Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-13-2018, 07:16 AM   #1

Heat pump inop, trips breaker

Hello Everyone, my Dometic front heat pump/air conditioner started acting up two days ago. The heat pump wouldn't come on, then sometime later would come on, blowing warm air only. Air conditioner would come on. Now this morning when I put the heat pump on the circuit breaker trips. The heat and the air conditioner won't come on. When I put on the furnace it would not come on, turned duo therm thermostat off and then back on and the furnace came on for a little while, then shut down. On the road and sure could use some help/advice.

Thanks, Mike B
timeforus is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2018, 07:28 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by timeforus View Post
Hello Everyone, my Dometic front heat pump/air conditioner started acting up two days ago. The heat pump wouldn't come on, then sometime later would come on, blowing warm air only. Air conditioner would come on. Now this morning when I put the heat pump on the circuit breaker trips. The heat and the air conditioner won't come on. When I put on the furnace it would not come on, turned duo therm thermostat off and then back on and the furnace came on for a little while, then shut down. On the road and sure could use some help/advice.

Thanks, Mike B
The symptoms you are describing were almost identical to what I experienced. Local RV shop diagnosed a bad fan motor for $350.00 I declined. I only asked them to look at it because the coach was there for a safety recall on an unrelated item. I got home, dug into it myself, and the start capacitor was split open and burned on one side . . . New capacitor was about $20 if I recall correctly.

Oh, and they botched the safety recall as well.
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 07:45 AM   #3

Thanks Hit The Rhod, appreciate the fast response and the advice. Also wondering why the furnace is acting up. I also thank you for your service to our wonderful country, very much appreciated.

Sincerely, Mike B
05 Diplomat PRQ
Old 03-13-2018, 08:01 AM   #4

Can you select just the furnace or have you got a not so smart thermostat that defaults to the heat pump? If it's the latter then you have to deal with the heat pump to get anything. I'm not sure what would happen if you disconnected the heat pump and taped off the wire ends.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 08:30 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
After sitting for several months all 3 of my blower motors on all 3 of the A/Cs were frozen and/or noisy now. Only 4 years old. That will trip a breaker.
Old 03-13-2018, 08:41 AM   #6

I can select any one of the different functions, heat pump, air conditioner, fan or furnace. Was up on roof three days ago, will go back up and check fan.
Old 03-14-2018, 07:34 AM   #7

Went on the roof late yesterday afternoon, removed unit cover and checked around, looked good. Had DW put on the fan, then the ac and then the heat pump and every thing worked fine. Wondering if the air temp was to cold (40) for the unit to start that morning. The rear unit always starts with temp down to 35. Hoping the temp was the problem.
Will be taking apart the front furnace and checking the igniter shortly.
Old 03-14-2018, 02:49 PM   #8

Removed the igniter, has seen better days, cleaned it up and replaced tge assembly. Furnace fired up on first ignition. Will order two new igniters and replace them. Thank you everyone for your help, always very much appreciated.

Mike B
05 Diplomat

Tags
breaker, heat, heat pump