Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2015, 08:07 PM   #15

We have the following system:
EEZTIRE T515/SP TIRE PRESSURE AND TEMPERATURE MONITORING SYSTEM
We have the 6 coach tires and 4 on the toad. The system will read the sensors on the Toad from a good 400 feet away while sitting at the shop when the coach is at the house, so I don't think I'll ever need a repeater. We had a problem initially that tires would display 108 psi and the low warning light would illuminate and the alarm would go off. I would check and the low pressure setting would be 104 . . . reprogrammed all of them, no change. Finally called Tom Robertson, he ran me through the troubleshooting, determined that we had a bad receiver. Mailed out a new receiver that day and e-mailed me a prepaid USPS label to send the old one back, no charge. I received the new receiver about 3 days later, installed it, works perfect. Mailed the bad one back. These things happen, I'd buy from them again. Customer service was top notch.

Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2015, 08:20 PM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have a 5er and dually with a TIreMinder TPSM system with 10 sensors total. Bought it after I looked in my mirror and noticed pieces of something bouncing on the road and blue smoke back by the 5er. Got the rig pulled over. Had a flat on the 5er. Luckily, got it stopped just before it completely shredded and tore the undercarriage up. Cost of the TPMS system was about what one tire cost. I know the sensors aren't exact, but I'm more interested if a tire loses air while in transit. Before each trip, I turn on the monitor and take it around when I check each tire's pressure. When I remove a sensor, the monitor always alarms. This is what I'm more interested in. Haven't had any interference issues to date.

les.warden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 08:38 PM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The only thing i can say to those WITHOUT a TPMS is:
A lot can happen between the morning pressure check and driving for 6 or 8 hours.
Picking up a nail can lead to an under inflated (overheated) tire in an hour or less.

Regards,

Dan
Old 08-13-2015, 07:07 AM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Have your TST tire monitors hiccupped?

I have logged almost 20000 miles with ours and haven't had any problems. Once in a while it will go off while in a campground and I chalk that up to interference. Remember that in the morning it can take up to 20 minutes to go through and reset itself. I have never had it take more than 5 minutes however. I think you will always find a minor difference between the system and what your gauge reads. Make sure you are buying a quality gauge and you should be within 2 pounds or so.
Old 08-22-2015, 07:49 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
I read these TPMS threads with interest because I was ALMOST convinced I should have one of these gadgets.

The more I read, the more I am becoming convinced that I really don't need the agrivation that goes with these things.

Have any of you users had this device tell you of an impending blow out? IMO, this is the only advantage of TPMS because I check my tires before hitting the road and give them the Fish Bat Slap after an hour or so on the road. And I don't drive on old tires.

To answer your question, yes we were alerted by the TPMS of a impending blowout, twice during our last 3,000 mile trip in our 45' MH pulling a 27' car trailer. The first alert was that one of the trailer tires was loosing air. I was able to monitor the tire temperatures of the other trailer tires, as well as the loss of air in the alarming tire, to allow the dh to continue driving to the next exit where we were able to find a safe spot to change the tire. The second time the TPMS saved us was with another trailer tire alert. This time I noticed that one of the trailer tire temperatures seemed to be too elevated in comparison to the others, and what I've become accustomed to as normal. I insisted that the dh pull off the highway into a rest area to check it out. He humored me, and lucky for us he did, since there was an issue with the trailer breaks. The hub was extremely hot to the touch. DH was able to repack the wheel bearing and adjust the brakes. Had we not stopped we would have had a blow out. We are sold on the value of having the system and highly recommend the purchase to others.
Vettesniper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 08:05 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
We have a Tire Minder. No issues but have had some questions. Response from manufacturer is stellar.

Early in the game we picked up a nail in the tag. If not for the sensor we likely would have driven it until the tire failed. We had just fueled up and were good to go for a couple hundred miles.

Got the warning, drove to town. Had to wait until the next morning for service as it was after hours. $47.00 for tire repair instead of 600 for a tire.
Old 08-23-2015, 08:31 AM   #21

I use a TPMS for two things, initial read of all tire pressures each day before starting a trip, and real time tire pressure/temp monitoring while traveling.

I have read enough specific examples on this and other threads where TPMS alerted driver/passenger of loss of pressure/increase in temp which, if not responded to would probably result in failure of the tire.

Conducting a risk analysis: I ask myself the following:

What is the likelihood of a tire failure? (I had one on a TT last year)

What is the potential "cost" of a tire failure?
- Lost time
- otherwise possibly repairable tire now having to be replaced due to extended run on low air pressure.
- Possible damage to adjacent tire.
- Possible damage to underside of coach or toad
- Potential loss of control of vehicle, leading to damage/injury/death of myself or others in the coach or driving around me.

How can I mitigate or reduce the likelihood of the event happening?
- follow age limit restrictions by tire manufactures, replace tires as necessary.
- Keep proper tire inflation in accordance with weights on tires.
- purchase and install a TPMS and use it in accordance with manufacturers recommendations.

By implementing the above control measures, I can significantly reduce the likelihood of a catastrophic tire failure, reducing the long term cost of ownership, reducing time and money lost in repairs, reduce the likelihood of potential loss of life or limb for a minimal cost in maintenance and TPMS.

