Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-11-2018, 02:51 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Have you ever had to use your Emergency Exit window

....in an actual emergency?
The last RV show I went to I looked at several RVs with rear bedrooms. All had emergency exit windows in the bedroom, most were very small, especially in the DP Class A's. I could not see either me or my wife trying to escape an smokey RV fire through one of those.
I am a bit paranoid about fire, having lost my uncle and grandmother to a house fire years ago. And they were in their home, became disoriented and perished.
In our current MH, I think we would have a reasonable chance of getting out as there are two larger windows in the bedroom area, but some of the Class A's I looked at had only one, and were partially blocked by rigid window valances. One had an emergency exit window above a small shelf area, surrounded by a mounted valance. That would have to be ripped out before you could even squeeze through the window!
So I am curious whether anyone has had to actually use one.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2018, 03:48 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
We have a large window in the front lounge, but I'd have to break it, which I can do........the actual escape window is in the rear master bath above the toilet. It is large, but, you simply step on the toilet and crawl out and land on your head 5 feet to the ground. Great huh, oh go out backwards?......right. (!) Most coaches are set up this way.

American Coach and Newmar have the best escape, a door! With that you have a fighting chance....the windows large as some are, aren't easy to use in a panic.....and if you have any agility issues, or mobility issues, you're probably dead.
I'm paranoid as well.....I mean heck you've got to get out in no more than 15 seconds or so, that's it.
I think American's (they did it 1st, like their's the best)...and Newmar's designs should be mandatory industry wide.
Roadmaster Nighthawk II, 2011 Lincoln MKX.
2012 Newmar Canyon Star (first coach) FMCA F428511.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 04:59 PM   #3

Works for me....same size in bedroomClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181111_165748736.jpeg
Views:	69
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	225657Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181111_165745096.jpeg
Views:	65
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	225658
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 05:31 PM   #4

My Newmar has a nearly full sized door with an automatic deploy ladder installed in the bathroom. You have to step over the toilet but it sure beats going head first out a window 8' off the ground.

I saw an RV catch on fire one time. I don't think any size fire extinguisher is going to be of much help. I think RV's are made out of the most flammable materials available.
Old 11-11-2018, 06:36 PM   #5

Never "HAD" to use it, however, we decided to open it for cleaning around the opening and seal. Do not do this.

I very nearly could not get it closed. Had to disassemble the securing mechanism and have someone on a ladder outside force it back into position and then just barely got it re secured.

I think perhaps it is a "one time use" sort of thing. Whatever, I'll never open it again unless I need to bail out.

2013 Ford CMax hybrid toad.
av8tor2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 06:42 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Our emergency exit windows are regular large sliding windows and have been opened many times... but not used as emergency exits.
Old 11-11-2018, 06:43 PM   #7

Both on here are hinged
Old 11-11-2018, 06:46 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by av8tor2 View Post
Never "HAD" to use it, however, we decided to open it for cleaning around the opening and seal. Do not do this.

I very nearly could not get it closed. Had to disassemble the securing mechanism and have someone on a ladder outside force it back into position and then just barely got it re secured.

I think perhaps it is a "one time use" sort of thing. Whatever, I'll never open it again unless I need to bail out.
Mac the fire guy will teach in his rv fire class go out the escape window and see how you can make it work if you have a fire it is not the time to learn you just do not have the time for a 2nd try. I removed too many bodies from house fires so I know he is correct a rv can go from normal to inferno is less than 3 minutes. Sleep with the bedroom door closed and check the smoke detectors monthly. It is your familys life you are betting on!
Dupdyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 06:46 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
The kind Winnebago uses with two red levers at the bottom are hinged at the top and I have opened mine, they swing out and won't fall out. I did not have any trouble pulling it shut and relatching with the red levers. It is worth doing once for practice as you have to remove the screen to get to one of the red levers, and on my window the screen is in there real solid, so you'll learn it takes more force than you might think to push it up and get it to pop out of the track it sits in. And you'll want to take your time figuring out how to remove it without breaking anything when you do your practice. :-) Hint: don't pull straight out, push it up then pull out :-)

I bought a inexpensive Kidde emergency escape ladder made for two story homes and keep it under my bed "just in case". I did have to modify it slightly, its metal tubing hooks that were made for the width of a residential home wall had to be cut and lengthened with a couple pieces cut of round closet clothes bar stock to reach the front of the 9 drawer dresser under the bedrooom window. Very compact and weighs almost nothing.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 09:16 PM   #10

The first rule of battle (and life) is that the best laid plans go out the window when the first shot is fired.
Yes, take time to pre-plan, lay your hands on it and make sure you can open it, but when a fire starts in a coach your going to have about a minute to get out, two if your door (real door) is closed and the A/C or furnace isn't running.
I applaud Bob's initiative but I am afraid that if I need a 5#, it is already totaled before I pull the pin. If you are having to fight your way out, the fire isn't going to be your danger, it will be the ammonium phosphate will take you out of here.... I've had to spray in a closed apartment (grease fire on the stove). I had to run outside and take breaths between exposures.
After finding out more, I ended up putting it into policy that if you got it on your uniform and sprayed in an enclosed space a medical clearance was required.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/fire-...p-terry-penney

A 2.5 makes for an excellent animal repellant.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/fire-...p-terry-penney
Old 11-11-2018, 10:07 PM   #11

Wasn't figuring on putting a fire out just mak'n a path ....

Old 11-11-2018, 10:17 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
Works for me....same size in bedroomAttachment 225657Attachment 225658
That little thing is like a squirt gun when there is a real fire. They ought to be against the law. They give folks a false since of security
rvethereyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 10:17 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
If, God forbid, your coach flips over on the passenger side where you cannot escape through the door, you have an eight foot reach to your escape window on the drivers side. (The BR window is also on the passenger side)

I have been trying to imagine how one could quickly get to the window with nothing to stand on. Even if you could reach that drivers side escape window, older people like us would be unlikely to be able to pull ourselves straight up and out.

I hope I never have to deal with that scenario.
Old 11-11-2018, 10:18 PM   #14

I agree, but I'm afraid that sometimes that path can be more dangerous than the retreat, especially for somebody not having prior exposure to ammonium phosphate. Especially in what amounts to an enclosed room.

Tags
window