Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2015, 11:09 AM   #1

Hazard Insurance

Coach Net, which we have, has recently started offering a tire road hazard element to there coverage. Recently got a quote, which seems pretty reasonable. Anyone else looked into this coverage. Our quote is $190 a year for 2 replacements per year due to road damage. Won't cover dry rot/age out/tread separation, but cuts,punctures etc yes. For those with more experience than me, which should be a large pool of opinions 😆, what say you? Good value?
Mike_Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2015, 11:38 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I have only had one flat tire in the last ten years and that was on my car. So for me it would not be worth it. Having said that, I'll probably a flat today! The cost for the insurace is cheap compared to what a tire would cost on some big rigs. Insurance like everything else, is a personal decision only you can decide on.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 12:46 PM   #3

Since 1968 I have been pulling or driving RV and have only had 1 flat. It was a tire valve stem that broke. So that insurance would have cost me 47 years times $190= $8,930 with no return at all.

But as TonyDi said, all that could change today....well not today but the next time I take the coach out.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 03:11 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

The odds of having even one road hazard damaged tire per year are slim (unless maybe you drive on really bad roads). But if it does happen, you could maybe get back several hundred dollars.

Note that your comprehensive insurance might also cover an actual road hazard, e.g. you hit a piece of metal in the road. Probably would'nt cover a pot hole, though. That's more like "wear & tear".
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 07:39 PM   #5

I might have questioned the value until I had three flats in two weeks. On three different cars. None of them were from the same cause, all the tires had sufficient tread, all had had the the tire pressure checked recently. Just bad luck. That doesn't count the time our tow vehicle blew the transmission while towing our RV (and both truck & trailer had to be towed 99 miles home) or the couple of flats that our kids had during the lovely learning to drive phase.

It's not cheap and I know we have had way more than our share of call outs from them, but it's way less hassle than changing a tire on the shoulder at night in the rain. It's like any insurance really, you buy it for the peace of mind, not for the value. Some people will pay and not need it and those people are apparently funding me and my kind
Njtroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 08:05 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Njtroy: Aren't you talking about roadside assist rather than tire hazard insurance? Mike Harriet asked about hazard insurance that buys you a new tire if it fails due to a "road hazard". That's a different animal than a service that fixes flats or tows the RV.
Old 03-29-2015, 08:52 AM   #7

Tire hazard insurance was my question. My tires are only 5 1/2 yrs old, but are Michelin XZA2 ENERGY, with a J load rating. They are very pricey. So one replacement would cover 2.5 yrs of premium. Realize it's a crap shoot on payoff, so was wondering if worth it. In 2-3 years, I'll probably be replacing them anyway.
Mike_Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 09:36 AM   #8

We just got set for the F250 and they had a 25 doller per tire lifetime warranty...anything happens they repair or replace.

Combine that with good spare and roadside assistance and you should be good.

If you cannot carry spare the place we used is nation wide so options there.

Do not think they do 22.5 but that other place may.
Old 03-30-2015, 09:43 AM   #9

One flat in 15 years on the 40' mtr. hme (inside dual) and I even fixed it myself. ya, surprised me too. Save your money.
spsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 10:00 AM   #10

And oops, you're right. That'll teach me to reply when I'm half asleep.
Njtroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 01:33 PM   #11

We've full-timed for 16+ years and have never had a road hazard issues. We traveled constantly and spent a summer in Alaska. We do have roadside insurance.

Hazard Insurance: I'd say just bank the money you'd spend on it.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 05:09 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Does the insurer pro-rate for wear & tear when they replace one? I'll bet they do. That could reduce the benefit quite a bit.

I note that the Tire hazard package includes roadside assist for the tire problem, but you already have that if you also have the Roadside coverage. Unless they have a combined package deal that discounts the pair, you might be paying twice for some of the coverages.

Tags
insurance