Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-26-2014, 08:38 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Haves/Have nots

For past year I have noticed the growing trend of campgrounds allowing year round permanent residents in old travel trailers, old motor homes, etc. Am I being insensitive or politically incorrect in saying it bothers me. Some are very junky, and I do understand some are down on there luck, but why does park owners allow this. It is driving many patrons away. I just attended a FMCA chapter rally and was parked between 2 permanent residents, one a family of 3 adults and 4 young children living in a 20 foot 70's Terry travel trailer and a 80's class C Shasta motor home with 2 adults and several kids, dogs etc. The motor home was up on blocks wth tires stacked next to it and laundry hung out to dry. This was a 4 star Woodall rated campground and about 1/2 of the sites were permanent residents. The club will not return due to situation.

Mrfoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2014, 08:53 PM   #2

I once asked a park owner this question and he said the permanent residents paid the park bills and the others were his profit. I agree that the permanents make the park less attractive for me

Old 05-26-2014, 08:57 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Paul

Probably to keep $ coming in. I know of a few private campgrounds in our area that prefer the seasonal residents as it is garanteed income. Many campground owners probably sweet filling sites every weekend due to weather conditions as well. Just a thought.

"For GOD'S sake, be human"
Tomtall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 09:17 PM   #4

In our last three years worth of travels, especially in the western U.S., we've found many, many nice campgrounds and RV parks also beginning to replace seasonal with "full timers". Now, "full timers" can mean anything. Full timers as in nice, well kept coaches and courteous owners, are one thing but, "full timers" as in what the OP describes, is totally different. We've traveled into RV parks and campground with those types of full timers and, never even stopped.

We just kept on going to the next one and usually found nicer parks. It wasn't always easy to find parks without the "full timers" of the OPs description but, occasionally we did. I too understand the economy, and its effects on hundreds if not thousands and thousands of families across the U.S. Sometimes packing up the trailer or, old motor home and try and find a place that will accept you, and your kids. But, does that mean you have to turn into slobs and make your place less attractive?
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 10:06 PM   #5

Could be oil or gas driven. We have lots of oil field and pipeline work going on here in OK, and its amost impossible to find an open rv park around the tulsa area. We are trying to get a seasonal site, but nothings available and the cg's are actually adding more spaces.
I know some of our oil field company's have been sending guys and equipment out to the virgina's because of all the drilling. Maybe Thats why? It an idea....maybe?
I've heard the rv business in general took a big hit from the '08 recession, so the cgs could be just taking whatever business came their way. Once the demand picks up, I bet they will start being a little more picky.
And yes I hate seeing unkempt rvs and lots at a park. You can have an older unit and still have it very "kept up"- in my opinion.
Old 05-27-2014, 05:41 AM   #6

Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millertime1 View Post
Could be oil or gas driven. We have lots of oil field and pipeline work going on here in OK, and its amost impossible to find an open rv park around the tulsa area. We are trying to get a seasonal site, but nothings available and the cg's are actually adding more spaces.
I know some of our oil field company's have been sending guys and equipment out to the virgina's because of all the drilling. Maybe Thats why? It an idea....maybe?
I've heard the rv business in general took a big hit from the '08 recession, so the cgs could be just taking whatever business came their way. Once the demand picks up, I bet they will start being a little more picky.
And yes I hate seeing unkempt rvs and lots at a park. You can have an older unit and still have it very "kept up"- in my opinion.
There are more than agricultural type migrant workers. Had many boiler makers & welders in a local park when a large semiconductor plant was being built, and they stayed on for a couple of government projects afterwards. Then there's the big increase in foreclosures a bit ago. Wouldn't be surprised if a few of those families were ones that would rather live in their TT than a shelter.
Old 05-27-2014, 06:43 AM   #7

We've been to a few places including a highly rated KOA that had full-timers in the rear section of the park, and the front end was mostly overniters and newer units...sign of the times.
Old 05-27-2014, 04:03 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What's ironic is that there are a lot of people who complain about seeing the "Grapes of Wrath" RVs in the campgrounds, and then complain even louder when a campground management tries to alleviate the issue with a 10-year rule on RVs - you can't have it both ways: either the campground restricts the RVs that are allowed entry, or you put up with the Clampetts as next-door neighbors...
Good Sam Member #566004 * FMCA Member #F431612
Alan_Hepburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 04:18 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Frankly, I revel in the diversity we have experienced in our travels. We once had that 15-20 year old gasser with the faded gel coat, so we are sensitive to those that deny service because of age (sounds like a civil rights case!). Though I am not into the "no wheels and up on blocks" style of rv'ing, as long as they don't mess with me, I am good with it. And if there is a purple peace sign painted on the side, even better!
Old 05-27-2014, 04:29 PM   #10

iRV2 No Limits Club
With a very few exceptions, you will not see this in state and federal campgrounds.

Most have a two week stay limit that eliminates this "problem."

Also, it is up to the owner of the private park. We stay in a park that has full timers, but rules are enforced and you can never tell by looking who is there year round, who is there monthly, and who is there overnight. The owners make all the difference.
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 06:29 PM   #11

I find this to be a big difference between "RV Parks" and "Campgrounds". It's easy enough to read the rules of the campground/park and find those with stay limits.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:56 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I found this at several passport America parks. 5 out of 6 were like this. This is just the sign of the times. We had no problems or issues while we were at these parks. This is just a matter of what you feel your camping experience should be.

As previous posters have said, use State or Federal, or even County Campgrounds, and some careful screening of private CGs. Don't expect to pay state park prices at the ones you find more to your taste though.

Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote