Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-15-2014, 11:45 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Have you taken a scooter in your travels?

I'm kicking around the idea of getting a small (125cc) scooter that can be mounted to my hitch. It would be used for short errands, getting a few groceries once I've set up camp, and maybe some sightseeing/shopping in smaller towns.

I was looking for feedback on whether anyone has or had experience using one and if so, do you think it's worth the money/hassle?

2014 Tiffin Allegro Red 38QBA
dogs162910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2014, 12:08 PM   #2

We certainly find ours to be handy. Takes a little effort to get them on our basic hitch rack. They do tend to get dirty back there so you may want to keep ease of cleaning in mind when selecting a scooter. We went with 50cc because here in FL you need a motorcycle license for anything larger and we occasionally let others ride them. Now that we have Harleys they are not getting much use. Now that you got me thinking about it, I should sell them. [moderator edit]

Old 10-15-2014, 08:51 PM   #3

We have a 150CC Piaggio fly 150 and get great use of it. Some ask what about the rainy days and we tell them those are the days to get a little ................

A 6" aluminum channel that hooks on the carrier is the ramp and it is sooooooooo easy to get the scoot on and off and we use a cover to keep the dirt off.
Old 10-16-2014, 04:59 PM   #4

Traveling with a scooter

I bought our 150cc scooter when I purchased our coach. We arrived via air so we would not have a car on the 2500 mile trip home. The scooter worked out great although it did struggle getting around Lake Tahoe and the surrounding mountains (an 80 mile trip). We put 250 miles on it in the one week trip home. I think it will do much better in Florida this winter! We are going to tow a car this time too.

I previously had a 250cc Honda Elite. I liked it better as it had twice the HP and was able to cruise at 65mph with two up (70mph with one). I felt comfortable on the expressways as long as it wasn't in rush hour traffic.

Dave
07 Rev 40E
Old 10-17-2014, 01:23 PM   #5

Close friends of ours used a larger(CC) Vespa as their only transportation when they were full timing...rain or shine, never slowed 'em down to their appointed rounds. Rain suits always at the ready, however.

RIP 'Squeaky'
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 05:21 AM   #6

What kind of rack is being used for carry the scooter.

2014 Coachmen Pursuit 31 BDP
waynesc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 10:26 AM   #7

VersaHaul

Waynesc,

I use a Versahaul VH55R0:

| Versahaul

I reinforced the hitch to flat tow my Malibu that weights 3500#.

Dave
07Rev 40E
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Reiforced Versahaul 1.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	321.5 KB
ID:	76882   Click image for larger version

Name:	Reiforced Versahaul 2.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	289.4 KB
ID:	76883  

Old 10-19-2014, 03:44 PM   #8

Sportech did you add the stabilizers to your lift to stop the rocking motion or did that lift come with that?In the picture on line it does not look the same.
Old 10-19-2014, 06:37 PM   #9

dezi,

The extra supports are for towing in excess of the 3000# limit that VersaHaul has suggested. My Malibu is only 3500# so what I have done is probably overkill, but I like it like that. The VersaHaul is very stable without my extra supports. If I was towing a Cruze or a Focus I would have been under the 3000# limit and not had to add the two extra tubes.

Dave
07Rev 40E
Old 10-19-2014, 09:59 PM   #10

I have hauled a Kymco Yager 200i for almost 5 years now and it has served us well, 4,500 miles on it. The i stands for fuel injection, a big plus especially at altitude. It is 176cc. I used to put it on a versa haul but for the new motorhome we decided that was getting to be a little too much so I picked up an aluminum ATV trailer which is very light. We load the scooter on it and go. We also have an inflatable Saturn 11' pontoon boat which will not quite fit in the basement of the new motorhome so that will sit next to the scooter on the trailer. We are getting a baseplate put on the 2004 Honda CRV AWD and when we tow it will put the boat in the CRV. Scooters are a great alternative to a TOAD if you know how to ride, well. Another plus is we get 80+ mpg, scoot all over the beach cities, remote alpine USFS campgrounds and lakes up to 10,000'.

One note about loading a scooter on a rear 2x2" hitch. You need a heavy duty rack because on the scooter the engine is not in the center like a motorcycle but just ahead of the rear wheel, this requires a much stronger rack and the versa haul served us well. Also scooters are designed for two up, motorcycles aren't. Two up on the scooter is easier than two up was on my 1600cc Yamaha Roadstar.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 10-19-2014, 11:20 PM   #11

Being full-timers, we take our Road King (slightly larger than a scooter) every where we go. It comes in mighty handy for short trips back and forth to town. Also good for touring. If you have room for it, take it along. Easy to get around.
Old 10-20-2014, 05:56 AM   #12

What does two up mean?

2014 Coachmen Pursuit 31 BDP
waynesc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 06:03 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynesc View Post
What does two up mean?

Driver and passenger,, hence two up.

joe
Old 10-20-2014, 12:24 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportech View Post
dezi,

The extra supports are for towing in excess of the 3000# limit that VersaHaul has suggested. My Malibu is only 3500# so what I have done is probably overkill, but I like it like that. The VersaHaul is very stable without my extra supports. If I was towing a Cruze or a Focus I would have been under the 3000# limit and not had to add the two extra tubes.

Dave
07Rev 40E
I'm confused. Are you saying your 40 ft revolution only has a 3000 lb hitch on it? I would think it would have a minimum 5000 lb towing capacity with a hitch to match.

Glenn

Tags
scooter, travel