RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-22-2018, 06:37 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Have you Repaired your Levleing Jacks?

Hello,

We have a 2004 Itasca we bought used 3 years ago. When we bought it we realized the PO did not do the greatest job of caring for her.

Some of the jacks did not work and others did. We replaced the control panel, checked the fluid level and found it very low and filled that. All the jacks worked then.

They have always leaked a bit. We learned here, to wipe them down before raising them when leaving a CG. My husband sprays them with dry lube. We have always done this. The seals were old and probably the cause of the leak but then we questioned any scratches in the pistons.

Have you ever had your jacks repaired? Where did you get it done? Were you happy with them afterwards?

We are not able to remove them ourselves and do this work. We just aren't able to handle that. We would prefer to have them rebuilt but are at a loss as to where to have it done at.

Any info or help would be appreciated. Thank you, Lynne

beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2018, 06:51 PM   #2

You don't say what brand of jacks you have but if they are HWH, I would go to their factory in Moscow IA. I have been there twice and found them to be very helpful and reasonable in their costs. The last time I was there, I needed a new jack(rebuilt) but they did not have any in stock so they sold me a brand new one for the cost of a rebuilt.
There also is a place in Elkhart, can't remember the name, but if they don't have the part in stock that you need, you could be down for a few days waiting on parts.

Good luck

ztlrgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 07:02 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If HWH I echo the recommendation for their factory service in Iowa. You should not have any leaks whatsoever.

I've had a loose connector at the top of a rear jack leak. A quarter turn with a wrench fixed. All four jacks have been replaced for sliw retraction (cleaning with WD40 only works to a point). Two solenoid have been replaced.

2011 Tiffin 40' with HWH jacks.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 07:16 PM   #4
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Find a local truck service or any equipment store such as John Deer. These things are just rams and they will have a source or do in house. They should be able to steer you to a mobile service.

Heck, find a mobile rv repair person and ask them. Yes most can be easily rebuilt.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 07:19 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thank you for the prompt answers. There are a lot of things we can do but this is beyond us. We need to find someone who can fix them.

The Jacks are Level Best.

Lynne
Old 04-22-2018, 10:57 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamisl View Post
Thank you for the prompt answers. There are a lot of things we can do but this is beyond us. We need to find someone who can fix them.

The Jacks are Level Best.

Lynne
Level Best jacks are not rebuildable, at least not easily. The jack housing is welded. I did read where someone cut theirs open, repaired, and then rewelded, but i don't believe that is something a repair shop normally does.

Ours started leaking, within just a few months of each other, last year. I tried adding a stop leak additive but that didn't help at all. I ended up buying and replacing all 4 myself.
Old 04-23-2018, 05:56 AM   #7

Yea... my two front jacks rebuilt at General Hydraulics in Saint Louis three months ago. $1780 in and out the door. I am so far pleased with the work they did.
MO Fred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 07:35 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We found a company in Indiana that you can order new Jacks from and have them installed for $700. If the Level Best are sealed and we can not get them rebuilt, this is probably our best option.

Thank you for your answers. Lynne
Old 04-23-2018, 08:05 AM   #9
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I actually bought a used one many years ago and it has been working fine.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 08:14 AM   #10

Quote:
We found a company in Indiana that you can order new Jacks from and have them installed for $700. If the Level Best are sealed and we can not get them rebuilt, this is probably our best option.

Thank you for your answers. Lynne
Is that price per each?

I did a lot of searching and found the lowest cost for new to be $375 per jack before shipping. This with me doing the work. $700 would be an excellent price if it included installation of all new jacks.
Old 04-23-2018, 09:36 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
No, that is the installation cost alone.

RVUPGrade.com has the jacks. You order what you want and then the company installs them.

Then we have the choice of four jacks and one pump with manual leveling or four jacks with four pumps and auto leveling. About $1,200. more for the auto ones.

It is not inexpensive but we plan to live in this rig 6 months out of the year and messing with the jacks is a pain. We get it leveled and then it slips and the coach rocks with us walking and we have to level again.

The trouble is trying to figure out "IF" the Level Best can be rebuilt and if they can, would it be worth it? Or just get new installed.

That's where we are at. Lynne
Old 04-23-2018, 11:16 AM   #12

Quote:
No, that is the installation cost alone.

RVUPGrade.com has the jacks. You order what you want and then the company installs them.

Then we have the choice of four jacks and one pump with manual leveling or four jacks with four pumps and auto leveling. About $1,200. more for the auto ones.

It is not inexpensive but we plan to live in this rig 6 months out of the year and messing with the jacks is a pain. We get it leveled and then it slips and the coach rocks with us walking and we have to level again.

The trouble is trying to figure out "IF" the Level Best can be rebuilt and if they can, would it be worth it? Or just get new installed.

That's where we are at. Lynne
Ok, i thought maybe it was $700 per jack installed, which from what i have found, wouldn't have been too bad a price.

Below is a post from another thread.

Quote:
Just rebuilt all 4 (non rebuildable ) jacks on my 08 Meridian. It is the Kwikee level best Hydraulic both ways. Total price for each unit was $40 in parts. Cut the units apart at the top weld replaced seals and rewelded. Can send pics of apart jacks if needed and seal part numbers.
Again, not sure if repair shops routinely do this but i suppose it is something to check.

On the jack replacement itself, it wasn't all that difficult on our coach. It's pretty straight forward so might be something a family member or friend could help you out with. I haven't done anything with the pump and reservoir so don't know how big a job that is.
Old 04-24-2018, 08:48 AM   #13
Commercial Member

lynne, you didnt say what part of the country you live in. there are qualified hwh repair centers all over.
on our website, there is a list of master service centers who hwh has personally approved. only a few but very qualified.
many dealers, and mobile rv repair services also can do the repairs. its not that hard.
if you will email me at pfmaddox@att.net, i can recommend a repair center to you.
i live in arizona, i travel a lot, and have visited many of these centers myself.
on your coach, i believe you have a 325 hwh leveling system.
let me know, i can help.
paul maddox
i work for hwh. i do not sell parts or solicit service work on this forum.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 09:22 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My location which shows in my avatar is MI. I am figuring I can get something done in Elkhart,IN.

I do NOT have HWH. They are Level Best and they are sealed jacks and cannot be rebuilt so we are going to get a new system installed. Now finding that system and getting the right company to remove the old and install the new is next.

I will e-mail you later, heading for the dentist right now.

Tags
air, jacks, repair