Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2018, 05:56 AM   #1

Have you ever walked away...

Have you walked away from your motor home or trailer because of a major repair while on the road? I've often wondered if I blew an engine, would I pack what I could and walk away from it?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2018, 06:32 AM   #2

Isn't that littering ?

You are responsible for its disposal. Sign it over to someone.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 06:37 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Kars for Kids or some similar charity will even tow it away for you.
Old 07-30-2018, 06:38 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Part it out. (if close to home) I am sure people would love to get their hands on some good older parts. Not sure if it would be worth it or not but who knows?

Far from home..... I would not walk away but I might not have it repaired if it's not worth it?
banjopickin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 06:48 AM   #5

oh yea if it hit me just right and things were in a bad place for that MH I could be the type to say, take it out my sight, sell it cheap and let ME move on fast

hubby traded our 1 yr old Wildcat 5'ver cause the AC unit was in the bunk room with the kid, she froze and we sweated like hogs in the master. He said, screw this, taking the hit and living way better than this thing allows us to do while out and about and having a fun rv life

at some point you can easily move forward and find ways out from under a disaster you do not need clinging to your life or sucking huge money and true enjoyment out of it for what it truly is worth!
Whirrlly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 06:54 AM   #6

No vehicle/RV last forever, they all get disposed of eventually. It's just a matter of when "being practical" makes sense.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 08:26 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Abandoned

In 2010 our ‘96 Safari (bought ‘01) blew a hole in a piston.

We were in Albuquerque, and Cummins estimated $10K-$15K to repair.

After 2 injector pumps @ $5k ea, fan installed backward during a repair causing overheating problems. Replaced head & exhaust manifold & more...

At that point I gave it to a heavy equipment salvage co fo $3500 rented a U-haul for our stuff an towed our car home.

I used to always take RVs to Cummins for all maintenance, regular and other.

Now I use Freightliner.
Old 07-30-2018, 09:47 AM   #8

Disposal is costly and dirty but if you are going to play with RVs at the end of their life it is part of the calculation. That is why they are cheep and plentiful.

Boats are the same way. If you like to play with boats that are 25years old you have to know that a major repair will be in excess of the value. A small accident will be a total for the insurance co.

I have a boat sitting in my yard right now. It runs, shifts and drives but the transom i rotten and it leaks. Its not worth fixing as it would be 7k repair on a 4500$ boat when finished. It is destined for the dump.

Just last week I saved an owner a $1500 bill and a year of misery by telling him his rotten boat was not worth fixing. He just bought it and would be throwing good money after bad.

Some times you just have to be a mean person and tell the truth in a harsh way.

It is junk. It will be junk after you try to fix it. It will never be fixed. You need to eat your loss, stem the flow of cash and send it to the scrapper.
Old 07-30-2018, 10:31 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA-in-Mich View Post
Have you walked away from your motor home or trailer because of a major repair while on the road? I've often wondered if I blew an engine, would I pack what I could and walk away from it?
Do you mean literally walk away and just leave it on the side of the road? I'm sure the local authorities would be contacting you at some point to see where to send the bill for towing and disposal.
Old 07-30-2018, 10:37 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
Do you mean literally walk away and just leave it on the side of the road? I'm sure the local authorities would be contacting you at some point to see where to send the bill for towing and disposal.
Lol
Old 07-30-2018, 01:15 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA-in-Mich View Post
And we wonder why some RV parks have a 10 year rule.
Old 07-30-2018, 03:52 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
No, I'm talking about having a major repair happen on the road. I know a lot of you have newer motor homes and a $7500 bill would be a hard pill to swallow but would be doable. With us that have older motor homes, a blown engine would be way beyond putting that kind of money into it. On the other hand if you have some sort of classic or sentimental reason it may be worth it. Just curious.
Old 07-30-2018, 04:42 PM   #13

If its a blown engine, junkyards tend to have plenty of good used ones.

Unless your driving a fugitive from the junk yard, I don't think a bad engine is a deal breaker.

I suppose every case needs to be judged by the situation.

I bought a gas engine MH because my budget and income can afford to replace the engine or major drive train component.

A diesel rebuild would break the bank and I'd be RV poor, with it sitting in the yard.

A mans got to know his limitations.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 06:41 PM   #14
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
If your rv is already beyond the value of a major repair perhaps it is time for a new RV before it happens ?
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote