RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-08-2019, 10:22 AM   #1

Heated water hose question

I have a heated water hose I got with the purchase of my camper. It came wrapped up in hose insulator held together with zipties. I took the insulation stuff off and was wondering if I need to put it back on for the winter? Does a heated hose really need the insulation? I'm getting mixed answers around the park and this is my first winter in my TT.

Additional info: I believe, based on looking at pictures online, that I have a "pirit" brand hose.

AlabamaAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2019, 10:29 AM   #2

Insulation is always better than wide open. We spent a winter once in a cold climate. Wrap the hose and be sure to wrap the faucet. Our hose did not freeze, but the faucet did until I put a 5 gallon bucket over it with an incandescent light hanging from the handle.

450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 10:42 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
You can't have too much insulation on that hose.
Does it NEED it, that depends on how cold it gets.
At some point (probably below zero) the cold will outdo what the heater can produce and the hose will freeze. Having insulation at that point will greatly lower the temperature you can be in before the hose freezes.
Old 10-08-2019, 10:45 AM   #4

USe that hose to fill your fresh water tank and then drain/stow it until need to refill tank again.
Use tank & on-board pump.
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 10:47 AM   #5

iRV2 No Limits Club
Jayco Owners Club
I make our insulated heat traced hose every two years. That way it won't fail in the middle of the night. The heat tape alone will kep it warm enough edown to about 28 degrees. However, below that you need insulation. Simple pipe insulation split down the center and closed with either zip-ties or tape will work.
thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 11:07 AM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Why not capture that heat with the additional insulation. I've never used a heated hose, but I'm guessing it has some type of thermostat. If so, the insulation may cut down the cycling.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 11:43 AM   #7

I'd rather not use the fresh water system except as a backup (haven't investigated that aspect of TT yet, wanted to wait until I had time off work to fool with it). The hose does have a thermostat, and I know that I need to leave that part exposed to the air so the hose knows when to activate. I was putting on the insulation when the park maintenance guy walked up and said I should't worry about doing that. I'm fishing for more input as I'm new to this.
AlabamaAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 11:53 AM   #8

We have spent three winters at 7000' in the mountains in our coach using a Camco Freeze Ban heated hose. I just lay it on the ground as is, no insulation. It will melt any snow around it (we had over 100" of snow last year) and I know from experience it works well below zero. I leave it connected with the water on all winter long. It has been trouble free and works as advertised in real winter conditions for three years now without insulation or disconnecting it when not in use.

The manufacturer recommends to never let the hose overlay itself or use it coiled because it produces enough heat that it could damage the hose covering. Insulation is certainly unnecessary and may actually damage it for the same reason and I would not recommend using insulation without contacting the manufacturer.
Old 10-08-2019, 11:58 AM   #9

Yes, you'll for sure what that insulation back on.

I just did a quick post on how I turned my unheated drinking house into a drinking one. Maybe it'll help you.

NoFreezeWaterHose Products
TriMoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 01:36 PM   #10

Wonder why the mfg packed/shipped it with insulation IF not needed/shouldn't be used.......hummmmmmmmmmm???
Old 10-08-2019, 02:01 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Wonder why the mfg packed/shipped it with insulation IF not needed/shouldn't be used.......hummmmmmmmmmm???

^^^ THIS.

The nature of capitalism is that unnecessary (inefficient is the economist's word) items will be eliminated in the course of commerce. If this insulation wasn't needed for at least a significant number of buyers of that particular product, the insulation would be an extra $ option.
Old 10-08-2019, 04:07 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Our Camco Freeze Ban hose was not shipped with insulation and does not recommend using any.
Old 10-08-2019, 05:20 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
Our Camco Freeze Ban hose was not shipped with insulation and does not recommend using any.

OP didn't buy a Camco Freeze Ban Hose and the one he bouhgt came wrapped in insulation.

Seems pretty obvious and simple.....
Old 10-09-2019, 07:25 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlabamaAF View Post
I have a heated water hose I got with the purchase of my camper. It came wrapped up in hose insulator held together with zipties. I took the insulation stuff off and was wondering if I need to put it back on for the winter? Does a heated hose really need the insulation? I'm getting mixed answers around the park and this is my first winter in my TT.

Additional info: I believe, based on looking at pictures online, that I have a "pirit" brand hose.
Spent last winter in the Rockies so bought a heated water hose. I then put foam plumbing insulation around it held on with zip ties. My hose didn't freeze. A neighbor's did....

DurangoNick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, water, water hose