Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-03-2010, 05:20 PM   #1

Heater switch

I can't seem to turn on my heater. After screwing around for a while I got the water heater to run but still can't get the heater going. My question is on a 1994 Southwind class A is there a seperate switch to turn on the heater besides the thermostat? Do I need to turn the switch over the refrigerator to gas from auto to run it?

We're leaving Friday for Texas on a shakedown trip so I put a small electric heater on board just in case.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2010, 05:39 PM   #2

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
If the propane has been turned off, perhaps the gas hasn't made it through the line to the heater. Is the hot water heater upstream or downstream from the heater? If upstream and you had a time getting the hw to work, maybe you need to try the heater a few more times to get the gas to it.

Old 03-03-2010, 07:43 PM   #3

Thanks. I'll try some patience and if that doesn't work I'll use the space heater and fix it when we get back.
Old 03-04-2010, 06:40 AM   #4
paz

There should also be a switch somewhere on or near the thermostat to turn the furnace off and on. You don't want the furnace trying to come on if the temperature drops while the unit is in storage, so there usually is a separate switch somewhere.

Also, even if the gas is off, the furnace fan will usually try to run even before the burner lights. I don't know about your 1994 model, but most newer RV furnaces have a forced air exhaust, so the blower must be running before the burner will even try to ignite. If the blower isn't trying to run, I suspect there is a switch turned off or a problem with an electrical connection.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 08:19 AM   #5

Look for a slide switch on the thermostat somewhere.Mine is on the bottom.
BOB
Old 03-04-2010, 11:12 AM   #6

DUH! Now I feel like a real idiot. Yes, there is a switch on the bottom of the thermostat and once I turned it on the heater fired right up. I should have noticed it but it is brown, like the thermostat and not visible unless you bend over. I didn't run my hand under the thermostat so I never felt it either. Oh well, stay tuned for more questions with obvious answers till I get this right. Thanks, Bob.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:25 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
No need to feel like an idiot Bob. The only way any of us learn is to ask questions. One of the many things I like about this forum is how eager the members are to help each other. "There are no stupid questions"!

Enjoy your shakedown trip.
Jim28730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 01:02 PM   #8

A stupid question is one you don't ask and end up making an expensive mistake.
BOB
Old 03-05-2010, 07:43 PM   #9

is the furnace on a class a duel heat(can propane be shut off and run electric only)?

Ken
Old 03-06-2010, 08:40 PM   #10

Nope. Propane only. The shakedown run is underway and the furnace worked fine in Barstow. Looks like we won't even need it here in Tucson. I'll send a trip report after we get to Terlingua, TX.