Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2012, 11:10 AM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Help: heading to Sitka Alaska via road and ferry

I am heading to Sitka Alaska via road and ferry around June 15th or so. Am taking my New Coachmen , Prism (MB Sperinter ) now I just found out will be towing my daughters Ford fiesta on a dolly as itís a auto.
Now for my question as I am new to RVing and have no experience using a dolly. What should I be checking, when towing ETC. ANY suggestions are welcomed.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2012, 03:11 PM   #2

What kind of dolly? Does it turn when you turn or stay stationary? The best advice I can give you is to STOP after the first 30 minutes of driving and RE-TIGHTEN the straps that go over the tires (wheels). They have a habit of loosening up right after you start! Make sure you check those straps every so often. Good Luck.

Old 05-09-2012, 05:01 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryR. View Post
What kind of dolly? Does it turn when you turn or stay stationary? The best advice I can give you is to STOP after the first 30 minutes of driving and RE-TIGHTEN the straps that go over the tires (wheels). They have a habit of loosening up right after you start! Make sure you check those straps every so often. Good Luck.

good advise and also carry a spear.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:17 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
leadfoot3, I'm thinking you ment spare...unless you want to go hunting LOL...
1999 NEWMAR American Star (for sale) SOLD !!![* Newmar Kountry Kklub # 19708 * THOUSAND TRAILS * 2006 Chevy 3500 Dually Dmax/Ally SOLD* Curt Q20 (For Sale)* Prodigy P2 *US ARMY 1965-1967 * Disabled Vietnam Veteran 1966-1967 * Life Member VFW *
99-Am.Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 02:59 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by van_fl View Post
I am heading to Sitka Alaska via road and ferry around June 15th or so. Am taking my New Coachmen , Prism (MB Sperinter ) now I just found out will be towing my daughters Ford fiesta on a dolly as itís a auto.
Now for my question as I am new to RVing and have no experience using a dolly. What should I be checking, when towing ETC. ANY suggestions are welcomed.
Howdy,
Just because it is an automatic does not mean it will not flat tow Check owners manuel. It is easier to flat toe than a dolly. You CANNOT BACKUP with eaither set up. I am an old cross country retired trucker. We learn real quickFIGURE OUT HOW YOU ARE GOING TO GET OUT BEFORE YOU GET IN.

You mentioned a ferry on your Alaska trip. You may need reservations a couple weeks in advance to travel the Alaska ferry. It is very expensive with a motor home and tow car. We drove to Alaska 2009 in our Dodge Van (bought diesel pusher later) a great trip. Do not be afraid of road conditions. Gravel from Dawson City, Yukon Territory to near Tok, AK 230 miles of rough graavel, this is the exception. I would avoid this with a new RV and tow. Its a trip of a life tine. Do not forget Glacier National in Montana, Banff and Jasper parks in Alberta. "sign Forest " in Watson Lake, Yt.Museum of the North in Fairbanks, Denali Park, Seward, Home, Whitter, AK. Christmas store at North Pole, AK. The list is long, enjoy, old trucker.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:49 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
van_fl:

Hi from South Dakota. Say, ya didn't explain whether you're planning to head straight/directly to Sitka or whether the Sitka destination is just one of many spots on a general "Alaska trip." If you're Northbound and heading only to Sitka, I gotta think you best bet is to pick up the Inside Passage Alaska Ferry over in Prince Rupert (West coast of B.C.) and hop off in Sitka. It's all alot simpler than ya might think.

Gotta ask......why are ya headed to Sitka with your rig?? Sure isn't much for travelin roads around there. Just curious.

Have a great trip.

Steve & Lynette
Old 05-11-2012, 04:53 PM   #7

You are wise to dolly that Fiesta. I have a Fiesta stick shift and I have spent many hours at Fiesta Faction: The Ford Fiesta Enthusiast Community Forum. There are some horror stories there about Fiesta auto trannies catching on fire, exploding, etc. while being towed flat. IRCC I think there are about 6 or 8 steps to prep the auto Fiesta for towing. One step involves completely disconnecting the battery. Using a dolly is the best way to go. You should go join Fiesta Faction: The Ford Fiesta Enthusiast Community Forum and start searching, reading and asking questions in the forum there.

Flickr: grafxmangrafxman's Photostream
Old 05-12-2012, 07:13 AM   #8

A few years ago we spent 3 months in Alaska in your pickup. Got several rock chips and a broken windshield so don't expect to come back without a few battle scars. My wife and I have said that before we were to buy a used motorhome, the first thing we'd ask is "has it been to Alaska?" If it had been there, we'd run the other way!!
Old 05-12-2012, 04:16 PM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
# Chickadee
My daughter has been working in Sitka as a Traveling RN for the last year and a half. She has found that she loves it there and has taken a permanent position . Her new car has been parked in my garage for a year. She now needs her car as she has had one provided by the Traveling agency. So dad has been given his orders by the DW. lol
Old 05-13-2012, 08:35 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
van_fl:

You folks might likely fall in love with Sitka also. Have a wonderful trip....you're gonna LOVE IT!!

Steve & Lynette