Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2014, 10:17 AM   #15

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by debw241 View Post
Greetings and Welcome Aboard!

My husband and I set out 3 1/2 years ago - traded our car and for a little extra cash we purchased a used Class A Motorcoach Gypsy-- she is only 30 foot but plenty big for us. Age is not so much a factor as is mileage. We were blessed and she had really low mileage and had been taken care of -- she's a good old girl. One consideration is however -- many communities do not allow campers more than 10 years old (but often once they look at the condition it is not a factor).

One of my favorite things is shopping in Gypsy because I do not have to carry the groceries/items to the car etc. We park in the parking lot furthest from store (exercise and best entry/exit) and are able to roll the cart right up to Gypsy - he hands it up and I put it away (no more loading and unloading car). When traveling we often do this at a time where we want to rest for the night -- Walmart, Home Depot welcome RVs overnight in most areas (if they don't it is because of community rules - so check first)

We have been full-timing in Gypsy all of that 3 1./2 years. We have our virtual office set up in her and have been work camping for over a year -- so the flexibility and possibilities abound.

Our generator is what came with Gypsy. Although we are looking at additional avenues as well. You may want to look at generators and solar possibilities.

We have had no other vehicle other than Gypsy in that 3 1/2 years ... so tow vehicle not necessarily an immediate necessity and in some areas not a necessity at all.

I don't know the areas you want to travel in, but I do think cost may be a factor as well as length. I have seen some huge and magnificent RVs. I have also noticed that many times a certain length is not allowed on a road or campground (national forests).

As far as permanency when we stop traveling. Gypsy works just fine -- we stay for entire seasons (sometimes up to 5 or 6 months) in an area and have noted she will be just as good as any apartment when we stop. We see motor homes as well as 5th wheels set up for permanent (non-traveling) living all the time. The front is my favorite area -- comfortable chair, tv and lots of area to look out of. Just this month -- my computer was moved from table area to the front passenger side.

Whatever decision you make - God bless and let us know! - Deb

I love that you named her! I named my Teddy, the dog, after my favorite t-shirt company. Hugs!

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Lucitoo & Bailey
lucitoo58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2014, 02:44 PM   #16

Thumbs up wow thanks!

Hey all you RVers
thank you for your responses. I am humbled by your responses. You have given us lots to consider. we may indeed be trying to kill two birds with one stone... and they may not be compatible. But we do want to travel and I know that some people do stay in one place for a while... still we have lots of questions and lots of research to do.

Meanwhile, I want to send a great big thank you to all of you who took the time to welcome us or to thoughtfully answer and share your stories.... and yeah, I think ours will be named as well... You always give a name to that which you love... and I know this is going to be something we will love.
Blessings to all!
Old 08-02-2014, 02:50 PM   #17

I am so sorry to hear that you will be leaving this life. It seems as though you love it dearly. I'd love to hear anything else you have to tell me! I'm sure you have lots of stories! Be blessed... in all of your new choices...
Old 08-04-2014, 08:07 AM   #18

Welcome and I commend you for coming here first. I did the same for my tow truck and my fiver as I figured the folks actually doing it would know more than sales people.
It is a learning experience. We are in our 3rd summer with the fiver and learned something about it just yesterday. It seems that the stove hood vent comes with the exhaust flap locked down for travel and we had never opened it. LOL!
I've told my wife that I am so comfortable with our fifth wheel, I wouldn't mind selling the house and full timing. She is not so sure.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote