Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-21-2012, 08:59 AM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Headed toward cold weather is basement heated

Wife and I are headed to Branson Mo next week. looks like hi will be 40s and lows in 20s Having a GB crusie master need to know if basement get any heat. Only had rig few months and did not think we would ever have to deal with 20s. If no heat how is best way to protect.

gutsgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2012, 09:26 AM   #2

If you're that concerned stop by and pick a cheap indoor outdoor wireless thermometer. You can get them any where for under $20.

Then you'll know exactly what your basement temps are.

If you look at your basement ceiling, bottom of main floor, you should see a medal pan. About 8" wide 12" long, made of galvanized medal. If you have those your basement is heated as long as the furnace is running.

If not you can add a ceramic heater or heat bulbs, then run genny when basement is below freezing.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
PDR John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:15 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi gutsgolf,
A cheap solution is to put a saucer of water in the utility bay. Check it when you are worried about freezing. If the water remains liquid, your okay. If you want to add heat, PDR John's post is the way I would do it. The heaters can be purchased at any of the big box home improvement stores. One heater in the utility bay set on low (temp & blower speed) should do it.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:31 AM   #4

This is one of the things that I have been trying to find out about MHs in general. I have been looking at MHs to purchase. No matter what I buy, I want one with tanks heated by the furnace so when I am on the road or parked without electricity and it is cold I don't have to worry about the tanks freezing. Of coarse within reason in the 10 to 20 degree region. Many of the dealers either don't know or not saying. Many of the manufacturers don't return calls answering the question. I have insisted while at RV shows and have discovered some manufacturers have electric pads on their tanks, and some blow heated air from the furnace into the tank area.

I plan on installing an indoor outdoor thermometer in the tank area but I prefer the furnace way of heating the tanks over the electric pads. I did find a dealer that said they would add a furnace duct to the tank area. When I ask questions I get a responsive look like, I wish you hadn't asked that question.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:58 AM   #5

To keep it simple, as long as you don't leave a basement door open, you should be fine!

Enclosed areas do not freeze overnight as a rule. When you have to worry is when is stays freezing during the daylight hours. If it doesn't get to a freezing temp in your car trunk or cab, it wont do so in your RV basement.

It got down to 15.1 where I am now, I expected the low to mid 20's. Right now at 0900 it's still at 30 but will he in the high 40's later. I just turned on the water pump, everything is fine, I don't worry about it.

Ed
Old 12-21-2012, 10:29 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
We have a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star which I ordered from factory. I ordered with heat pads on all tanks and it came with a heater switch in the hook up compartment which directs heat into the bay when the furnace is on. Have been in 0 and below and havent had a problem. We hunt in Montana each year in November and it is ALWAYS cold that time of year in Montana. So to answer your question at least Newmar does have what you are looking for. Love mine..
Old 12-22-2012, 06:23 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
A 100 Watt bulb in a drop light works to put just enough heat in the water compartment to keep it from freezing. Works for me, tested it to 10 degrees so far.

If you can still find the bulbs. Try the local dollar store.
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 08:58 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgscott4 View Post
A 100 Watt bulb in a drop light works to put just enough heat in the water compartment to keep it from freezing. Works for me, tested it to 10 degrees so far.

X2 that

Has worked for me for over 25 years.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 09:08 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgscott4 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
X2 that

Has worked for me for over 25 years.

But I would set it in a metal pan or something so the heat of the bulb is not on carpet (if you have carpted bays) or near a cardboard box or what not.... My bays are heated, so the droplight in a metal pan is just a theory or a paranoia, I havent used the idea, but have seen it used in pump houses and know it works great, but there is room to hang it there too