Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-08-2019, 07:18 AM   #57

Interesting stuff, I wish I knew more about. Thanks for the education.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2019, 08:30 AM   #58

Alpine Owners Club
Foretravel Owners Club
Glad I could help. I forgot to mention - the B&H unit also comes with a remote control switch so you can have 3 items of HDMI input and 1 HDMI output. That takes care of Sat, DVR, etc. I used this for a new TV install on the slide. However, it can also be for rear TV's and outside TV's. FAR cheaper and less stressful than trying to fish new wiring - especially if it is to a moving slide.
Old 11-09-2019, 06:05 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkatgifts View Post
the B&H unit also comes with a remote control switch so you can have 3 items of HDMI input and 1 HDMI output... FAR cheaper and less stressful than trying to fish new wiring - especially if it is to a moving slide.
Good that HDMI wireless has gotten more dependable, and an excellent solution. The IOGEAR link you provided only specs one HDMI input. Which model did you get and what was its cost?

I had moved my TV to a similar location on a large office/craft table I installed on a slideout. I don't use the understorage coax connection under the slide for an exterior TV, so it was easy running coax from that connection, following other cabling through flex-arms to the slideout, and up through a hole previously intended for a sofa seatbelt. Only had the one Sat HDMI source to accommodate with the SDI converters.
iwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 08:06 AM   #60

I read this thread because yesterday I installed a HDMI to HD-SDI converter and receiver from Amazon in our coach.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also installed a 2X4 Matrix switch (thanks DavL)

We have the Winegard style coax switcher in the coach with coax run to a TV up front and a TV in back. My desire was to run a streaming box (either Apple TV or Roku, we use both) or stream pre-recorded videos via a MXQ 4K box (running Kodi) connected to an USB HD. The cheap Matrix switch sends HDMI directly to the front TV and via the HDMI to HD-SDI box to the HD-SDI to HDMI converter on the rear TV. The setup works well but…..

Sometimes, when a park provides cable or the OTA antenna picks up something (rare), I’d like to switch to that. The problem is as iWhite states; when we’re using our coax for HD-SDI, it can’t be used for TV RF signals…or can it?

I tried using a stand-alone antenna tuner box (mediasonic Homeworx HW180STB)

https://www.amazon.com/Mediasonic-HO...s%2C193&sr=1-4

which has HDMI out but the HDMI to HD-SDI converter would not pass that signal to the rear TV. The HDMI to HD-SDI converter will pass all other HDMI sources (Roku and MXQ 4K box) but not the Mediasonic signal even though it supposedly is HDMI.

Now I’m wondering though, … iWhite said he used a coax switch at the source cabinet and a coax splitter at the remote TV to send either HD-SDI to the remote HDMI converter or RF to the antenna input…I’m wondering if I can use a coax splitter/combiner at the source end (instead of a coax switch) and send both HD-SDI and TV RF to the remote TV and use a coax splitter at the remote TV to send a signal to both the HD-SDI to HDMI converter and the TV antenna input.

Can both signals be transmitted simultaneously?
Old 11-09-2019, 06:01 PM   #61

I didn't read all of the replies, but I solved my HDMI issues with this transmitter/receiver pair from Best Buy.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/actiont...?skuId=6350009

My Direct TV rec is up front, and I have an HDMI TV up front. I have a HDMI TV in the bedroom as well. The DirectTV rec output plugs into the RF transmitter module, which is mounted up front. The module has an output that feeds the front TV as well. The HDMI RF signal is recovered at in th bedroom (I have a 40' rv) and sent by a short HDMI cable to the rear TV. It works very well, but has a few bugs. The pic/sound can freeze once in a long while. I just cycle power on both modules and it comes right back.
Hope this helps
paulooch1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 08:12 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonVBT View Post
I’m wondering if I can use a coax splitter/combiner at the source end (instead of a coax switch) and send both HD-SDI and TV RF to the remote TV and use a coax splitter at the remote TV to send a signal to both the HD-SDI to HDMI converter and the TV antenna input.

I assumed both could not pass at the same time or would confuse the TV inputs. However, the splitter works well at the TV end for providing feeds simultaneously to SDI converter and TV antenna input since the selected input on the TV will simply recognize the correct signal from the source end. Just requires switching both the source end, and selecting HDMI or ANT in the TV.
Old 11-12-2019, 09:24 AM   #63

My wife and I went to Hidden Pines RV park in Ft Bragg, Ca over the Veteran’s Day weekend. Sure enough, the cell coverage was one to two bars, the WiFi was not good (certainly not good enough to stream let alone retrieve email), and the provided cable was extremely fuzzy (snowy). So...hooked up the MXQ 4K box and streamed movies and TV shows from one of two 1TB USB drives I had prepared. The HDMI to HD/SDI converters worked well but one small problem was that the receiver in the bedroom has a blinking blue light that seems really bright when the lights are off even when not watching TV. I guess there are three options to remedy this. Up plug the receiver (which requires getting out of bed if we were watching TV in bed), put a piece of electrical tape over the light or ignoring it (which is what we did).
RonVBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 05:55 AM   #64

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
I read this thread because yesterday I installed a HDMI to HD-SDI converter and receiver from Amazon in our coach.

