Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-06-2013, 02:29 PM   #1
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Heated mattress pad problems!

We have used a dual-control heated mattress pad made by Biddiford Blankets for several years in our 5er with no problems. We bought the MH earlier this year but didn't move the mattress pad from the 5er to the MH because the weather was warm. We recently was getting ready for a trip and I decided to go ahead and move the mattress pad. I put it on the bed just before we left and it seemed to be working fine. The morning we were leaving I unplugged the shore power and turned on the inverter for travel. We immediately started smelling something burning! It didn't take long to trace the smell to the two mattress pad controllers! They were FRIED! I called Biddeford and was told that the controllers would not work with certain types of inverters AND generators! We did not use an inverter or generator in the 5er so the problem did not show up there.

Does anyone know if this is true with all heated mattress pads or is it just with Biddiford? Thanks for your help!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2013, 02:38 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Heated/electric blankets are on my shopping list and I also have a msw inverter. Waiting for the experts to weigh in. eek!
so47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:41 PM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I forgot that I had posted this some time ago when it happened!

Anyway, I would still like to know if there is some type of heated mattress pad I can use with the inverter??
Old 01-07-2013, 05:47 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

This is a common problem with electric heating pads/blankets on modified sine wave inverters (which is the most common variety). I can't think of any reason why it would be problem on a generator, though. I've never encountered a generator that did not produce standard sine wave power.

It has to do with the design of the heating controller. A plain old rheostat should work fine, but most of them these days have more sophisticated electronic control techniques (pulse width modulation) and the electronic logic depends on the shape of the wave form. They misjudge the power when they encounter MSW and they overheat, burning out components.

There are a few pads and blankets available that work, but I don't have brand information available to pass on. The best advice is to upgrade to a pure sine inverter (they are pricey) or get a nice non-electric comforter. Or run the generator for 30-40 minutes to warm up the bed and then shut off the electric pad.

There are also 12v-powered heating pads available. They won't have this problem since they run on DC.
http://www.12volt-travel.com/12-volt...641296e834d5a0
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:00 AM   #5

your inverter might not be putting out enough power to run the heated pad.
trampsrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:05 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Again I learned dome gushing new.

I think Walmart sells the standard style electric pads with the old thermostat. It has a dial for the temp instead of digital. Happy travels
Gorlininc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:25 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Exactly way GaryRVRoamer said. It's a problem with the more modern thermostats. If you can find an old-fashioned blanket it will handle the MSW power on the inverter.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:53 AM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
A little more information- I called Biddeford Blankets who made the one I have. They list an analog control for their mattress pad, but they told me that the MSW inverter would burn that one up too!
A friend on another forum has come up with a solution! There is a company called Perfect Fit that makes a heated mattress pad that uses a power supply between the 120VAC outlet and the controller, changing the AC voltage to low-voltage, and I'm told that it will work fine with Modified Sine Wave inverters!

Here is one source for them, and I understand that Wal-Mart may have them also.
Safe Low Voltage Softheat Heated Electric Mattress Pads at Discount

Here is an article about them
Best Electric Mattress Pad Reviews | Review Soft Heat Low Voltage

I'm a Happy Camper!
Old 01-07-2013, 11:27 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
There are also 12v-powered heating pads available. They won't have this problem since they run on DC.
12 Volt Electric Blanket RPHB-70SG-110DB - $28.99 :
I've searched for a queen size 12 Volt electric mattress pad and can only find twin/bunk sized pads, I like the pads much better than the blankets. The ElectroWarmth brand pads plug into 120 V but operate on DC low voltage, The Importance of the Low Voltage Heated Mattress Pad: Electric Heated Mattress Pads | Bed Warmer | Heated Bed Pads | ElectroWarmth
Have read complaints that these interfere with AM radio reception and cause noise, in case you like to listen to AM in bed. But the co. does make a single control queen size pad which I had trouble finding, and the wires come out at the head of the bed instead of at the foot so you don't have all these wires running around your bed platform.
I had a Sunbeam pad that had doubled up heating wires around the foot area of the pad and none at all under the pillow area, when it quit working the replacement Sunbeam had the same amount of wires all over even under the pillow, so the pillow area was always too warm and my feet were not as toasty as I liked, bad design but if you don't open it up in a store you'd never see it, can't do this online.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:53 PM   #10

You may want to watch what you plug in when running on the Inverter, many new electronic devices Do Not like MSW wave forms (really more of a square wave than a sine) also some are running at a slightly different frequency than the standard 60 cycle.
2018 Silverado 3500HD High Country Dually 4x4 Duramax/Allison, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Disc Brakes, Mor/ryde IS, Sailun 17.5" H tires, 5.5K Onan, Dual ACs, auto level, auto sat dish, stacked washer/dryer, residential fridge, King sleep number. Michelle & Ann
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:52 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
A little more information- I called Biddeford Blankets who made the one I have. They list an analog control for their mattress pad, but they told me that the MSW inverter would burn that one up too!
A friend on another forum has come up with a solution! There is a company called Perfect Fit that makes a heated mattress pad that uses a power supply between the 120VAC outlet and the controller, changing the AC voltage to low-voltage, and I'm told that it will work fine with Modified Sine Wave inverters!

Here is one source for them, and I understand that Wal-Mart may have them also.
Safe Low Voltage Softheat Heated Electric Mattress Pads at Discount

Here is an article about them
Best Electric Mattress Pad Reviews | Review Soft Heat Low Voltage

I'm a Happy Camper!

Joe, we purchased our Soft Heat electric blanket from Amazon, and are very happy with it so far. They also have the mattress pads like you prefer. Free shipping included. I didn't shop around at other places.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:08 AM   #12
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
In reading the reviews on the SoftHeat mattress pad I saw where many people had the problem of hearing a high-pitched sound from the power supplies. My wife has extremely sensitive hearing and I'm afraid this may be a problem. I have a call in to the president of the company who will be back in the office Thursday. I hope they have corrected this problem. Also, I want to hear it from him that these pads are indeed OK to use with a MSW inverter. I'll post the results of this conversation.