For me it's a no brainer. But different people will choose differently. That IS their choice. They may want to play the odds, they may feel that their control measures are sufficient, they may not want to spend the $200 for a TPMS that MAY protect their $100,000.00 (or more) coach. That is their decision to make.

Can we move on now?
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 09:59 AM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
I read these TPMS threads with interest because I was ALMOST convinced I should have one of these gadgets.
The more I read, the more I am becoming convinced that I really don't need the agrivation that goes with these things.
Have any of you users had this device tell you of an impending blow out? IMO, this is the only advantage of TPMS because I check my tires before hitting the road and give them the Fish Bat Slap after an hour or so on the road. And I don't drive on old tires.
Ya know...those of us that have had and used TPMS for a long time without problems kinda get tired of putting out fires of the small numbers of folks that complain or poo poo them. LOL

As in any device with multiple manufacturers there are generally a few good ones and some bad ones. Speaking as a TST user I've gone through a few aggravations mostly based on sensor design and choices but not because of performance.

IMHO...

1. TST & Tire Minder are top notch companies. (No slighting those with other brands I am not as familiar with.)

2. Why screw around with the debate of repeater or not a repeater. Just get one and avoid potential aggravation.

3. Once you understand how they work and the factors that affect tire pressure they can be an excellent "pre-flight" check of tire pressure. After that they are also and excellent way to monitor tire pressure while traveling.

4. Most aggravation because of false alarms are based on users not properly setting their cold tire pressures and/or high-low pressure alarm limits. On rare occasions even if all are set correctly extreme changes in temp and/or elevation might cause high pressure limit alarms. BTW...it would be impossible to get a low tire pressure alarm on a tire that has been warmed up by being driven unless you transited from extremely HOT temps to freezing temps in the same day. In such a case you would have to have a leak. I run fairly tight limits of -5% low and +20%. I'm more likely to have a high limit alarm but that is still very rare and often by 1 or 2 PSI and for the most part it is the result of a fairly cool start (and appropriate cold tire pressure) and driving into fairly warm driving temps later in the day. With that full understanding I just silence the alarm and monitor for further changes.

5. Study your system and now its actual performance. I know that my TST system consistently shows my tire pressure 1-2 PSI below my 2 high quality, hand held pressure gauges. I also validate that each time I air up my tires. With that knowledge you can adjust your limits accordingly.

As to sensor design I have used both flow through and non-flow through. I prefer the non-flow through with the anti-theft cover removed. Even with the flow through models I removed them to air up the tires and TST's anti-theft cover is, IMHO, a PITB.

Finally, it is amazing how often folks poo poo TPMS until they experience a toad/trailer tire failure that they didn't even feel but resulted in significant damage.
Old 08-23-2015, 11:11 AM   #23

Nor'easters Club
Have had Pressure Pro system for well over 10 yrs. Has saved my butt 2 times one when tire started losing air for reasons unknown, and another time when I picked up a nail somewhere. No damage either time due to timely warning. Just moved the system to my new (3rd for system) fiver. Worth every dollar to me.
2015 Ram 3500 Dually Aisin 4:10 Air ride
2015 40RE Augusta Luxe
martins192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 08:16 PM   #24

Thor Owners Club
We have TST system and we haven't had any problem with these sensors, key is to turn monitor off to let it reset, takes about 20 minutes for the sensors to reset and your good to go.
Old 08-23-2015, 08:33 PM   #25
WDW

I like our system, but add us to the hiccup list. We have a 32' C - I would think. A repeater is not necessary, but that was the advise we got when we called about rear tires dropping out. Usually the inner dual.

That said, it's a shame fie what a MH cost that we have to even consider an aftermarket product . With my new jeep I can see the tire pressure in an app on my phone!

Taking in the sights with our Trolley ...but life is always better under a Palm Tree
2015 JAYCO 31FK

Western New York
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 08:46 PM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
Ya know...those of us that have had and used TPMS for a long time without problems kinda get tired of putting out fires of the small numbers of folks that complain or poo poo them. LOL ...
I re-read my post to Dennis. After doing that I think this part of my response made me sound like a jerk. I wasn't trying to poke at Dennis but it certainly sounds like I was.

M apologies.
Old 08-23-2015, 11:16 PM   #27

Thor Owners Club
We have 6 TPMS TST sensors. 4 on our 5er and two on the rear wheels of our truck. Two days ago one if our tires tread peeled off and took some of the trailer with it. The TPMS didn't alarm because the tire never lost pressure. A week before a spike took out our Keurig, Microwave and convertor. Kind of reminds me that no matter what protection I put in place things can always happen. The Surge Guard it turns out can be compromised without indicating that its not working. I swear by our TPMS but again there is always an anomaly that can cause damage. Our TPMS is pretty much right on the money.....the one unit behind the trucks muffle always shows a higher temperature......took me a while to figure that out...lol......
Old 08-24-2015, 08:01 AM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Most people don't realize that if you lose a front toad tire your almost certain to lose the other front tire due to dragging and without a TPMS your first indication is smoke. By that time you have front end damage. Ask me how I know this!!! With both tires gone heat is generated that destroys or melts wiring especially for the ABS braking system. The sensors are over 100 each. Don't forget to check your ball joints.

TPMS is a no Brainer.

TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote