Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-28-2011, 09:57 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Hehr Windows

We have a 2007 Essex and the frameless wondows made by Hehr. Well all 8 of them have fogged up. After talking to several Newmar owners who had them replaced it apperas to be a maufacturing defect . Last year we had them look at the windows their responce was it was "just dirt" . I called them this morning to if they would work with us on the windows. I understand they are out of warranty but if it is a defect I think they should work with the owners and give us some sort of a discount. Their answer was buy new windows at regualr price and then pay to have them installed. I guess all they are interested in is the sale not owner satisifaction. On Newmar alone I know personally about 100 windows that have been replaced. On 2 coaches they have had all replaced and are have had 2 on the new set replaced. Maybe Newmar will wise up and go with a different window company. I guess a trip to Sucoast designers in Hudson, FL is in order.

2015 GMC Seirra
Iron Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2011, 10:24 AM   #2

You don't say where you are located but there is a co. in Searcy Ar. that does windows. Possibly closer? Have never used them so can't vouch for quality.

Old 07-30-2011, 11:35 PM   #3

My door window has lost its seal and has fogged. I checked with Duncan and they are quite reasonable. Might want check for a multiple window discount. Here is an excerpt from their website:

"Duncan Systems offers an in-house window repair service that will rebuild your damaged windows with state-of-the-art methods and materials. The cost for this process is in many cases one third of estimated replacement costs. We also have a mobile repair center that is stationed in Lakeland, Florida to bring this valuable service to you.
To learn more, contact Duncan today at 800-551-9149 (option 2) or email greg@rvglass.com."
RUFINIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 12:01 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Tiffin manufactures the windows for their coaches and have, to the best of my knowledge, since at least the 2007 calendar year. My coach (a 2008 model year Allegro Bay 35TSB, actually manufactured around May 2007), had all windows of Tiffin manufacture except the bedroom emergency escape window which was manufactured by [I]Hehr[./I]

Tiffin's warranty on their windows is 3 year parts & labor, 4th year parts only. I'm not sure if the warranty extends to a 5th year. With a little luck, I won't have to find out ... They also told me the warranty on the Hehr window was 3 years.

During the 1st three years, 4 Tiffin manufactured windows and the one Hehr window fogged. Three of the Tiffin windows fogged prior to an appointment I had at Tiffin in Red Bay, AL, & all 3 were replaced. The Hehr window and the 4th Tiffin window fogged after that appointment and Tiffin sent me replacements. However, the Hehr replacement window was made by Tiffin. I could have taken the windows to a dealer for replacement, but having watched the 1st 3 replaced, I opted to do the work myself.

A 5th window fogged during the 4th year and Tiffin sent me a replacement for that one under the 4th year parts only warranty.

Long story short, while it wasn't fun to have these windows fog, I have to applaud Tiffin for their warranty policy and standing behind their products!

Wayneey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 06:02 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

It's not just Hehr - the Segi brand dual panes all fog up too. And Tiffin has been replacing windows they made as well. The seals between the panes simply aren't up the stresses of traveling down the highway.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 06:09 PM   #6

Iron Man,not sure what part of the country you call home,but if you are on the road there are other locations to get the windows defogged.

Dick.
Old 07-31-2011, 06:36 PM   #7

I've used RVFOGDR in Searcy Arkansas. $200/ window. Great people great facilities. '06 Essex
Old 07-08-2014, 03:42 PM   #8

I know this is an old thread but I did a search and on Hehr RV Windows....what a sham.....3 year warranty on seal failure....could the company possibly show less confidence in a there own Product....Purchase your NEW insulted glass Hehr windows,,,3 years later spend $2,000 to get your windows done over....Great product....I would like to know how many people out there with Hehr windows have Fogged units and just decide to live with them....Chime in, let's get a list going...
Old 07-08-2014, 11:24 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
How long should the warranty be for? 3 years, 5 years, or indefinite?

At some point, the manufacturer has to stop supporting warranty. Do you keep taking your defective auto back to the dealer after the warranty runs out and want warranty service?

I agree that the warranty should "possibly" be longer but by how much?
Old 07-09-2014, 06:18 AM   #10
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Man View Post
We have a 2007 Essex and the frameless wondows made by Hehr. Well all 8 of them have fogged up. After talking to several Newmar owners who had them replaced it apperas to be a maufacturing defect . Last year we had them look at the windows their responce was it was "just dirt" . I called them this morning to if they would work with us on the windows. I understand they are out of warranty but if it is a defect I think they should work with the owners and give us some sort of a discount. Their answer was buy new windows at regualr price and then pay to have them installed. I guess all they are interested in is the sale not owner satisifaction. On Newmar alone I know personally about 100 windows that have been replaced. On 2 coaches they have had all replaced and are have had 2 on the new set replaced. Maybe Newmar will wise up and go with a different window company. I guess a trip to Sucoast designers in Hudson, FL is in order.
Fogged dual pane windows in RVs is quite common, regardless of who made the windows. Bouncing down the road seems to break the seals, and temperature changes draw moisture in.

As has been stated, Tiffin manufactures their own windows. The first one of ours started fogging after about 18 months, and we ended up having 5 of them replaced under warranty. All 5 of the replacement windows also fogged within another year or two.

As of last fall, we have now had every dual pane window in the coach except one repaired by Suncoast Designers in Hudson, FL. The only one that hasn't fogged is the escape window in the bedroom, which was manufactured by Hehr.

By the way, none of the windows repaired by Suncoast have fogged. The oldest was done about 5 years ago. Suncoast now has a 10-year pro-rated warranty.

Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote