Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2014, 05:02 PM   #1

Question Hello from 2 Newbys - so new we don't yet have an RV!

Hello, all.
My husband and I are looking to buy an RV to live in full time. Just us and our kitties. We are looking for input on what to buy. We plan to travel all over eventually - but for now - we want something to move from one Church to another. My husband is an Intentional Interim Pastor and our assignments can range in length from a few months to a couple years... don't relish paying rent on a house when we can own our own travel trailer or motor-home. But we have LOTS of questions...
Motor-home or Travel Trailer & Truck?
Gas or Diesel?
What about electricity? and Generators?
How do you cope with KITTIES?
We'll start with used and work our way up!
as you can see we are REALLY newbys...
Your input is valued.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2014, 05:20 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Howdy and welcome aboard. Happy to have you with us. I'm sure you'll get plenty advice on your questions. It's hard to advise what you would need but shop around at both motorhomes and 5th wheel trailers and see what might work best for you. As they say floorplan is everything to make it all work. Good luck and you enjoy your adventures.
I should mention we don't have cats but we do travel fine with our 2 Poms.

Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 05:26 PM   #3

Carolina Campers
Hello from 2 Newbys - so new we don't yet have an RV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossPair View Post
Hello, all.

My husband and I are looking to buy an RV to live in full time. Just us and our kitties. We are looking for input on what to buy. We plan to travel all over eventually - but for now - we want something to move from one Church to another. My husband is an Intentional Interim Pastor and our assignments can range in length from a few months to a couple years... don't relish paying rent on a house when we can own our own travel trailer or motor-home. But we have LOTS of questions...

Motor-home or Travel Trailer

Gas or Diesel?

What about electricity? and Generators?

How do you cope with KITTIES?

We'll start with used and work our way up!

as you can see we are REALLY newbys...

Your input is valued.

Motor-home or Travel Trailer - That depends on your likes and dislikes. Some say you get better living space options in a TT. On the other hand, you are towing your home versus driving in it with an RV. We like an RV pulling our car, versus driving a truck pulling our home.

Gas or Diesel? - Again, it depends... You have some benefits with both options. Depending on where you travel most of the time, Gas prices ore generally less than diesel prices. You can fill up a gasser at Costco or Sams' and do shopping in one stop, as an option. You will generally pay significantly more for a DP than a gasser, for a comparable quality coach with a relatively comparable engine (i.e.; horse power and tourque). On the other hand, if you plan to keep the coach for 20 years, most people think a diesel will out live a gas engine.

What about electricity? - I think most people would believe that a 50 Amp coach is a better option than a lower amperage coach.

Generators? - The size will correspond to the needs of the coach. Fuel will generally be the same as the coach. I think a built in generator is far more convenient than lugging around a standalone generator.

How do you cope with KITTIES? - I don't, some do...

Just some thoughts to consider.
Old 08-01-2014, 05:46 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you have never used an RV I suggest you rent one for a week or two.

You will soon discover what you like and don't like about various aspects of an RV and thus be able to make a more informed decision on what to purchase.

The top thing on your list should be whether you like the layout of the RV. Tell your husband "If momma ain't happy, nobody is happy."
Old 08-01-2014, 05:59 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Good luck with your plans.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 05:59 PM   #6

thanks for your welcome and words of wisdom... Floorplan~ got it!!!
Old 08-01-2014, 06:12 PM   #7

Motor-home or Travel Trailer & Truck? MOTOR HOMES ARE TO TRAVEL IN, FIFTH WHEEL TRAILERS ARE WHAT TO STAY IN ONE PLACE IN.
Gas or Diesel? YOUR TOW VEHICLE SHOULD BE A DIESEL ONE TON TON TRUCK PREPPED FOR TOWING.
What about electricity? and Generators? MOST FIFTH WHEELS HAVE 50 AMP SERVICE, AND MANY HAVE GENERATORS WHEN THEY'RE BOONDOCKING WITHOUT POWER AVAILABLE.
How do you cope with KITTIES? CATS HANDLE CAMPING WELL--ADAPTABLE.
We'll start with used--USED FIFTH WHEEL TRAILERS ARE EASILY FOUND ON RVTRADER (FILTERED FOR YOUR REGION) AND AT MOST EVERY LARGE RV DEALERSHIP.
Old 08-01-2014, 06:24 PM   #8

Hello All, (Again)
They've told me they moved this post to general discussion. Yeah! I truly need your input. Our future use is traveling and our current use is stationary - yep - trying to kill two birds with one stone... ouch. that one hit home directly! Future use will trump. I'm thinking that we want a Class A, or Class C or C+. But if we get a 5th wheel - then yes, I can see the need for 1 ton. And 50 amp service - check! Floor plan - Check! And yes we are shopping. But I wanted to hear from fulltime RV'ers rather than a person who is trying to sell me something!

Keep sending those comments - I'm listening intently
Old 08-01-2014, 06:28 PM   #9
RVM#87 / Senior Member

Solo Rvers Club

Glad you're aboard. Lots of good info in the Forums here. Best of luck in your decision. Enjoy your adventures and be safe.
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 07:37 PM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi folks! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the congregation!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 08:16 PM   #11

If you get a motor home, Class A or C, you will need to have another vehicle for moving around when you are camped/parked. If you have a 5th wheel the tow vehicle will satisfy that need. Don't forget to include license fees and any potential annual taxes for whatever way you decide. As mentioned Class A's and C's are for someone on the move. If you will be parked for a longer period of time while fulfilling pastoral duties a 5th wheel may be the better choice. By the way our 2 kitties adapted just fine, it just takes them a day or two to get use to the different environment. Once they have been in the RV for a day or two they rip around just like in the S&B.
Old 08-02-2014, 08:35 AM   #12

Greetings and Welcome Aboard!

My husband and I set out 3 1/2 years ago - traded our car and for a little extra cash we purchased a used Class A Motorcoach Gypsy-- she is only 30 foot but plenty big for us. Age is not so much a factor as is mileage. We were blessed and she had really low mileage and had been taken care of -- she's a good old girl. One consideration is however -- many communities do not allow campers more than 10 years old (but often once they look at the condition it is not a factor).

One of my favorite things is shopping in Gypsy because I do not have to carry the groceries/items to the car etc. We park in the parking lot furthest from store (exercise and best entry/exit) and are able to roll the cart right up to Gypsy - he hands it up and I put it away (no more loading and unloading car). When traveling we often do this at a time where we want to rest for the night -- Walmart, Home Depot welcome RVs overnight in most areas (if they don't it is because of community rules - so check first)

We have been full-timing in Gypsy all of that 3 1./2 years. We have our virtual office set up in her and have been work camping for over a year -- so the flexibility and possibilities abound.

Our generator is what came with Gypsy. Although we are looking at additional avenues as well. You may want to look at generators and solar possibilities.

We have had no other vehicle other than Gypsy in that 3 1/2 years ... so tow vehicle not necessarily an immediate necessity and in some areas not a necessity at all.

I don't know the areas you want to travel in, but I do think cost may be a factor as well as length. I have seen some huge and magnificent RVs. I have also noticed that many times a certain length is not allowed on a road or campground (national forests).

As far as permanency when we stop traveling. Gypsy works just fine -- we stay for entire seasons (sometimes up to 5 or 6 months) in an area and have noted she will be just as good as any apartment when we stop. We see motor homes as well as 5th wheels set up for permanent (non-traveling) living all the time. The front is my favorite area -- comfortable chair, tv and lots of area to look out of. Just this month -- my computer was moved from table area to the front passenger side.

Whatever decision you make - God bless and let us know! - Deb
debw241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 10:21 AM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Welcome and glad to meet you!
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 10:47 AM   #14

We aren't frequent travellers (5000 miles in 3 years). We've had both a Class C (26') and now have a Class A (32'). As different as chalk and cheese.

I'm under 6', and still kept hitting my head on the edge of the bunk going into the driver's seat from the house section. I also didn't like that big overhanging box impeding my upward field of view out of the widshield. There were many other dislkies, mainly due to the floorplan, but not specifically because it was a "C".

The extra spaciousness in the driver/front passenger area of the "A" is the biggest plus, particularly the outward visibilty. It's also good from a driving viewpoint that the body width where you sit to drive it is the same as the house section. Additionally, the captain's chairs can be turned 180 to face the living room. Can't do that in most "C"s. Ours is a front-engine gasser, so there's still an engine cover "dog-house", but it's not as intrusive because of the extra width in that area.

We're gradually being forced out of the lifestyle, as gas prices and CG fees keep climbing. The rig will probably be on the market after Labor Day. Not sure how long it will take to sell, but we probably won't use it again.