but I was only three miles from home topping off the fuel tank after a weekend outing. Throttle servo motor on a Ford V10 dropped a magnet which resulted in loss of electronic throttle control. ERS towed the coach back to home at no cost and I fixed the problem in the driveway.

Break downs happen and I do my best to avoid them with an aggressive maintenance and inspection schedule but overall the stuff under the floor is pretty reliable and get better with each production generation.
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 06:06 AM   #5

If you are a full timer, then you are already home. The only problem is if your RV is disabled inside the shop and no customers allowed. Then you have to spend your evenings in a motel and your days in the waiting room. Gets old rather fast. Once is enough.
Air Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 07:33 AM   #6

A couple years a go, we blew and air bag on our MH. Of course it happened on a Friday evening, on a stretch of road in Alaska that is not close to any place. Luckily we were able to pull off into a large area that was off the main road. We had a friend drive up from his home to recover the trailer that had our ATV's on it, the wife and our Labs. He took them back to our home and I stayed with the MH. Had to wait until Monday to attempt to locate an air bag, but no one in Alaska had any idea of which one we needed. So, the back up was to call Monaco and have the correct air bag express shipped to Alaska. We final got back on the road the following Friday.
Since we were on our way to go hunting for several days, I had 'lots' of food and stuff in the MH. I got lots of reading done and just plain relaxed!
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 08:21 AM   #7

Last month we were on the home stretch of a 2 month trip. Stopped at a rest area 45 miles east of Mountain Home, ID and found the left rear wheel of my fiver with smoke rolling out. Called GS Road Service and had a guy there in 90 minutes and he diagnosed failed wheel bearing that took out the hub and damaged the axle spline. New axle required. We started to tow back to Mountain Home for repairs and smoke came from the remaining tire because it was rubbing the underside. The guy from Tri-County Repair used a 4x4 block and zip ties to prop it up and we limped back to Mountain Home RV Park where we had stayed the night before. We called in advance to explain the situation, and although they have a policy of no repairs on premises, gave us permission to stay while waiting for a new axle. Tri-County Repair showed up at 5:30, removed the axle and shipped it to Dexter in Salt Lake City the next morning. It was Wednesday evening leading into Labor Day weekend. It took about 10 days to get the new axle on a Friday night only to find that Dexter hadn't assembled it. Tri-County assembled it Saturday morning and installed it Saturday afternoon after closing hours. We still had to wait the rest of the weekend to work with the extended warranty company on Monday.
Kudos to Tri-County Repair for above and beyond, and kudos to Mountain Home RV Park for allowing us to stay there and have the repair done on premises. It is one of the nicest RV parks we have ever encountered and run by great folks. These two businesses made a bad situation a lot better.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 03:43 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

The longest we've spent is a week waiting for body repairs to be completed (and they worked on it every day). Longest wait to get mechanical repairs was over a weekend (3 days), and we were in a campground anyway. Just not the one we planned to be in that weekend.

We've spent 4-5 days at an RV shop a couple of times, but always had the use of the coach at night. Even if it was parked in a service bay. We aren't usually on a firm schedule, so the wait isn't much inconvenience.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 03:50 PM   #9

Once. Transmission. 4 days.
Never missed a beat. Motel and "have toad will travel".
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 04:02 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
My rv has been really reliable. the only thing i had to replace ( out side of routine maintenace ) in 9 years was the electric fuel pump and that was before a trip after testing the fuel pump's pressure due to hard starting.
1998 f 53 (460) winnebago adventurer.

Tags
repair