I also installed a 2X4 Matrix switch (thanks DavL)

We have the Winegard style coax switcher in the coach with coax run to a TV up front and a TV in back. My desire was to run a streaming box (either Apple TV or Roku, we use both) or stream pre-recorded videos via a MXQ 4K box (running Kodi) connected to an USB HD. The cheap Matrix switch sends HDMI directly to the front TV and via the HDMI to HD-SDI box to the HD-SDI to HDMI converter on the rear TV. The setup works well but…..

Sometimes, when a park provides cable or the OTA antenna picks up something (rare), I’d like to switch to that. The problem is as iWhite states; when we’re using our coax for HD-SDI, it can’t be used for TV RF signals…or can it?

I tried using a stand-alone antenna tuner box (mediasonic Homeworx HW180STB)

https://www.amazon.com/Mediasonic-HO...s%2C193&sr=1-4

which has HDMI out but the HDMI to HD-SDI converter would not pass that signal to the rear TV. The HDMI to HD-SDI converter will pass all other HDMI sources (Roku and MXQ 4K box) but not the Mediasonic signal even though it supposedly is HDMI.

Now I’m wondering though, … iWhite said he used a coax switch at the source cabinet and a coax splitter at the remote TV to send either HD-SDI to the remote HDMI converter or RF to the antenna input…I’m wondering if I can use a coax splitter/combiner at the source end (instead of a coax switch) and send both HD-SDI and TV RF to the remote TV and use a coax splitter at the remote TV to send a signal to both the HD-SDI to HDMI converter and the TV antenna input.

RonVBT,

I ran my HDMI-SDI converter signal through my original coax BOMB. I used the AUX port on the BOMB. I then put a coax switch in the bedroom for the SDI-HDMI or the coax input on the TV. Works great even through the BOMB. This allows me to switch between my satellite feed or other inputs such as the antenna. It also allows me to send the signal to the basement for outside TV viewing. I have a second SDI-HDMI converter I use outside. Happy travels!

Craig
Old 11-13-2019, 06:26 AM   #65

Quote:
a blinking blue light that seems really bright when the lights are off even when not watching TV. I guess there are three options to remedy this. Up plug the receiver (which requires getting out of bed if we were watching TV in bed), put a piece of electrical tape over the light or ignoring it (which is what we did).
My converters are out of sight in a cabinet, but in your case I would probably put tape over it. Then again, staring at a blinking blue light may be a perfectly hypnotic solution to insomnia.
Old 11-13-2019, 06:39 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcdukes View Post
RonVBT,

I ran my HDMI-SDI converter signal through my original coax BOMB. I used the AUX port on the BOMB.
What model BOMB do you use? I tried various inputs including Aux on my Windgard and none would pass SDI. That's a perfect hookup when it works, and would eliminate my CONVERTER/MATRIX switch at the source end. Also, you shouldn't need you TV switch, only a simple static splitter since switching the TV input from HDMI to ANT would select the source being sent from your switcher.
Old 11-13-2019, 06:55 PM   #67

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwhite View Post
What model BOMB do you use? I tried various inputs including Aux on my Windgard and none would pass SDI. That's a perfect hookup when it works, and would eliminate my CONVERTER/MATRIX switch at the source end. Also, you shouldn't need you TV switch, only a simple static splitter since switching the TV input from HDMI to ANT would select the source being sent from your switcher.

Not sure of the brand of the BOMB but I believe it is the original that came with my coach. I did find that SDI will not pass through a splitter. I had to remove the splitter in the basement and replace with a cable switch. The basement cable supplies both the bedroom TV and the basement cable connection. Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Old 11-13-2019, 08:59 PM   #68

I attempted to run my HD-SDI through the original coach switcher (BOMB) and it passed the SDI ok but blocked the antenna signal when SDI was present so I took the SDI off the BOMB and ran it through a coax switch like iwhite suggested and installed a coax splitter at the remote TV (also as iwhite suggested). I think this will be my setup.

FYI, I have a Winegard BOMB.
Old 11-14-2019, 05:53 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcdukes View Post
I did find that SDI will not pass through a splitter.
Actually, I had initially gotten a special (but economical) SAT/ANT splitter that allowed power to pass on the Sat side, but that didn't work for SDI. An old basic 75 ohm coax splitter I had works perfect for SDI and ANT on the TV end. I guess it just depends on the splitter, and maybe the simpler the better.
Old 11-14-2019, 09:21 AM   #70

Here's my setup now. It works. I considered the wireless option but I'm hearing too many people talking about drop outs and freezing. This setup has no drop outs but to switch devices, I must get up and click a button.

I found a nice picture of a BOMB that looks like mine but it doesn't have the Winegard logo on it.

You can see that my entertainment cabinet is a mess with cables. I ordered some shorter BNC cables to try to clean it up a little. Also, I installed F-type to BNC adaptors everywhere applicable so I can get rid of the nasty F-type cables.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Entertainment setup 2019 001.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	148.3 KB
ID:	266840   Click image for larger version

Name:	TV Switchbox.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	266841  

Click image for larger version

Name:	TV Switchbox-2.jpg