Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-07-2009, 09:35 PM   #1

Hay bales to keep warm?

We're in Coffeyville KS to workamp with Amazon this Christmas season, and have been concerned about the weather turning chilly. Our coach is older, and it's difficult to keep warm when the outside temps drop much below 40. Freezing pipes are a concern, too.

Here in Kansas, I noticed some other RVs with hay bales piled around the body, presumably to keep the wind from getting underneath. Can anyone who's tried this weigh in on its effectiveness? Will it keep our RV's belly warm in moderate winter temps? What do you do with the hay when you're done with it (forgive me, I'm a city kid)?
The Incorrigible Dirigible is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2009, 10:34 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
I saw a home built with hay bales somewhere in the west. I had hard walls and outside covering. If I remember right seemed the insulation factor was outstanding. I would see no reason not to use the bales as long as there is danger of fire. When you're done with them find a farmer with cows.
Safe journeys and warmth...
skipwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 10:58 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
I think their use in that manner is valid. Take a look at this article. I have also seen photos of RVs with the bales around them in the middle of winter and snow.

Good Luck with your winter-time job in Kansas!

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 11:45 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Looks like it would beat freezing Your Butt's Off but, I would still be adding some Pipe Insulation and heat under there!
Old 11-08-2009, 03:48 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
I have used them before and they do a good job. You could also hang a light under the middle of the coach along with the hay and you will not have a problem. You will need to insulate and either heat the water hose or fill your fresh water tank and drain the water out after each fill. Good luck and keep us posted.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 04:55 AM   #6

Excel Owners Club
hay bales

friend in Rociada, NM living in trailer on their property for past 5 yrs uses this system. He ,being an engineer, designed a system where the heat exhaust from the propane furnacewas ducted back under the trailer. Warm floors and no frozen pipes etc. Looks like hell but works great.
Old 11-08-2009, 04:56 AM   #7
paz

I would be afraid of hay bales attracting "critters" which would then be attracted into the warm RV.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 05:19 AM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would be concerned about them catching on fire. Once a bale starts to burn it is hard to control. Also mold becomes a problem as well if you wet them and the hay could start gasing. It would be better to use some conventional materials that are less likely to burn or become a health issue.
jDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 05:24 AM   #9

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by paz View Post
I would be afraid of hay bales attracting "critters" which would then be attracted into the warm RV.

Very true on the critters!!

Used to made a winter house for our dog with bales!! Hay bales would be an excellent and easy skirting. I’d lay down plastic and wrap them completely with it. The reason is unprotected they act like a sponge and absorb moisture. I’d probably go with straw since that’d be cheaper. If you go with hay it would have no feed value in the spring since it would be wet and starting to mold. My self I’d buy the garbage man a fifth of whiskey to haul away.
BookIIRoadtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 06:07 AM   #10

straw bales + garbage bags ... propane supply

I recommend that you use straw bales ... cheaper and better insulation ... put each bale in a garbage bag ... then use tape designed for fastening polyethelene sheets together to close the air gaps (you will find it in farm supply stores ... the tape looks similiar to electrical tape but is as wide as duct tape )...

I know a person who lived in a fifth wheel all winter in Wisconsin using this technique ...

Another concern will be your propane supply ... you will probably need to install an extended stay connector to your propane supply ... and have a large bottle of propane delivered to you

former owner 2004 Winnebago Journey 39W
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 07:08 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewer & Nancy View Post
friend in Rociada, NM living in trailer on their property for past 5 yrs uses this system. He ,being an engineer, designed a system where the heat exhaust from the propane furnacewas ducted back under the trailer. Warm floors and no frozen pipes etc. Looks like hell but works great.
My Lord, putting the exhaust from your furnace under your coach ! Don't do that ever. I work in the Heating industry and have never tested the exhaust from any furnace that had no carbon monoxide. This would be a fast way to die in your sleep. In Canada when we store cars and MH's outside we will put out a bit of straw to keep the moisture from coming up. Mice are a problem then. try a sheet of plastic vapor barrier. Do the ground first then around the coach. Works here at -20. Helps to the pests out also. Local hardware stores sell it in 10' wide rolls and attach it with 2 sided tape. Make sure that you leave a couple of holes along the top to let any vapor that may get trapped escape.
Bert_64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 09:51 AM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I was thinking about hay or rather straw (it's less expensive) bales and someone pointed out something I'd overlooked.

Mice and Rats love a warm place to nest.. and mouse issues are common among RV's.
Old 11-08-2009, 11:24 AM   #13
doc

Appalachian Campers
The problem I see with grain straw is this. There is always a few grains of wheat or oats left on the staws. Mice love to eat and make their homes in this stuff. We had horses for several years and I baled a field of oat straw for bedding. When the straw went into the barn, so did a population of mice right behind it.
It is however a great insulation material.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 11:56 AM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you are going to be there just for the Christmas season I don't think the critters will be a big deal.

Transient workers here in the Palisdae CO area where we spend a couple of months on our way south each fall often use straw bales to help keep the energy cost down while they are here.