Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-20-2014, 12:14 AM   #1
Member
 
billdor's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Calgary Alberta Canada
Posts: 41
Health insurance

Does anyone have a reasonable source of health insurance that they can recommend for Canadians travelling in the US? My wife and I would like to travel south but being in our 70's with some minor health problems most insurers do not even want to talk to us.
__________________

__________________
1992 28.5 ft. Oakland Class C Ford E350 460 Eng.
billdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2014, 03:18 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
StevenNSteph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: FullTime, North America
Posts: 557
Doesn't your Canadian health care cover you down here? My English and Austrian relatives are covered by their respective countries health care when they travel.
__________________

__________________
Steven and Stephanie
2007 Winnebago Adventurer 38J
2008 Hyundai Elantra
StevenNSteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 08:42 AM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ontario
Posts: 49
My wife and I use Medipac through the Snowbirds Association. Canadian Legion are big supporters of Medipac.
__________________
norml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 05:42 PM   #4
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 17
We just purchased our policy through Sanderson Insce.
Saved about $250 over Medipac.
We are in are early 60 years of age with minor health issues.

Here is there info
Sanderson Insce
33 Cambridge St S, Lindsay, ON K9V 3B7
(705) 324-5433
__________________
terryflt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 10:15 PM   #5
Member
 
billdor's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Calgary Alberta Canada
Posts: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenNSteph View Post
Doesn't your Canadian health care cover you down here? My English and Austrian relatives are covered by their respective countries health care when they travel.
Absolutely not our insurance ends when we cross the border. We are both in our 70's and if you can get coverage at all it is right out of reach price wise.
__________________
1992 28.5 ft. Oakland Class C Ford E350 460 Eng.
billdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 10:17 PM   #6
Member
 
billdor's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Calgary Alberta Canada
Posts: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by terryflt View Post
We just purchased our policy through Sanderson Insce.
Saved about $250 over Medipac.
We are in are early 60 years of age with minor health issues.

Here is there info
Sanderson Insce
33 Cambridge St S, Lindsay, ON K9V 3B7
(705) 324-5433
Thanks Terryflt

I will call them Monday and see what they have to say.
__________________
1992 28.5 ft. Oakland Class C Ford E350 460 Eng.
billdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 02:00 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
StevenNSteph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: FullTime, North America
Posts: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by billdor View Post
Absolutely not our insurance ends when we cross the border. We are both in our 70's and if you can get coverage at all it is right out of reach price wise.

Wow, didn't know that. What about if you were traveling in the UK or Australia, are you covered then?
__________________
Steven and Stephanie
2007 Winnebago Adventurer 38J
2008 Hyundai Elantra
StevenNSteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 04:54 AM   #8
Senior Member


 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,495
Not quite true re INSURANCE STOPPING AT THE BORDER. Some provincial health plans do provide EMERGENCY health insurance coverage (with qualifications) while the insured person is out of Canada. (It does not matter which country one is going to.) But in most cases (perhaps all) the coverage does not exceed the costs that the same service would cost in Canada. Some people have supplementary plans that provide extra coverage for a specified period of say 40 days, but then "Top Up" Plans are required if one wants to stay out of the country for longer periods. But most (perhaps all) Provincial/Territorial plans DO provide some coverage while out of the country but the amount of coverage is limited to that which would be charged at home and it would have to be an emergency. (No always, my daughter had surgery in NY, which was not an emergency and it was 100% paid for by OHIP (The Ontario Hospital Insurance Plan). Cost was ~$20K. This was prearranged through the Ontario health system.

Travelling without supplemental insurance, can be expensive. For example OHIP may reimburse say $1000 per day hospital care but some hospitals in the US might charge $10K a day. The patient would be responsible for the difference so to travel outside Canada without some supplementary health insurance coverage could get very expensive very quickly, so MOST people DON'T leave the country without extra coverage unless they have deep pockets. But there are limited out of country costs paid by Provincial Health Plans in some circumstances.
__________________
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 10:31 AM   #9
Member
 
billdor's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Calgary Alberta Canada
Posts: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenNSteph View Post
Wow, didn't know that. What about if you were traveling in the UK or Australia, are you covered then?
I honestly don't know, I have had no reason to find out.
__________________
1992 28.5 ft. Oakland Class C Ford E350 460 Eng.
billdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 10:39 AM   #10
Member
 
billdor's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Calgary Alberta Canada
Posts: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libero View Post
Not quite true re INSURANCE STOPPING AT THE BORDER. Some provincial health plans do provide EMERGENCY health insurance coverage (with qualifications) while the insured person is out of Canada. (It does not matter which country one is going to.) But in most cases (perhaps all) the coverage does not exceed the costs that the same service would cost in Canada. Some people have supplementary plans that provide extra coverage for a specified period of say 40 days, but then "Top Up" Plans are required if one wants to stay out of the country for longer periods. But most (perhaps all) Provincial/Territorial plans DO provide some coverage while out of the country but the amount of coverage is limited to that which would be charged at home and it would have to be an emergency. (No always, my daughter had surgery in NY, which was not an emergency and it was 100% paid for by OHIP (The Ontario Hospital Insurance Plan). Cost was ~$20K. This was prearranged through the Ontario health system.

Travelling without supplemental insurance, can be expensive. For example OHIP may reimburse say $1000 per day hospital care but some hospitals in the US might charge $10K a day. The patient would be responsible for the difference so to travel outside Canada without some supplementary health insurance coverage could get very expensive very quickly, so MOST people DON'T leave the country without extra coverage unless they have deep pockets. But there are limited out of country costs paid by Provincial Health Plans in some circumstances.
Your right Libero

I guess I should have qualified that but as you have said unless you have very deep pockets you better have supplementary insurance.

By the way thanks to Norml I checked with Medi pac and they seem to be very reasonable at under $300.00 for 30 days
__________________
1992 28.5 ft. Oakland Class C Ford E350 460 Eng.
billdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 11:27 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: casa grande ariz.
Posts: 121
Cool

had heart attachs in casa grande ariz 5days 3stints 248,ooo.oo$ had out of contry coverage my cost incl flight to fort mcmurray 0 dont leave home without it
__________________
hartb1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 10:46 AM   #12
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by hartb1999 View Post
had heart attachs in casa grande ariz 5days 3stints 248,ooo.oo$ had out of contry coverage my cost incl flight to fort mcmurray 0 dont leave home without it
Can I ask what insurance company you had ? And did you have any prior heart problems ?
__________________
motormama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 07:39 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: casa grande ariz.
Posts: 121
blue cross out of country by company and no prior
__________________

__________________
hartb1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
insurance



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RV / Motorhome insurance JEFFOH Class A Motorhome Discussions 22 09-28-2015 07:37 PM
No options left for pre-Medicare health insurance in SD for fulltime RVers WheelingIt Full-Timers 185 06-05-2015 12:04 PM
Private health insurance alternative deefromlv Full-Timers 4 07-11-2014 11:05 AM
Health insurance supplement insurance jacks647 iRV2.com General Discussion 29 04-16-2014 06:18 PM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:07 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.