Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-09-2008, 09:18 AM   #1

Hello folks,

Well it's that time of year again and I'm sure that the question of heat tapes and water hoses will pop up as it always does when cold weather comes.

Here is a post that I made a few years ago and placed on several RV forums to hopefully help folks with their questions on proper use a heat tape.. Maybe once again, it will help some of you.

Best wishes,
John

<span class="ev_code_brown">************************star t post here ************************************************** **</span>

There is a lot of mis-conception about using heat tapes and water hoses..

Please remember while reading this ... <span class="ev_code_blue">I am not saying that everyone should do as I do</span>... only that they should research the heat tape/water hose issue and use their own common sense to make their own decision..

There are about a dozen RV forums on the Internet and the heat tape question is debated on all of them..

<span class="ev_code_brown">Here are excerpts from some of my past postings on the subject..
************************************************** ******************</span>
I have always used the regular "WHITE" water hoses... I have never had one to break or melt due to freezing weather or using a heat tape...

However... I had one burst in August because the hose was laying in the sun without any protection. The sun heated the hose up so much that the water built up enough pressure to actually "Blow" a hole in the hose..

After that disaster, I leave the heat tape and insulation on the water hose all year round... never had a problem since..
yes, I do unplug the heat tape in the summer months, but thats only to free up the receptacle for the outside lighting and BBQ..

I have always "Spiraled" the heat tape around the white water hose and have NEVER had a problem of any type...

<span class="ev_code_red">I make one spiral wrap around every three feet on the hose... thus a ten foot hose would have three spirals of the heat tape on it..</span>

Stories of heat tapes melting the white water hose are hogwash...

under normal operation and with proper installation, the heat "tape" never gets hotter that 40/45 degrees .... and about the only thing that 45 degrees can melt is ice cubes and ice cream..

Please Note: A heat tape is different from the "Commercial" single wire type of "pipe heating wires" used on metal pipes like in dairy farm operations...
NEVER try to use any type of "COMMERCIAL" heat wires on any kind of NON-METAL pipe/hose

A "Heat Tape" is a long plastic ribbon that is attached to the water hose that feeds your trailer when you are hooked up to city water.

It works just like an electric blanket does on your bed or the forced air furnace in your home or RV.... It cycles on and off to maintain a pre-set temperature that is controlled by a thermostat.

<span class="ev_code_blue">A heat tape does NOT stay on all the time... it has a thermostat and will cycle on and off as needed..</span>

In the case of a heat tape, it's non-adjustable thermostat is set to maintain a temperature of about 40/45 degrees on your water hose so the water won't freeze during the winter.

The heat tape must be used in combination with some type of insulation. By itself it does a very poor job.

There are several types and brand names of heat tapes on the market, but the only one that I can recommend is the one made by "Frost King"..

Try to get the model with the "clear plastic bubble" located on the end of the tape where the 110 volt plug is.

When the tape is plugged in, a little red light will glow inside the clear plastic bubble and you will know that it's working properly.

<span class="ev_code_red">ATTENTION SHOPPERS .... I was in Walmart yesterday and they had a large display of heat tapes... 18 ft long for $25... and they were the "good" type with the little bubble window so you can tell that they are working..</span>

Heat tapes come in different lengths, simply measure the length of your water hose first and then buy the length of heat tape recommended on the back of the heat tape package for that length water hose.

Heat tapes cost about $15 to $30 depending on length. But they will last for 20 plus years if taken care of properly. Most hardware stores and places like Wal-Mart carry them as well as the insulation..

The best insulation to use are the "Foam Tubes" (about 99 cent each) with the split down the entire length and are designed to simply slip over the water hose.

Most people then wrap some type of tape around the insulated hose about every foot, so the wind won't blow the insulation tubes off.

Caution... do not wrap the tape too tight... you want the foam to retain it's puffed-up round shape...

if you squeeze the foam down against the hose by taping too tight.. those squeezed down spots will not have the same insulating quality as the rest of the insulation tube..

I personally use only electricians tape to hold the heat tape to the water hose and also to hold the foam tubes in place..

<span class="ev_code_red">I DO NOT recommend using things like plastic wire ties, duct tape, string, or any type of material that is not totally flexible and stretchable...</span>

WHY .. ? ... because every time you open a faucet in the RV, the water hose will relax and shrink back to it's normal diameter ... but when the faucet is closed, the hose will swell up from the water pressure inside it..

and things like duct tape or plastic wire ties cannot expand and contract with the action of the water hose, thus creating a rigid spot on the hose that over time could wear a hole in the hose and/or heat tape..

<span class="ev_code_blue">Once again folks.... I am not saying that you have to do it my way ...</span>
I only post this to give you something to think about and to help you decide how you want to handle the situation to satisfy yourself....

Best Wishes,

John
John Harrelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2008, 09:18 AM   #2

Hello folks,

Well it's that time of year again and I'm sure that the question of heat tapes and water hoses will pop up as it always does when cold weather comes.

Here is a post that I made a few years ago and placed on several RV forums to hopefully help folks with their questions on proper use a heat tape.. Maybe once again, it will help some of you.

