Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-31-2014, 11:46 PM   #1

Hello from Kelowna, BC

Newbies to this site from Kelowna, BC, Canada. We have been RVing for around 8 years. We started with a 26 ft Corsair Excella, now in a 34 ft. 2002 National Palisades, that we recently gutted the interior of and customized. We have made the decision to go full time in 2015, staying 5 or 6 months a year at our permanent site, and heading down South for the remainder. Looking to trade in our unit for something new, so looking for insights on choosing a new unit and for making the transition to a full time RV lifestyle.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2014, 12:04 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Good luck with a solution.

See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 12:21 AM   #3
RVM#87 / Senior Member

Solo Rvers Club

Glad you're aboard. Best of luck in your search and decision on a new rig. Enjoy your adventures and be safe.
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 07:20 AM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Welcome to IRV2! It's great to have you join the gang here!

Hope the fulltiming works out good for you!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 07:30 AM   #5

Welcome from one Canadian to another. We have been full timing for 4 years now, and we just love it. Good luck on finding your next purchase. Safe travels.
Old 11-01-2014, 10:12 AM   #6

Thanks to all for the welcome

We are currently researching and looking at new units. There are so many to choose from, and I think that the more we look at, the more confused we are becoming. So far, the front runners are the 2015 Bighorn 3875FB, 3160EL, Montana 3610RL, 3900FB and the Solitude 369RL. It's a good thing that we are not in any hurry to make a decision!
Old 11-01-2014, 10:39 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Welcome and great decision to spend more time in your RV.

IMO the main issue will be floor plan and amenities. Floor plan being the most important. With your experience you should have a good idea about what works for you and what could be improved. You know that no matter where you are there will be weather days that will keep you inside for extended periods. If you are comfortable during those times you will be happier overall.

I have not seen any yet but have heard grand things about the front living room models.

Amenities such as stackable washer dryer are a must in our books. DW really likes the convenience of doing laundry on her schedule. The only thing she missed about using the laundry was the socializing while waiting for the laundry.

We opted out of the dishwasher in favor of extra drawers. While the dishwasher would have been nice we do not have enough place settings to fill it so would have to run it daily. Could not rationalize buying more dishes or running it every day.

Buy up as close as you can to the best model no matter what brand you pick. They all seem to go through the same assembly line so the work quality will be about the same as the same workers are doing the tasks. However the quality of the materials generally increases with the upscale models.

Avoid at all costs the units constructed with pressed wood. They will last for a good amount of time but if using long term the pressed wood will not last as long as real wood.

Get as much insulation as you can as well as double glazed windows. The extra insulation will keep the cold out as well as the heat when you encounter hot temperatures. Extra insulation will also make the unit quieter.

Depending where you are planning to spend your time you may wish to add an extra air conditioner or bigger furnace. If you can get a demand water heating system it will be a bonus you will come to appreciate. No more running out of hot water!

A tub or a large shower are on my list of must have's. An RO system is something to be considered at a minimum for drinking water and ice making.

Ice making - get a house fridge if at all possible. While there are lots of good evaporative fridges out there we absolutely enjoy our house fridge. It is a must on our list of wants.

King size or queen size bed. Your choice but our king size is very comfortable. So was the queen size. A toss up in our books.

Good luck with selecting the perfect model for your future RV'ing.
Old 11-01-2014, 10:39 AM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Welcome to the forum....take your time researching rigs before settling on "the one"...check out the owners forums and read older posts around issues that owners have with their particular rigs.....Good Luck...

Safe and Happy Travels.
Old 11-01-2014, 10:54 AM   #9

If it's possible a washer and dryer is so nice to have especially if your fulltiming.... Not the combo as you can only wash a small amount at a time and dry a small amount at a time..
Old 11-01-2014, 12:19 PM   #10

Evergreen Owners Club
Welcome aboard !!!!
mo5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 05:25 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Welcome and glad to meet you!
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 12:42 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Welcome from another BCer! The fact that you have rv'ed for awhile will be helpful in deciding what you will really want to have in a new RV. Good luck in your search.
Old 11-02-2014, 11:16 PM   #13

Having Rv'd for quite a few years, I'm pretty sure of a lot of the features that are must haves on our list. Unfortunately, most of our experience is as 'plunkers'. We have had a leased site for 5 years, and have not had to tow a unit, worry about weights, or worry about where to put things. Something tells me that I am going to have to part with my shoe and purse collection, as I don't think there is a unit out there that will handle it all.
Old 11-04-2014, 10:31 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snownomore View Post
Having Rv'd for quite a few years, I'm pretty sure of a lot of the features that are must haves on our list. Unfortunately, most of our experience is as 'plunkers'. We have had a leased site for 5 years, and have not had to tow a unit, worry about weights, or worry about where to put things. Something tells me that I am going to have to part with my shoe and purse collection, as I don't think there is a unit out there that will handle it all.
HMMMM . . . . What about a toyhauler with the garage converted to a walk in closet?