Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-13-2014, 01:30 PM   #1

Health insurance supplement insurance

My husband and i are getting ready to retire. Right now we have health insurance thru his work, however, when he retires we will have to go on medicare part b, and part d plus we'll have to get a medicare supplemental insurance.. Can anyone suggest a "ppo" medicare supplemental insurance? We plan to travel, so we need an insurance we can use anywhere we travel in the united states. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
jacks647 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2014, 01:57 PM   #2

I always thought Medicare started when you reached age 65 regardless weather you are working or not.

I am just now starting to research supplemental insurances available to me. I turn 65 in a half of a year, and I want to know the answer to the same question you do. I'm hoping my past employer will offer supplemental policies to us retirees.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 02:54 PM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I highly recommend you get the "plan F" supplement. It takes care of everything that is left after Medicare pays. There is no co-pay! My wife has had 4 neck and 2 lower back surgeries, I have had rotator cuff and carpel tunnel surgeries of both wrists, MANY nerve blocks, and we have not paid one cent out of our pocket! The plan F is more expensive but it's well worth it if you have any medical problems! They even pay the Medicare yearly deductible!

It doesn't make any difference which company you select since they all pay the same thing, at least on the plan F. You can just shop around and find the company with the lowest rate on Plan F! I would only consider the highest rated companies so they will be there when you need them!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 05:17 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
...I always thought Medicare started when you reached age 65 regardless weather you are working or not...
It does.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 05:38 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
We use the "F" plan and insure with Mutual of Omaha. Never paid a cent over the premiums.
RoyalD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 07:18 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
I always thought Medicare started when you reached age 65 regardless weather you are working or not.
Not necessarily and only after you apply for it. https://www.medicare.gov/sign-up-cha...s-a-and-b.html
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 07:27 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Joe.. does it cover prescription meds and if so what kind of deductible does it have?
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 07:33 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
HI,

Congratulations on your retirement coming up, life is good.

We have AARP supplemental Health Insurance with plan "f:" and it is super. You pay your monthly premium and they cover everything except prescriptions so you don't spend any money out of pocket. MY wife has their added prescription coverage through United Healthcare but it has it's own premium. I am with the VA so don't need prescription coverage.

I highly recommend AARP Supplemental coverage with Plan "F".

Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 07:48 AM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
Joe.. does it cover prescription meds and if so what kind of deductible does it have?

No, this doesn't cover RX. You need a separate prescription card for that.

BTW- be aware that there is a Medicare "Advantage" plan where you don't pay Medicare, only the insurance company. THEY are totally responsible for your medical expenses, NOT the government! I'm not really familiar with exactly how it works, but you may not be able to get the "complete coverage" like regular Medicare with Plan F supplement. Be careful!
Old 04-14-2014, 08:08 AM   #10

Freightliner Owners Club
This may help explain the plans. More specific info is available on the Medicare website with your personal information entered.

Compare Medigap policies | Medicare.gov
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 08:59 AM   #11

Thanks. I've researched plan F and I think you are right. My question to you is: Who did you decide on going with, how much do you pay? And, are you fulltimers and does it pay anywhere you happen to be in the United States? And, is it hard to find a doctor that will take Plan F? And, does it pay for your medications or did you opt for Plan D in Medicare? Sorry for all the questions.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:12 AM   #12
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacks647 View Post
Thanks. I've researched plan F and I think you are right. My question to you is: Who did you decide on going with, how much do you pay? And, are you fulltimers and does it pay anywhere you happen to be in the United States? And, is it hard to find a doctor that will take Plan F? And, does it pay for your medications or did you opt for Plan D in Medicare? Sorry for all the questions.
As I said earlier, it doesn't matter who you go with, so long as it's a highly rated company, because they all pay the same under Plan F. Just ask your insurance agent to shop for the lowest cost plan for you.

Yes, it will cover you wherever you are in the USA.

Any doctor that takes Medicare will take Plan F.

No, it doesn't cover RX.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:50 AM   #13

Thanks for such a quick response. You've been very helpful. The plan the agent suggested is "Continental General Insurance Company". However, I went on-line and copied all the plan F (companies that provide it) and I'll be on the phone calling the ones that look the best. Why do they make everything so hard for us "boomers"? Thanks again
Old 04-14-2014, 10:01 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
If you do not belong to AARP, join and look at the AARP plan F.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance