Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-06-2019, 01:21 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Head sets for communication with co pilot

My wife has no hearing in her left ear. We have a Jeep and with the windows down or tops off I have to yell and I find this very stressful and can only imagine what others think, hearing aid out of the question.

Getting ready to go on a trip soon in the RV this means no windows open so no air. I have seen where people on motorcycles have headsets with microphones and can talk to other riders in their group. Have looked on Amazon and find these to be quite expensive. It would also be nice to have something that can connect to my phone, GPS ect along with being able to talk to each other. Any experience suggestions cost is a concern.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2019, 02:28 PM   #2

Go to a shop that sells motorcycles. They use head sets.
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 06:11 PM   #3

Cardo Scala rider SMARTPACK Bluetooth and DMC Mesh Technology Motorcycle DUAL https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01F7NNOES/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_.zHsDbWHXHN76

Here is a set like I have used on my motorcycles for 10 years. This set of 2 is just a few dollars more than one of my current headsets. Realize that you will need some sort of helmet to out the speakers in and to support the boom mic. These will also pair to your phone to get your gps directions in ear. I hope this helps!
Encmerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 06:14 PM   #4

It might be easier to close the windows and use the ac. We have a motorcycle with headsets and they work ok. The biggest problem is they are very sensitive to any sound you make including breathing.
Old 08-06-2019, 06:40 PM   #5

J-N-Lham-

I have not bought or used them, but the Eartec units always looked nice. Expensive, though. Link here.
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 07:26 PM   #6

My Dad used something similar to this

https://www.amazon.com/Reizen-Loud-1.../dp/B01NCIYQ9G
Chuck&Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 07:42 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-N-Lham View Post
My wife has no hearing in her left ear. We have a Jeep and with the windows down or tops off I have to yell and I find this very stressful and can only imagine what others think, hearing aid out of the question.

Getting ready to go on a trip soon in the RV this means no windows open so no air. I have seen where people on motorcycles have headsets with microphones and can talk to other riders in their group. Have looked on Amazon and find these to be quite expensive. It would also be nice to have something that can connect to my phone, GPS ect along with being able to talk to each other. Any experience suggestions cost is a concern.

Sena SPH-10 Headset should handle what you want to do. They are Bluetooth and wireless. They are a little pricy but are probably the best thing going.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5585.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	180.0 KB
ID:	256003
Pricejh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 07:43 PM   #8
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Let her drive and you will be on the "good ear" side.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 07:45 PM   #9

You can buy cheep Motorola walky-talkies and plug in ear phones or ear buds. Much less money than motorcycle headsets and pretty high quality sound.

Some cell phones are capable of using a walky talky app with plug in headsets also.
Old 08-07-2019, 08:25 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Mark

Interesting I will have to look into a little more. You are correct pricey. Thanks for the input
Old 08-07-2019, 09:31 AM   #11

Whenever I see two people on a motorbike with a windshield and a radio and pulling a trailer and using headsets to talk I wonder why, if they want four wheels, a windshield, a radio and a trunk, they don't just get a Mustang convertible.
Old 08-07-2019, 10:00 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JpalmerCass View Post
Whenever I see two people on a motorbike with a windshield and a radio and pulling a trailer and using headsets to talk I wonder why, if they want four wheels, a windshield, a radio and a trunk, they don't just get a Mustang convertible.
I have a Yamaha FJR with a windshield no trailer and my wife and I use communicators. Still riding is nothing like riding in a convertible.

Old 08-07-2019, 10:54 AM   #13

I would mount a speaker on the right wall so the passenger doesn't have to wear an uncomfy headset for hours. Put a microphone on the left for the driver. A push to talk button on the left arm rest. An amp inbetween.

Possibly a powered speaker from a CB might be packaged for easy install.

Motorcycles don't have walls so that's not an option for them
Old 08-07-2019, 02:43 PM   #14

Head sets for communication with co pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JpalmerCass View Post

If we have to explain it you wouldn’t understand 🤣🤣🤣

We also know why dogs like to stick their heads out the window.

My Harley Ultra CVO has heated seats, cruise control, satellite radio, etc etc - basically a Cadillac on two wheels.....but as stated it is not the same as going down the road in a Cadillac convertible.

That said we do have the headsets as well that don’t need the helmets for support - the main piece is built into the bike for ours and the headsets are still expensive.

The walk-in talkies and earphones is probably the best and most reasonable cost option. Can find sets with everything you need at cabelas or amazon for probably around $50 or so.
Gumpster808 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat