RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-12-2019, 09:01 PM   #1

Heads up on scammer in the classifieds

I have a Outdoors trailer listed in the classified and got hit up by a scumbag scammer. He offered a deposit and if I would have accepted he would have wanted my bank info. His english in the message was a bit off as well.

Here is his second email and it is from a Jerry Young:
An inspection will be scheduled to take place as soon as possible. I will ask my friend/attorney to make arrangement with an inspection agent. He will coordinate and plan the date and time for the inspection. After satisfactory inspection results, the agent will return at a later date for pick up after you must have received full payment. I will be there to sign necessary papers.

I will be coming from PA. I have an impending business close to your city in about 2 weeks time.

Can you support and help with the inspection supervision?

Thanks!

Jerry
(717) 949-7191 (call/text)

Be careful peeps.....seems you can't trust anybody these days and it really is sad.

Past ownership: 2013 FLEETWOOD EXCURSION 33A

2019 ORV 21FQS TITANIUM
Excursion 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2019, 01:39 AM   #2

Yeah, that sounds like sounds like a real offer. Not.

hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 05:41 AM   #3

One way to filter out the scammers is to require a deposit prior to scheduling an inspection. Donít give them your bank info. Make them send you a certified cashiers check.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 06:39 AM   #4

Dont trust a Cashiers Check. A few years ago I played along with a scammer who wanted to buy my Norcold. Long story but, he sent me a cashiers check. It was beautiful and fake. It was for $1100 over my asking price. Again, long story but, I was to deposit it and keep my share and an extra $100 for my troubles and send the $1000 to someone who would pick up the item.
My banker said it would take a week or so for the check to be rejected by the system. By then the $1000 would be gone. The buyer kept texting me about the status of my sending the money. I jacked him around for awhile and he finally told me I was trying to mess with him and steal his money.
I framed the Cashiers Check and have it in my office.
Ront77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 09:03 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You have to be so careful buying and selling these days...such a sad statement of our society.

I would get with my bank and ask them about how to set up for a wire transfer to be sent directly to them from the other persons bank so that all transactions are protected.

Ken
Old 11-13-2019, 10:41 AM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
It's sad, but that's the world we live in today.....

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 01:36 PM   #7

Many businesses are begging for good help to fill vacancies.

If these guys would put half the time and effort into a legitimate job they could do very well for themselves and society.
TCollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 05:22 PM   #8

OP: Do you mean your ad is in the classified on THIS site? If so, perhaps the moderators can look into it for you and possibly block any future ones from him.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 07:22 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTiger View Post
One way to filter out the scammers is to require a deposit prior to scheduling an inspection. Donít give them your bank info. Make them send you a certified cashiers check.
He did offer a deposit unsolicited....next deal was probably to ask for my bank info.....NOPE!

Once I told him no deposit was required I never heard from him again.

2019 ORV 21FQS TITANIUM
Old 11-15-2019, 07:24 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCollins View Post
Many businesses are begging for good help to fill vacancies.

If these guys would put half the time and effort into a legitimate job they could do very well for themselves and society.
The thing is they work without rules. Legit people work within the rules. Thats where the scammers get the upper hand

2019 ORV 21FQS TITANIUM
Old 11-15-2019, 07:25 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
OP: Do you mean your ad is in the classified on THIS site? If so, perhaps the moderators can look into it for you and possibly block any future ones from him.
Yes......I will leave it up to them to look into it.

I just wanted to give everybody a heads up to be careful.

2019 ORV 21FQS TITANIUM
Old 11-15-2019, 07:39 AM   #12

RonT77 mentioned being careful about Cashiers checks. I agree, but will also lump Postal Money Orders in that same bag. I had a guy want to buy a car I had advertised. Said he was traveling some distance and didn't want to carry cash (which is smart), and instead wanted to pay with a Postal Money Order. I said, "Fine, just have it made out to yourself, let me know the exact amount, so I can let the local Post Office to have the money on hand, come look at the car during normal business hours (for the Post Office), then we can go to the Post Office, you can cash the Postal Money Order (made out to HIM, not ME), hand me the cash, and I'll hand you the Title, and the Keys!" What could be easier? . . . . I never heard from him again . . . .

Oh, and as a side note, ALWAYS report the sale/new owner name to your local Vehicle Licensing Dept, and get paperwork from them that confirms that you reported the sale. I do, and it saved my bacon once when a guy who purchased a motorcycle from me never transferred title. I got a message from an attorney's office in Texas two years after the sale (which took place in Hawaii) stating that I had an outstanding ticket and disposal fee for an abandoned vehicle in Hawaii. But for a fee of (I think it was around $1,250.00) they could make it all go away! I contacted the Hawaii DMV, faxed them my paperwork, they verified that they already had it, but just never checked it when the motorcycle was reported as abandoned. It went away. Attorney contacted me again, I told him to pack sand. Never heard from him again.
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 08:07 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
You have to be so careful buying and selling these days...such a sad statement of our society....

Ken
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
It's sad, but that's the world we live in today.....

Scams, cons and snake oil salesmen have been going on since the beginning of time.

It has little to do with our modern times, it's just today's twist on an age old problem.
Old 11-16-2019, 09:01 PM   #14

I get these almost immediately when I advertise anything over $500.00. You know its a scammer when they send you a text or email and offer to buy now with out asking anything about what your selling. The sad part is how many people fall for this. It works or they would not be doing it. Since no one can seem to stop this we must educate each other on what to look for and protect ourselfs.

An offer without questions about what your selling is the very first clue its a scam.

Archie

Madwinger is offline   Reply With Quote