Best wishes,
John

<span class="ev_code_brown">************************star t post here ************************************************** **</span>

There is a lot of mis-conception about using heat tapes and water hoses..

Please remember while reading this ... <span class="ev_code_blue">I am not saying that everyone should do as I do</span>... only that they should research the heat tape/water hose issue and use their own common sense to make their own decision..

There are about a dozen RV forums on the Internet and the heat tape question is debated on all of them..

<span class="ev_code_brown">Here are excerpts from some of my past postings on the subject..
************************************************** ******************</span>
I have always used the regular "WHITE" water hoses... I have never had one to break or melt due to freezing weather or using a heat tape...

However... I had one burst in August because the hose was laying in the sun without any protection. The sun heated the hose up so much that the water built up enough pressure to actually "Blow" a hole in the hose..

After that disaster, I leave the heat tape and insulation on the water hose all year round... never had a problem since..
yes, I do unplug the heat tape in the summer months, but thats only to free up the receptacle for the outside lighting and BBQ..

I have always "Spiraled" the heat tape around the white water hose and have NEVER had a problem of any type...

<span class="ev_code_red">I make one spiral wrap around every three feet on the hose... thus a ten foot hose would have three spirals of the heat tape on it..</span>

Stories of heat tapes melting the white water hose are hogwash...

under normal operation and with proper installation, the heat "tape" never gets hotter that 40/45 degrees .... and about the only thing that 45 degrees can melt is ice cubes and ice cream..

Please Note: A heat tape is different from the "Commercial" single wire type of "pipe heating wires" used on metal pipes like in dairy farm operations...
NEVER try to use any type of "COMMERCIAL" heat wires on any kind of NON-METAL pipe/hose

A "Heat Tape" is a long plastic ribbon that is attached to the water hose that feeds your trailer when you are hooked up to city water.

It works just like an electric blanket does on your bed or the forced air furnace in your home or RV.... It cycles on and off to maintain a pre-set temperature that is controlled by a thermostat.

<span class="ev_code_blue">A heat tape does NOT stay on all the time... it has a thermostat and will cycle on and off as needed..</span>

In the case of a heat tape, it's non-adjustable thermostat is set to maintain a temperature of about 40/45 degrees on your water hose so the water won't freeze during the winter.

The heat tape must be used in combination with some type of insulation. By itself it does a very poor job.

There are several types and brand names of heat tapes on the market, but the only one that I can recommend is the one made by "Frost King"..

Try to get the model with the "clear plastic bubble" located on the end of the tape where the 110 volt plug is.

When the tape is plugged in, a little red light will glow inside the clear plastic bubble and you will know that it's working properly.

<span class="ev_code_red">ATTENTION SHOPPERS .... I was in Walmart yesterday and they had a large display of heat tapes... 18 ft long for $25... and they were the "good" type with the little bubble window so you can tell that they are working..</span>

Heat tapes come in different lengths, simply measure the length of your water hose first and then buy the length of heat tape recommended on the back of the heat tape package for that length water hose.

Heat tapes cost about $15 to $30 depending on length. But they will last for 20 plus years if taken care of properly. Most hardware stores and places like Wal-Mart carry them as well as the insulation..

The best insulation to use are the "Foam Tubes" (about 99 cent each) with the split down the entire length and are designed to simply slip over the water hose.

Most people then wrap some type of tape around the insulated hose about every foot, so the wind won't blow the insulation tubes off.

Caution... do not wrap the tape too tight... you want the foam to retain it's puffed-up round shape...

if you squeeze the foam down against the hose by taping too tight.. those squeezed down spots will not have the same insulating quality as the rest of the insulation tube..

I personally use only electricians tape to hold the heat tape to the water hose and also to hold the foam tubes in place..

<span class="ev_code_red">I DO NOT recommend using things like plastic wire ties, duct tape, string, or any type of material that is not totally flexible and stretchable...</span>

WHY .. ? ... because every time you open a faucet in the RV, the water hose will relax and shrink back to it's normal diameter ... but when the faucet is closed, the hose will swell up from the water pressure inside it..

and things like duct tape or plastic wire ties cannot expand and contract with the action of the water hose, thus creating a rigid spot on the hose that over time could wear a hole in the hose and/or heat tape..

<span class="ev_code_blue">Once again folks.... I am not saying that you have to do it my way ...</span>
I only post this to give you something to think about and to help you decide how you want to handle the situation to satisfy yourself....

Best Wishes,

John
John Harrelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 12:45 PM   #3

John.... Thanks for posting your heat tape wisdom. I'm sure many will be helped.
Old 12-13-2008, 01:50 AM   #4

My visit to iRV2.com this time was to search on this topic. Thanks John, your timely post put my wanted information right in my hands.

Thanks again!

Rich
iRV2.com Member #216

2012 Arctic Fox 29-5T (Northwood Mfg) 5th wheel - 2014 RAM 3500:cool dually
Rich & Zara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 03:16 PM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
has anyone used an in-line water filter with a setup like John described? I am wondering of the filter would be too much mass for the heat tape(wire) to keep it from freezing.
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote