Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2015, 09:00 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Have your TST tire monitors hiccupped?

I have the TST-507 system. 6 coach sensors, and 4 toad sensors.
I used to have problems with the toad dropping out while driving.
All I had to do was move the receiver to the middle of the coach, and the dropped sensor would begin working again.

So I got a repeater. Our first trip with was a big improvement. Nothing dropped. I left the system on while at the campsite since it was hard wired to 12v.
The toad was parked at the front of the coach, so the farthest sensor was about 20ft away. In the middle of the night, there was a beep every 45 seconds or so...it turns out that one sensor on the toad had dropped out.
No reading on the display for that tire position. So I turned off the receiver until the morning.

Got up, and plugged in the receiver. It did not pick up that tire.
BUT, when I went to reset the sensor by unscrewing and re-installing it, I got the alarm signal from the transmitter.

Finally turned off the receiver, reset the sensor again, and turned the receiver back on...all was good. Worked fine the rest of the way home.

Called TST, they thought it might be RF interference from another campers wireless device. They said once the receiver gets confused, that it needs a reset.

So my question: Do you get random sensor problems like this, and once you reset, does it clear up for a long time before it repeats?

Thanks,

Dan
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2015, 10:38 AM   #2

Mine is new to me and have only made one trip on it.

I am only running 6 on the motor home. I started with the monitor plugged in and all seemed to be fine. I got stuck in traffic and decided it should be charged so I decided to unplug it. It rebooted when i did that and one tire read 2 psi for some reason. I knew it was wrong so i ignored it for 15 min. traffic cleared up and i reset it and all was fine ever after. I chalked it up some type of interference since we were in wall to wall basicly stopped traffic.

Since these are new to me. Is it normal for the senors to read low? I set my tires at 99psi cold before we left. I read that with a decent hand held gauge and my air compressor shut off set set to 99 so I was pretty sure the tires were 99 psi but the little tst system reads all tires at 92-93 cold. It is not a huge thing, I am just now wondering if they tend to read low or both my gauge and compressor are reading off a little bit.
jbrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 10:49 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
It is just not other tire systems that give interference. I purchased a new Temp/humidity unit and it interfered so I had to shut it down. Anything on that freq or close to it will interfere. On the road it will not happen as much due to distance.

What I can't figure out is my new dash cam interferes with the system so I had to shut it down.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 10:55 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
I have had a sensor drop out on occasion. Resetting the receiver always picks it back up again. I find this mostly when the batteries are starting to get low, but not enough to trigger a low-batt alarm.
Old 08-12-2015, 12:35 PM   #5

Our TST six sensor gave an alarm when we were sitting in a park. An inside tire was showing 261 PSI. I turned the system off, and when it restarted, it read the usual settings. Hard to figure.
TLGPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 02:58 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
I find the system very annoying. It drops sensors, reprogramming it is a pain. I have a terrible time getting it to switch between modes. Sometimes i don't use it, which completely defeats the purpose. I wish the monitor was easier to use.
Old 08-12-2015, 05:45 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrv View Post
Mine is new to me and have only made one trip on it.
I am just now wondering if they tend to read low or both my gauge and compressor are reading off a little bit.
I also saw a difference is readings. But many things can cause that like sitting in the sun for 10 minutes.

So one morning I used my digital tire gauge, and measured the pressure just before installing each sensor.
I pretty much found that all of my sensors read 2lbs below what my gauge was reading.

I am fine with that, especially since the pressure builds as soon as you start to drive.

And Remember, a man with one tire gauge always knows exactly what his pressure is.....and a man with two gauges is never sure.

Regards,

Dan
Old 08-12-2015, 05:47 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks guys...looks like I am not alone on this.....I will try to update the thread in a few months after more trips.

Thanks,
Dan
Old 08-12-2015, 05:51 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
We have had ours fo almost 2 years. Only problem was whaen I had the low alarm set too high on cool morning.
dabrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 06:28 PM   #10

I read these TPMS threads with interest because I was ALMOST convinced I should have one of these gadgets.
The more I read, the more I am becoming convinced that I really don't need the agrivation that goes with these things.
Have any of you users had this device tell you of an impending blow out? IMO, this is the only advantage of TPMS because I check my tires before hitting the road and give them the Fish Bat Slap after an hour or so on the road. And I don't drive on old tires.
Old 08-12-2015, 06:37 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
I am using ten sensors on the system.

Have not had any problems with it EXCEPT for the left front tire (the transmitter that is closest to the receiver, in my case). Inevitably, that tire will not be reporting at all each morning. Sometimes it will start reporting down-the-road, sometimes not.

I am using nine sensors on the system...

\ken
Ken, Deb, & Gadget (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, and grateful volunteers with Habitat for Humanity and SOWERs), traveling in a well-behaved 2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/1100w solar, some gee-golly-whizbang, and a TRAILERED 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 06:47 PM   #12

If you think owning a TPMS is agrivating because of hicups, wait until you have a tire go down on you while your driving 65 mph. Or one blows out on your toad and you find out about it by frantic passers trying to tell you.
Old 08-12-2015, 06:49 PM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
On some rigs (our 2002 Dutch Star was one) Newmar added bracing around the rear axle and I had dropout problems with an inner dual. Got the repeater and didn't have any more trouble. Didn't get any bad readings but you could tell which side was in the sun.
The Magna has the Smartire system but it's the original so 7 years old. Still working OK and it is built in so all the antenna are set.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 06:52 PM   #14

"Have any of you users had this device tell you of an impending blow out? "

I suspect you will not find many with TPMS have blowouts or have been warned of (compared to those who do not) because people who purchase TPMS have already demonstrated (by purchasing the TPMS) they consider tires PSI and temps important (not saying those who do not make the purchase do not care) and would then tend to be the folks who pay much more attn to that and tire age and such leading to far fewer tire issues because they took proactive measures to prevent that
jbrv is offline   Reply With Quote