Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-16-2015, 12:16 PM   #1

Health insurance

Ok, the wife is retiring next month and she had the insurance. After looking at a lot of options that were way out of our price range we have signed up with Medi Share. This is not insurance, but rather a program you pay into to cover yourself and others. It's a Christian health care program where Christians look after each other's needs. If I under stand it right it works almost like having insurance. I won't know if it really works till I need it. Is there anyone here that's on this program? If so is it working the way it should. The saving was a large amount over the cost of insurance. Saving us about 750.00 to 800. A month. Would really love to hear from other on this subject. Thanks in advance.

Tool Man

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2015, 04:45 AM   #2

Healthcare is very important subject. You really need to go to the general internet to investigate this program.

Does this kind of program rate as meeting the ACA standards for insurance coverage? It's doubtful.

Would you be liable for paying the IRS a penalty for not keeping health insurance that meets government specifications? Probably.

There are many people still working in order to provide for healthcare. The truth is that those without healthcare insurance are often treated differently by healthcare providers and hospitals--and they don't get top rate treatment when they're not paying. And uninsured people often don't live as long as those with real insurance.

Old 06-17-2015, 07:30 AM   #3

Really??? People are treated differently??? As a retired nurse I take huge issue with this. However the longer life span is due to having access to regular checkups and preventitive care
Nana25K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 08:11 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
It is legal and no fine will be imposed. It is a Healthcare Ministry and is exempt from the Obamacare provisions. I have been studying them as a better alternative for when we pull the plug.
That said, do research and see what praise/complaints there are for them.
Old 06-17-2015, 09:48 AM   #5

Tool Man, I don't use it but have friends who do. They like it, but admit it has limitations and differs from normal health insur. Its not insurance, so it doesn't have to comply with state insur laws. Most of the Christian share plans have formal exemptions from ACA.
It can be harder to be "accepted" into the program; and you can be thrown out of the program or denied benefits for any "un-christian" behavior. The common example given is, if you're drunk driving and injured, they won't cover your medical expenses from that accident and may require a treatment program to allow you to remain a member.
Many of the Christian sharing health plans do not cover routine checkups, routine lab tests nor any pre-existing conditions. Like many insur plans they will typically pay only a % of the bills and you are responsible for the balance, or negotiating your own discount with the providers.
Lots of info & reviews online. Do your own due diligence and decide if it fits your needs.
Old 06-17-2015, 10:48 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Will it work when you or the wife have major surgery. Like me with two in the $150,000 range? Or will you loose everything? Or will you just choose to die? Or just stick it to the rest of us who pay the insurance even as steep as it is. Life is a choice, you have to make yours.

LEN
Old 06-17-2015, 11:29 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snap-On Man View Post
Ok, the wife is retiring next month and she had the insurance. After looking at a lot of options that were way out of our price range we have signed up with Medi Share. This is not insurance, but rather a program you pay into to cover yourself and others. It's a Christian health care program where Christians look after each other's needs. If I under stand it right it works almost like having insurance. I won't know if it really works till I need it. Is there anyone here that's on this program? If so is it working the way it should. The saving was a large amount over the cost of insurance. Saving us about 750.00 to 800. A month. Would really love to hear from other on this subject. Thanks in advance.

Tool Man

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum

You have already signed up. Are you on the hook for life, or can you simply opt out? Let us know how things go for you.
We are on medicare with a $95 medicare advantage plan, in-network anywhere in the US.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 03:47 PM   #8

Snap-on-man
Check this out. Ga is in plan!
https://www.highmarkblueshield.com/r...orkSharing.pdf

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 11:58 AM   #9

if it's such a huge saving there is something wrong
we use rbc travei health no surprises
Old 07-04-2015, 08:29 AM   #10

I had looked at one of these plans as well was, as I understand it the members all pull their money to pay for others medical expenses, the issue that I that I asked myself, is there enough money and members to pay for another members very high medical expenses, what if you had a hundred members very sick and it was millions and millions in expenses, can they handle that? I would have to dig deeper into it to make sure that they we adequately funded, but if so a great concept making its members live as they confess to believe. And not having to pay for those that need substance abuse, abortions, and other things, that Obamacare shoves down our throats that some of us do not want or need which is why my health insurance went up 50% , yea I got to keep my plan it just cost a lot more. like another $600.00 a month for having coverage I could care less about.
Old 07-05-2015, 10:38 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Tool Man -
After 25 years as an independent broker (specializing solely in health insurance and employee benefits) I would search for other options. While I support the concept, you should know that in most insurance arrangement that 20% of the members incur 80% of the claims and I would assume that this be true with the option you are looking into.

Not knowing what your ages are, I would look to other types of plans including options now available on the exchange. While I am NO proponent of the Affordable Care Act (ObamaCare), it is nonetheless the law of the land and where applicable, may be of benefit to you.

Tags
insurance